A deadly flu cometh!

Come right out with it then. It can't hurt ya, it is very likely to help ya, it's not expensive. What is the reason for avoiding it?

I was kinda hoping you were smart enough to figure it out on your own, see past your own paradigm and explore the myriad of possibilities as to why some one would or would not do something.
Since that didn't work:
I was raised that one didn't go to a doctor unless one was very sick and one did not take medications or get inoculations unless there was no other option. (I traveled a lot as a kid and a young adult, I've had my share of inoculations.) Working in the medical field for twelve years I reconfirmed that upbringing. There are many people who require more medical interaction than most others, I've been blessed to be one of the others as are most people. Why pay for something that is 80% preventable using common, proven precautions unless you are in that grouping of people at serious risk?

None of which addresses the points raised: It can't hurt ya, it is very likely to help ya, it's not expensive.

You were raised not to go to the doctor unless very sick (JW?) but you avoid something simple that will make it much more likely that you do not get very sick? Does not compute.

That doesn't make sense at all.

I have been around people with the flu, even taken care of them. I don't get it period. So why take a shot away form someone who would benefit?

There is no shortage of vaccine, so you are not taking a shot away from someone else. And you are NOT, no matter how firmly you may believe otherwise, immune from every possible strain of the influenza virus. You just aren't. No one will force you to get a flu shot, but your reasons are not reasoned.

No flu in 37 years. As an important side note, one of the children who HAS died from this current flu lived four doors down on the other side of the street. Painfully sad. Makes it very real and personal.

Some good advice there except for getting the flu shot. While it may, and I repeat, may provide some protection to a rather small group of the population it would be better for most just to take vitamin D.

More than 90% of the viruses detected so far this season are covered by the current flu shot, so your advice is not sound.

Do you recognize the fault in that answer. If you were exposed to the flu last season, you already have the antibodies to that strain. If the flu shot, which is last year's flu, is 90% effective anginst this years flu, then your own antibodies are also 90% effective and you don't need the shot.

Never had one, never will.

Some good advice there except for getting the flu shot. While it may, and I repeat, may provide some protection to a rather small group of the population it would be better for most just to take vitamin D.

More than 90% of the viruses detected so far this season are covered by the current flu shot, so your advice is not sound.

Do you recognize the fault in that answer. If you were exposed to the flu last season, you already have the antibodies to that strain. If the flu shot, which is last year's flu, is 90% effective anginst this years flu, then your own antibodies are also 90% effective and you don't need the shot.

Never had one, never will.

You're free to be irrational, but that is what you're being.

I suspect there is really some squirrely conspiracy fear behind this very odd attitude, but I don't suppose you'll admit to it.

I suspect there is really some squirrely conspiracy fear behind this very odd attitude, but I don't suppose you'll admit to it.

Not for me. I'm more concerned the shot screws up my perfect record. Producing your own antibodies is a far better defense than a shot. if mine are excellent, which they apparently are, I'm not changing.

Come right out with it then. It can't hurt ya, it is very likely to help ya, it's not expensive. What is the reason for avoiding it?

I was kinda hoping you were smart enough to figure it out on your own, see past your own paradigm and explore the myriad of possibilities as to why some one would or would not do something.
Since that didn't work:
I was raised that one didn't go to a doctor unless one was very sick and one did not take medications or get inoculations unless there was no other option. (I traveled a lot as a kid and a young adult, I've had my share of inoculations.) Working in the medical field for twelve years I reconfirmed that upbringing. There are many people who require more medical interaction than most others, I've been blessed to be one of the others as are most people. Why pay for something that is 80% preventable using common, proven precautions unless you are in that grouping of people at serious risk?

None of which addresses the points raised: It can't hurt ya, it is very likely to help ya, it's not expensive.

You were raised not to go to the doctor unless very sick (JW?) but you avoid something simple that will make it much more likely that you do not get very sick? Does not compute.

Obviously anything that doesn't fit your paradigm doesn't compute. Ya can't fix mental ossification. I'll start chiseling your brain's epitaph.......

I take vitamin D.....
But i also get the flu shot. I'm almost 60 yrs old, i had never gotten a flu shot in my life until last year. That was the first year i ever went the whole winter without even a cold!! They say the flu shot has nothing to do with colds, but i know i never went a winter without 2 or 3 colds before! I was always afraid to get the shot because i heard people can get sick from it....all i can say is it works great for me!

I take vitamin D.....
But i also get the flu shot. I'm almost 60 yrs old, i had never gotten a flu shot in my life until last year. That was the first year i ever went the whole winter without even a cold!! They say the flu shot has nothing to do with colds, but i know i never went a winter without 2 or 3 colds before! I was always afraid to get the shot because i heard people can get sick from it....all i can say is it works great for me!
Good for you, it was a decision you made for yourself. :thup: All I was trying to say is most people don't need it if they take proper precautions. Unfortunately some seem to think I was specifically encouraging people not to get one as opposed to just stating I don't think most really need it.

Last edited:
Influenza has reached epidemic proportions in the United States, with 7.3 percent of deaths last week caused by pneumonia and the flu, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Friday.

That is above the epidemic threshold of 7.2 percent, CDC said. Nine of the 10 regions of the United States had "elevated" flu activity, confirming that seasonal flu has spread across the country and reached high levels several weeks before the usual time of late January or February. The other U.S. region, the Southwest and California, had "normal" flu activity last week.

The vaccine against the flu strains that were forecast to predominate this year is 62 percent effective, scientists reported on Friday in the CDC's weekly publication.

That is considered "moderate" effectiveness and means that almost four in 10 people who receive the vaccine and are exposed to the virus will nevertheless become infected.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com CDC: Flu Accounted for 7.3 Percent of US Deaths Last Week

Actually flu is best stopped by a lack of exposure and washing your hands. If you're sick, stay home.

I haven't had a flu shot for about 25 years. What the CDC doesn't tell you is that THIS years flu shot is based off of LAST years flu "epidemic", so they're just guessing what the strain will be.

No thanks.

Good luck. Hope you die. God bless.

The flu shot is recommended for people with weak or suppressed immune systems, such as children, seniors, people with HIV or who are undergoing medical therapies that suppress the immune system (like chemo).

Because of the small chance of allergic reactions, the flu shot is not recommended for everybody. People with egg allergies should not have the flu shot.

If your immune system is strong, and you almost never get sick, it is reasonable to decide not to get a flu shot.

If, however, like me, you used to get the flu or colds three or four times a year, you should definitely get the flu shot. And if, again like me, those illnesses developed into serious pneumonia at least once a year, you should also get the pneumonia vaccine.

In my experience, the flu shot ROCKS!

Since I began getting the yearly flu shot, I haven't had the flu once. There were a few times that I felt I'd been infected with a nasty virus -- you know how you can feel a growing viral load as an itchy-tickly feeling in your throat or sinuses? -- but within eight hours I'd feel fine again.

Not only have I not had the flu, but I also don't get normal colds anymore. Every cold I've had in the last three years has lasted at most eight hours -- that's right, just eight hours, not days! -- and although they're as miserable as they ever were, I'm just delighted that I don't have to live through an entire week of them.

So... If you don't get sick and you don't want the flu shot, fine. If you do get sick, I personally recommend the flu shot every year. It has worked terrifically well for me!

-- Paravani

Since that didn't work:

Obviously anything that doesn't fit your paradigm doesn't compute. Ya can't fix mental ossification. I'll start chiseling your brain's epitaph.......

Go ask an actual physician which of us is correct.

I take vitamin D.....
Good for you, it was a decision you made for yourself. :thup: All I was trying to say is most people don't need it if they take proper precautions. Unfortunately some seem to think I was specifically encouraging people not to get one as opposed to just stating I don't think most really need it.

What medical school did you graduate from?

The flu shot is recommended for people with weak or suppressed immune systems, such as children, seniors, people with HIV or who are undergoing medical therapies that suppress the immune system (like chemo).

Because of the small chance of allergic reactions, the flu shot is not recommended for everybody. People with egg allergies should not have the flu shot.

If your immune system is strong, and you almost never get sick, it is reasonable to decide not to get a flu shot.

If, however, like me, you used to get the flu or colds three or four times a year, you should definitely get the flu shot. And if, again like me, those illnesses developed into serious pneumonia at least once a year, you should also get the pneumonia vaccine.

In my experience, the flu shot ROCKS!

Since I began getting the yearly flu shot, I haven't had the flu once. There were a few times that I felt I'd been infected with a nasty virus -- you know how you can feel a growing viral load as an itchy-tickly feeling in your throat or sinuses? -- but within eight hours I'd feel fine again.

Not only have I not had the flu, but I also don't get normal colds anymore. Every cold I've had in the last three years has lasted at most eight hours -- that's right, just eight hours, not days! -- and although they're as miserable as they ever were, I'm just delighted that I don't have to live through an entire week of them.

So... If you don't get sick and you don't want the flu shot, fine. If you do get sick, I personally recommend the flu shot every year. It has worked terrifically well for me!

-- Paravani

I agree and although I get a flu shot and am healthy I am in my son's school everyday. The runny noses and coughing has been unusual this year. I don't think I have gotten "the flu", but, have been feeling crappy at times. Hydration, rest, eating well and keeping annoying people away proves to be the best way to deal such exposure to a fertile ground for a flu.

Forum List

Back