772-Pound Ohio Woman

I have to agree with you on SOME things in your post, however not all are as you stated. I for example have not been able to work for over a year and a half. my right hip was replaced almost 6 years ago and after returning to work for 4 years it is hurting baddly. my left hip is holding up some what but now I have a 'mass 4 to 5 cm' in the top of my femur. This has made me go to ER for pain relief as it takes an act of G-D to get on Tenn care. chronic migrines that no meds have helped yet that came from motorcycle wreck, ashma and empazema or however you spell it, these among other ailments and I am living with my Bro or it would be the streets for me. I should be bitter at the world but Im not, nor is It G.W's fault that Im in this mess. what does bother me is people that DONT need to be on SS or SSI but think its their g-dgiven right well I am not able to work but because of people such as this carny fat ladie about the only way to get help any more is either lie or be dieing from cancer. I wont do the first and hope I dont have the second. These and other public programs ARE needed! I feel the sceening process should be changed but that Im sure will be the start of another thread. have a great day folks!:)

Originally posted by jon_forward
I have to agree with you on SOME things in your post, however not all are as you stated. I for example have not been able to work for over a year and a half. my right hip was replaced almost 6 years ago and after returning to work for 4 years it is hurting baddly. my left hip is holding up some what but now I have a 'mass 4 to 5 cm' in the top of my femur. This has made me go to ER for pain relief as it takes an act of G-D to get on Tenn care. chronic migrines that no meds have helped yet that came from motorcycle wreck, ashma and empazema or however you spell it, these among other ailments and I am living with my Bro or it would be the streets for me. I should be bitter at the world but Im not, nor is It G.W's fault that Im in this mess. what does bother me is people that DONT need to be on SS or SSI but think its their g-dgiven right well I am not able to work but because of people such as this carny fat ladie about the only way to get help any more is either lie or be dieing from cancer. I wont do the first and hope I dont have the second. These and other public programs ARE needed! I feel the sceening process should be changed but that Im sure will be the start of another thread. have a great day folks!:)

I sympathize with your circumstances. Your situation appears to be much different than hers and it seems you are willing to follow the guidelines and rely on family as well. I agree that you should not be prejudiced or penalized for your honesty.

One thing does trouble me in your post as it appears that many people feel the same: your belief that you "should be bitter at the world". I applaud you for not being bitter, but as a tiny part of the world, I did nothing to cause other people injuries nor have I made their situations worse, why should the government (and, thus, its citizens) be forced to provide everything ever wanted for someone. There's a huge difference between creating a level playing field for everyone to have an equal chance to succeed and a government actually guaranteeing their success regardless of their contribution.

The situation in the prior story clearly illustrates a sense of entitlement that is intolerable. Unfortunately, with the government making foolish laws, judges and juries awarding in case after case, those of us who are conservatives are leaning toward disbanding the existing system in favor of more controlled efforts.

Help should be given only as a last resort to people who would use the help as just that- assistance to wards self performance- and not channeling it to wards those unconcerned with giving back to society. Families should be required to exhaust other means before relying on the government (including assistance from other family members).

There are many ways to take the dollars given to social programs and turn them into useful dollars. If people are hungry, sponsor a place where people can go to eat nutritious meals. Do not give them money that could be spent on donuts and soda or peddled away for drugs or whatever. If people need housing, have them WORK for it, not just get hand outs. There are plenty of streets, schools, public housing areas, hospitals, etc. that could benefit from repairs, painting, cleaning, etc. How about requiring someone to contribute to child care or elderly care, provide transportation, etc. for their fellow recipients as a cost of receiving public assistance?

No much will change until there are real penalties for those who abuse the system I just think we should stop spending good money after bad.

jon, i personally have no problem with my tax dollars being used to help someone that has proven medically that they can't work or will be ulnable to work indefinitely because of a medical condition, or mental illness. as heartless as it may sound, this woman , as part of her aid package, should be required to do whatever it takes,be it receive help for a medical condition that is making her this big, or if this is self inflicted, to go on a severely calorie reduced diet or get her stomach stapled, so she can eventually return to society and make herself useful. again, i dont mind giving a person or family a hand that needs one, what i have a problem with is people who think handouts are their god given right and that it is society that should support them and not the other way around. going back to this woman, yes, if we are going to give her aid, we might as well pay for the operation or medical treatment that is necessary. it would be cheaper in the long run to turn her back into a productive citizen. look at it this way she has to receive several thousands of dollars a yr in aid, if she lives another twenty or thirty yrs, that will add up to over a quarter million dollars in aid, wheras the operation would have to be a whole hell of a lot cheaper.

Forum List

Back