A L E C - The American Legislative Exchange Council.

It's not a corporation, or, at least it's not one lobbying for itself. It's a clearing house for hooking up compliant legislators with lobbying interests. It organizes efforts to get legislation passed that favor it's member companies. It's fair to say this isn't "new", but ALEC really takes it to the next level. Corporate lobbyists write legislation in the form of 'templates' that are distributed by ALEC to legislators. What could be easier? "Legislators" can appease their backers and don't even have to bother writing laws. ALEC is ugly business.

Look up ALICE. It does the exact same thing for the left. I refuse to pretend that the problem exist only on one side.

I posted links to ALICE earlier in the thread. The difference is money and transparency. ALICE promotes specific legislation, but it doesn't wine and dine legislators at 5-star resorts in secret and it's staffed by volunteers, not high-priced lobbyists.

I also posted earlier that ALL of these lobbying groups need to become and/or remain transparent. Businesses, environmental groups, unions, etc all have the right to lobby their government - just not in secret and not with secret campaign money and gifts.

Transparency, transparency, transparency. Just as important as a fair and simple tax code, and laws requiring public budgets that are balanced as our species pursues its quest for Sentience and the stars.

Oh, I get it, the difference is you like what one of them does, so you are willing to ignore the problems, which allows you to pretend the other side is evil.

ALEC has at least one activist group that watches everything they do, and various state laws require them to report donors and all lobbying activity, they are more transparent than most unions, all of which write sample legislation for various states and the federal government.

Why can your type never bring yourself to even get a little bit mad at the corporate world no matter what they do? It's the politicians fault for accepting the bribe but not the briber? Plutocracy is team sport and I tend to be at least as harsh with the puppeteer as the puppet, if not more so.

Because I am smart enough not to get mad at symptoms.

The symptoms like ALEC are hints and indicators that point to a disease of a broad culture of corruption among legislators, elected administrators and the would-be kings of America.
Ignore them at your peril, Monkeys.

Survival of the fittest explains the model we see, survival of the species is what defines 'Sentience', and the Monkeys are so fucking close... so fucking close.

Fair and simple taxes, public budgets that are balanced by law, transparency in all things politics, and then, build an economy that your kids can drive to the stars.
:smoke: Not rocket science, y'all.

You sound like a doctor that thinks leeches are the best treatment for hemophilia.

Last edited:
ALEC isn't a corporation in the sense you imply here. It's a 501 c "Association" of corporations, designed to make the profitable lobbying of the legislatures of all 50 states as efficient and secret as possible.

Read at least one link in the opening post or Google it for yourself and find a link you prefer. It helps in these discussions if you have a fucking clue as to what you're talking about.

So is ALICE. Unless you admit that you will remain the partisan hack you are.

You're starting to look stupid and you're not - you're simply uneducated... READ THE FUCKING THREAD!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...legislative-exchange-council.html#post6434134
http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...gislative-exchange-council-2.html#post6434736

I didn't read the whole fucking thread. If you want me to go back and call you an idiot over those posts also post the links for me again, until then I will stick to pointing out your general idiocy instead of your specific idiocy.

There is no 'definition' for government. Government is here to do whatever YOU, The People want it to do!

The trick is to have everything government does out in the open for ALL to discuss.

Transparency...
Transparency...​
Transparency!​

Then it is simple, I want it to do nothing. The problem is you think it needs to protect you from people like me, and demand it be bigger and stronger in order to stifle the people who refuse to bow down.

Lobbyists LIVE to influence politicians! All of them... Your beef is that ALEC lobbies for corporations. It's a totally fucking retarded to think they do anything different then any other lobby does.

It's totally retarded to assume you know what they do without any investigation. As the OP and others have pointed out, ALEC is a quantum leap from ordinary lobbying efforts. It's the same kind of influence peddling, but on a massive scale that, essentially, turns the whole process into a franchise.

Most of you can't see past the partisan pissing match aspect of this story - but you should look. It's really poisonous stuff, regardless of whose 'side' they're on.

It is NOT a quantum leap. It is EXACTLY the same. What you don't like is that its aim is antithetical to the "social justice" agenda of progressives!

And what led you to that conclusion??

It's not like there are not liberal progressive lobby efforts idgit! The two should balance each other out just fine thank you very fucking much!

Yeah. Whatever. There's more to this than partisan tit-for-tat.

Last edited:
It's totally retarded to assume you know what they do without any investigation. As the OP and others have pointed out, ALEC is a quantum leap from ordinary lobbying efforts. It's the same kind of influence peddling, but on a massive scale that, essentially, turns the whole process into a franchise.

Most of you can't see past the partisan pissing match aspect of this story - but you should look. It's really poisonous stuff, regardless of whose 'side' they're on.

It is NOT a quantum leap. It is EXACTLY the same. What you don't like is that its aim is antithetical to the "social justice" agenda of progressives!

It's not like there are not liberal progressive lobby efforts idgit! The two should balance each other out just fine thank you very fucking much!

Yeah. Whatever. There's more to this that partisan tit-for-tat.

No, there is not. And further...NOTHING that you or others have posted shows that ALEC is any more of an influence effort than any other lobbyist- It just so happens that it is a lobby effort antithetical to the progressive lobby efforts of the social justice crowd.

Get a flipping grip and pull your big boy pants up!

Yeah. Whatever. There's more to this that partisan tit-for-tat.

No, there is not. And further...NOTHING that you or others have posted shows that ALEC is any more of an influence effort than any other lobbyist- It just so happens that it is a lobby effort antithetical to the progressive lobby efforts of the social justice crowd.

Get a flipping grip and pull your big boy pants up!

Sure. I'll do that while you're pulling your head out of your ass and educating yourself on the topic of the thread.

The alarming thing about ALEC isn't the fact that corporations are attempting to buy influence. It's that our legislators have become so brazen and "efficient" when it comes to selling it. Seriously, try to break out of your partisan fixation long enough to realize that something is seriously wrong here. "Both sides do it" is no excuse for bad government.

Last edited:
Lobbyists LIVE to influence politicians! All of them... Your beef is that ALEC lobbies for corporations. It's a totally fucking retarded to think they do anything different then any other lobby does.

It is NOT a quantum leap. It is EXACTLY the same. What you don't like is that its aim is antithetical to the "social justice" agenda of progressives! It's not like there are not liberal progressive lobby efforts idgit! The two should balance each other out just fine thank you very fucking much!

Two wrongs make a right? :eusa_think:

:eusa_hand: Pass!

Transparency in ALL things politics.

Look up ALICE. It does the exact same thing for the left. I refuse to pretend that the problem exist only on one side.

I posted links to ALICE earlier in the thread. The difference is money and transparency. ALICE promotes specific legislation, but it doesn't wine and dine legislators at 5-star resorts in secret and it's staffed by volunteers, not high-priced lobbyists.

I also posted earlier that ALL of these lobbying groups need to become and/or remain transparent. Businesses, environmental groups, unions, etc all have the right to lobby their government - just not in secret and not with secret campaign money and gifts.

Transparency, transparency, transparency. Just as important as a fair and simple tax code, and laws requiring public budgets that are balanced as our species pursues its quest for Sentience and the stars.

Oh, I get it, the difference is you like what one of them does, so you are willing to ignore the problems, which allows you to pretend the other side is evil.

ALEC has at least one activist group that watches everything they do, and various state laws require them to report donors and all lobbying activity, they are more transparent than most unions, all of which write sample legislation for various states and the federal government.

If you feel like you have an understanding of the accusations against ALEC and you're o.k. with it, that's all this reporter can ask.

Carry on, Bro'.... as will I.

Because I am smart enough not to get mad at symptoms.

The symptoms like ALEC are hints and indicators that point to a disease of a broad culture of corruption among legislators, elected administrators and the would-be kings of America.
Ignore them at your peril, Monkeys.

Survival of the fittest explains the model we see, survival of the species is what defines 'Sentience', and the Monkeys are so fucking close... so fucking close.

Fair and simple taxes, public budgets that are balanced by law, transparency in all things politics, and then, build an economy that your kids can drive to the stars.
:smoke: Not rocket science, y'all.

You sound like a doctor that thinks leeches are the best treatment for hemophilia.

:lmao:
Good one, QW!

There is no 'definition' for government. Government is here to do whatever YOU, The People want it to do!

The trick is to have everything government does out in the open for ALL to discuss.

Transparency...
Transparency...​
Transparency!​

Then it is simple, I want it to do nothing. The problem is you think it needs to protect you from people like me, and demand it be bigger and stronger in order to stifle the people who refuse to bow down.

Got a Link to those words coming off my keyboard? I reiterate... transparency is better than corruption and secrecy.

Well, this thread sure has taught me something. That is that there are some people who have no problem or no backbone in letting Big Money control our government to the point of writing their own legislation/laws. Of course this is a great example of plutocracy and the demise of the democratic process. Our Founding Fathers must be so proud of these wimps.

Transparency...
Transparency...​
Transparency!​

Got a Link to those words coming off my keyboard? I reiterate... transparency is better than corruption and secrecy.

ALEC is not the source of the corruption.

ALEC is not the source of the corruption.

Ok, so it's merely the conduit. Does that mean we should just turn a blind eye to what's going on?

Of course not! ALEC is a clearinghouse for multiple corporate sources.

The problem with ALEC is not that they lobby, it's that they lobby in secret.

If any given corporation or union or whatever wants to drop a buck or two in to the war chest of a candidate or party, or wants to buy a legislator or governor a burger and a beer, I have absolutely no problem with that... it's the secrecy and the circumvention of lobbying laws that chaps this average ass. When ANYONE lobbies government, We have a right to know who did it, what was said, what legislation was on the table and if any money changed hands for any reason.

:dunno: What the hell is so wrong with transparency in politics? Are the voters not to be trusted?

It is NOT a quantum leap. It is EXACTLY the same. What you don't like is that its aim is antithetical to the "social justice" agenda of progressives! It's not like there are not liberal progressive lobby efforts idgit! The two should balance each other out just fine thank you very fucking much!

Two wrongs make a right? :eusa_think:

:eusa_hand: Pass!

Transparency in ALL things politics.

i found clevergirls statement to be really funny. Its like she only see's part of the picture and is ok with that. She doesn't want to look at the whole picture.

Its like declaring victory after one battle.

Well, this thread sure has taught me something. That is that there are some people who have no problem or no backbone in letting Big Money control our government to the point of writing their own legislation/laws. Of course this is a great example of plutocracy and the demise of the democratic process. Our Founding Fathers must be so proud of these wimps.

if anyone wants evidence of what this looks like, just look at frank/dodd

Forum List

Back