A deadly flu cometh!

JQPublic1

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2012
CNN said:
(CNN) -- The flu has been spreading fiercely across the United States, with more than half of states reporting widespread activity. The season has started earlier, and cases are more severe than last year, health officials say.

The latest Centers for Disease Control and Prevention flu advisory report, which covers the week of December 23 to 29, suggests that 41 states have widespread influenza activity, which was an increase of 31 states from the previous week. The CDC will issue an update on the flu situation Friday.

There have so far been 2,257 hospitalizations associated with laboratory-confirmed flu virus, the CDC report said. Among children, there have been 18 deaths reported during this season.

Have you got your flu shot? CDC recommends that you do.

CNN said:
The CDC recommends that people who have a higher risk of complications from the flu receive antiviral treatment. These include people with chronic illnesses such as pulmonary, cardiovascular and neurological conditions, as well as anyone 65 years and older and children under age 2.

A major consideration:

CNN said:
What many people don't know is that the flu vaccine becomes less effective as you get older or develop other medical problems, Zich said. The flu shot relies on the body's antibodies against the flu, so if the immune system is already compromised, it will not work as well.

For the elderly, hand washing and avoiding crowds, especially those composed of children and younger adults, might be wise. Ironically, though, that routine trip to the local clinic might need to be put off for a while. Exposure to the virus is far more likely to occur at a clinic or medical setting than if you stay at home. If you do need to get out and about I suggest wearing latex gloves when handling things. Also, avoid touching your face. When you venture beyond your home, a simple task such as blowing your nose will test the limits of your creativity to avoid one of the most deadly flu pandemics in a long time.

Flu picks up steam across the U.S. - CNN.com

Some good advice there except for getting the flu shot. While it may, and I repeat, may provide some protection to a rather small group of the population it would be better for most just to take vitamin D.

I had the flu twice in the 90's. The worst thing I ever had, so I have been getting an annual flu shot ever since, with no side effects and no flu, and in November 2012 had one for the upcoming season. :D

I haven't had a flu shot for about 25 years. What the CDC doesn't tell you is that THIS years flu shot is based off of LAST years flu "epidemic", so they're just guessing what the strain will be.

No thanks.

Some good advice there except for getting the flu shot. While it may, and I repeat, may provide some protection to a rather small group of the population it would be better for most just to take vitamin D.

More than 90% of the viruses detected so far this season are covered by the current flu shot, so your advice is not sound.

The news now says that 80% of the US population has the flu. Do you have the flu? Do you know anyone that has the flu? How can 80% of the population have the flu and it be so well hidden.

The flu is a killer. But it is a killer the same way obamacare is a killer. It takes the weak and the already sick.

I had the flu twice in the 90's. The worst thing I ever had, so I have been getting an annual flu shot ever since, with no side effects and no flu, and in November 2012 had one for the upcoming season. :D

I had one flu shot ten years ago and still got the flu. Haven't had a flu shot since and haven't come down with the flu. Vitamins and regular hand washing as well as using sanitary wipes at work and home during the flu season.

More than 90% of the viruses detected so far this season are covered by the current flu shot, so your advice is not sound.

Simple precautions at work and home are just as effective, most people don't use them.

Simple precautions at work and home are just as effective, most people don't use them.

That's super, but you should still get a flu shot.

That's super, but you should still get a flu shot.

Thanks "doc", I'll take it under advisement..........

No you won't. Probably because of some ridiculous conspiracy theory nonsense.

Keep poking in the dark Skippy. Even the CDC states the flu shot is most effective in persons 65 and older because that is where the vast majority of deaths derive from. I've been successfully using the old, standard precautions all my life so at this point I have no need for inoculation. When I reach 65 I'll consider vaccinations.

Over 90% of the viruses detected so far this season are covered by the current flu shot. EVERY physician and clinic recommends getting the shot. If you are not a conspiracy nut, then what exactly are you afraid of?

Over 90% of the viruses detected so far this season are covered by the current flu shot. EVERY physician and clinic recommends getting the shot. If you are not a conspiracy nut, then what exactly are you afraid of?

Ah, yes.... false dichotomy raises it's ugly head again........ Try thinking beyond the either/or for once in your life.

Come right out with it then. It can't hurt ya, it is very likely to help ya, it's not expensive. What is the reason for avoiding it?

Its simple Unkotare, I haven't had flu since 1976. I'm letting someone else use the shot instead of wasting one.

Come right out with it then. It can't hurt ya, it is very likely to help ya, it's not expensive. What is the reason for avoiding it?

I was kinda hoping you were smart enough to figure it out on your own, see past your own paradigm and explore the myriad of possibilities as to why some one would or would not do something.
Since that didn't work:
I was raised that one didn't go to a doctor unless one was very sick and one did not take medications or get inoculations unless there was no other option. (I traveled a lot as a kid and a young adult, I've had my share of inoculations.) Working in the medical field for twelve years I reconfirmed that upbringing. There are many people who require more medical interaction than most others, I've been blessed to be one of the others as are most people. Why pay for something that is 80% preventable using common, proven precautions unless you are in that grouping of people at serious risk?

Its simple Unkotare, I haven't had flu since 1976. I'm letting someone else use the shot instead of wasting one.

That doesn't make sense at all.

I have been around people with the flu, even taken care of them. I don't get it period. So why take a shot away form someone who would benefit?

There is no shortage of vaccine, so you are not taking a shot away from someone else. And you are NOT, no matter how firmly you may believe otherwise, immune from every possible strain of the influenza virus. You just aren't. No one will force you to get a flu shot, but your reasons are not reasoned.

Forum List

Back