772-Pound Ohio Woman

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MtnBiker, Nov 26, 2003.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Agency Struggles To Accommodate 772-Pound Ohio Woman
    Tenant Sues Over Delays
    CLEVELAND -- Cleveland's public housing agency is trying to resolve a lengthy dispute by accommodating the needs of a 772-pound tenant immobilized by her weight.

Carmen Bowen, 44, has been involved in a two-year dispute with the Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority over how much work must be done to help her move around her apartment.

The agency is about to provide her with a handicapped-accessible apartment with extra space to allow an oversized wheelchair to turn. Bowen lives with her 19-year-old son and a caregiver.

Still, Bowen filed a discrimination complaint, saying the agency took too long. Housing officials responded that the agency went well beyond what federal disability law requires at a cost of about $15,000.

"Her special condition requires special equipment," acting Executive Director George Phillips said last week.

The modifications include removing doors and walls, installing an automatic door operator and panic device, demolishing the existing bathroom and installing a special shower, and putting in a sidewalk to the front door. Bowen could move in next month.

In her current apartment, Bowen can't move from a medical bed in the middle of her living room.

In August, 22 firefighters and emergency medical technicians worked for 2.5 hours to move Bowen from her apartment so she could have dental work. Emergency crews had to help her back when she returned. The authority widened the door in October.

Bowen does not yet have the wheelchair. The Medicaid government insurance program has not yet said whether it will pay for it. link

A discrimination complaint ? WTF, it took 22 firefighter 2.5 hours to move this woman at taxpayer expense and she wants to file a complaint because they haven't modified her house(also at taxpayers expense).

2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'd certainly like to know what it is that caused this womans condition. Was it pure gluttony or is there a medical condition involved?

3. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Good question DK. It wouldn't be out of the question that some medical condition may be a factor. However to reach 772 pounds must take years with alot of eating regardless of a medical condition.

I actually saw a report on this on the news, the lady does not work, she is totally dependent on the government for all of her needs.

4. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Mtn,

All I can say is thanks for NOT posting a photo.:p:

5. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    even WITH a medical condition I can't fathom 772 pounds. My aunt had a medical condition (thyroid) that inflated her to 350 pounds.

this woman has to be mostly responsible for her ensuing weight. Thats ludicrous to be upset about anything on her part.

6. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Great, I'm glad my tax dollars are going to worthy causes. :rolleyes:

This is just a lack of self control. She needs to have her stomach stapled so she can't eat so much.

And I agree with Eric, thank you for not posting a photo!

7. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Good thing this came from Mtn and not Jannen, she would have been sure to post the photo for our viewing pleasure ! :D

8. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I'm not so sure Janeen hasn't already posted a picture.:eek:

9. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Exactly!! I don't know why medically or over compulsive people don't do that.

I'm all for special needs to a point... where that point is? Well i suppose i really don't know, but this certainly has crossed it.

10. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    compulsive eaters have no excuse, but medically overweight people would receive no benefits from a stapled stomach because it has nothing to do with how much they eat, but rather how their body metabolizes what they eat.