Do You Want To Go To Mars? - Seeking Volunteers!

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Would you volunteer to go to Mars for an expedition in 2022?

I'm iffy. I would love the adventure - but the claustrophobia of limited quarters would get VV Tiresome, methinks.

What about you?

Mars One, a nonprofit organization based in the Netherlands, intends to establish a human settlement on Mars in 2023.

They need astronauts.

Anyone on planet Earth can apply if they meet the basic requirements. But obviously, the job isn’t for just anyone.

Today, Mars One released its application criteria. Among other virtues, astronaut candidates must have “a deep sense of purpose, willingness to build and maintain healthy relationships, the capacity for self-reflection and ability to trust. They must be resilient, adaptable, curious, creative and resourceful.” And be at least 18 years old (no maximum age has been set).

The selection process will begin during the first half of 2013. Mars One experts and viewers of a “global, televised program” — think reality TV where the prize could be a trip to a dry, dusty world — will choose from among the applications. Those ultimately selected will be assembled into teams of four. At least six teams are supposed to be ready to launch in September 2022. But only one team will make the first trip to the Red Planet, and that team will be decided democratically.

“The people of Earth will have a vote which group of four will be the first Earth ambassadors on Mars,” the Mars One website says. Subsequent teams will be sent in two-year intervals....

Help Wanted: Astronauts Needed for Mars Colony | Wired Science | Wired.com

Not even if they offered to throw in a billion dollars for the gig. Can't get that 'point of no return scene' from Mission to Mars out of my head. :eek:

Even if something goes wrong, your name will be etched in documented history, for as long as it's kept. Who knows? Maybe you make it back...you'd be a celebrity.

I'm gonna sleep on it.

No. I have absolutely no desire to go to Mars BUT there are several people I would like to send if I knew they would never return.

It is getting more and more dangerous to be blasted into space because there is a very good chance of colliding with some space junk from previous missions.

Forum List

Back