772-Pound Ohio Woman

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Agency Struggles To Accommodate 772-Pound Ohio Woman
Tenant Sues Over Delays
CLEVELAND -- Cleveland's public housing agency is trying to resolve a lengthy dispute by accommodating the needs of a 772-pound tenant immobilized by her weight.

Carmen Bowen, 44, has been involved in a two-year dispute with the Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority over how much work must be done to help her move around her apartment.

The agency is about to provide her with a handicapped-accessible apartment with extra space to allow an oversized wheelchair to turn. Bowen lives with her 19-year-old son and a caregiver.

Still, Bowen filed a discrimination complaint, saying the agency took too long. Housing officials responded that the agency went well beyond what federal disability law requires at a cost of about $15,000.

"Her special condition requires special equipment," acting Executive Director George Phillips said last week.

The modifications include removing doors and walls, installing an automatic door operator and panic device, demolishing the existing bathroom and installing a special shower, and putting in a sidewalk to the front door. Bowen could move in next month.

In her current apartment, Bowen can't move from a medical bed in the middle of her living room.

In August, 22 firefighters and emergency medical technicians worked for 2.5 hours to move Bowen from her apartment so she could have dental work. Emergency crews had to help her back when she returned. The authority widened the door in October.

Bowen does not yet have the wheelchair. The Medicaid government insurance program has not yet said whether it will pay for it. link

A discrimination complaint ? WTF, it took 22 firefighter 2.5 hours to move this woman at taxpayer expense and she wants to file a complaint because they haven't modified her house(also at taxpayers expense).

I'd certainly like to know what it is that caused this womans condition. Was it pure gluttony or is there a medical condition involved?

Good question DK. It wouldn't be out of the question that some medical condition may be a factor. However to reach 772 pounds must take years with alot of eating regardless of a medical condition.

I actually saw a report on this on the news, the lady does not work, she is totally dependent on the government for all of her needs.

even WITH a medical condition I can't fathom 772 pounds. My aunt had a medical condition (thyroid) that inflated her to 350 pounds.

this woman has to be mostly responsible for her ensuing weight. Thats ludicrous to be upset about anything on her part.

Great, I'm glad my tax dollars are going to worthy causes. :rolleyes:

This is just a lack of self control. She needs to have her stomach stapled so she can't eat so much.

And I agree with Eric, thank you for not posting a photo!

Good thing this came from Mtn and not Jannen, she would have been sure to post the photo for our viewing pleasure ! :D

Originally posted by jimnyc
Great, I'm glad my tax dollars are going to worthy causes. :rolleyes:

This is just a lack of self control. She needs to have her stomach stapled so she can't eat so much.

And I agree with Eric, thank you for not posting a photo!

Exactly!! I don't know why medically or over compulsive people don't do that.

I'm all for special needs to a point... where that point is? Well i suppose i really don't know, but this certainly has crossed it.

Exactly!! I don't know why medically or over compulsive people don't do that.

compulsive eaters have no excuse, but medically overweight people would receive no benefits from a stapled stomach because it has nothing to do with how much they eat, but rather how their body metabolizes what they eat.

Just curious, anyone know of a case of a person with a stapled stomach, (a very serious operation), who didn't lose weight? I mean a lot of weight?

I've never heard of any case of stomach stapling that didn't lead to weight loss. It literally limits the amount of food the body can take in. Unless the person already has a serious medical condition as dksuddeth pointed out, they will lose weight.

If people want to eat until they explode, I'm not gonna stand in their way. When I have to pay the rest of their way through life because they can no longer function, then I have a problem. I have some sympathy, but 772lbs? When the hell did she realize she had a problem? I've heard nasty stories of medical personnel finding food, tv remotes, bugs & other lovely things that were missing wrapped up in their blubbery folds. :puke:

Originally posted by jimnyc
I've heard nasty stories of medical personnel finding food, tv remotes, bugs & other lovely things that were missing wrapped up in their blubbery folds. :puke:
Holy doodle, that's gross. Thanks for the mental image.

Yowsa, that's one big woman!!! sorry I couldn't find it and put the picture with it! heheheheeh! you guys sure do know me! :)

A girl that worked at the hospital that my Daughter was born in had her stomach stapled, I couldn't believe after a few months the change in her. She wasn't really even too heavy to begin with, but it sure dropped her weight. Yes, it can be dangerous for some, those that can't have control, can wind up dying from it. I can understand some medical conditions that would cause a person a gain weight, but I don't believe that for all - Look at the guy that was on Jerry Springer, he said he enjoyed eating, and couldn't stop, I think he was over 600 lbs. Gross!!!!!

If they are going to spend all that money to fix her house up, why not instead spend that money getting her a liposuction and a smotach stapling? I'm sure that would have reduced their budget in half, at least - not to mention all the money in food stamps she'd save!

not only did the tax payers[us] pay for the improvements to her apartment, we most assuredly PAID for all of her food too. does anybody know Richard Simmons phone #? and thank you for NOT posting her pic janeeng

Well I did see a report on the news about this story, yes the taxpayer does pay for her food, and everything else she depends on. She does not work, heck she can barley move. However from the article and the tv report we still know very little about her or her situation. Common sense would tell you that she had been in this situation for a long time, you just don't gain weight to the amount of 772 pounds in a matter of weeks or months. So at some point in time in years past she was in the postition to not provide for herself, becoming dependent of others, perhaps family or charity. But now must (for how long I am not sure) depends on the government for her needs. Her quality of life surely is quite low and that is very sad.
A possilbe question would be, before she became dependent on others, how would she be doing if that assistance was limited? Would she be forced to maintian a certain mobility to function in society?(really no different for the rest of us) Would her quality of life be better? Or perhaps in worse condition? Tough questions for sure.

I know I'm going to be accused of being heartless but really, it's stories like this that make all conservatives want to eliminate benefits. If her son is 19 years old, why the heck isn't he working his a___ off so that his mother gets what she wants (notice I said wants, not needs)?

Perhaps if this woman didn't have the "freedom" to sycophant off others' backs she wouldn't be in the position she's in.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness has become Life, liberty and the attainment of anything anyone could ever want, need or desire no matter the cost to society as a whole.

Sorry, I don't buy that it's the government (a.k.a. citizens) responsibility to indulge everyone's lack of self achievement.

Forum List

Back