772-Pound Ohio Woman

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MtnBiker, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,789
    Just curious, anyone know of a case of a person with a stapled stomach, (a very serious operation), who didn't lose weight? I mean a lot of weight?

2. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +248
    I've never heard of any case of stomach stapling that didn't lead to weight loss. It literally limits the amount of food the body can take in. Unless the person already has a serious medical condition as dksuddeth pointed out, they will lose weight.

If people want to eat until they explode, I'm not gonna stand in their way. When I have to pay the rest of their way through life because they can no longer function, then I have a problem. I have some sympathy, but 772lbs? When the hell did she realize she had a problem? I've heard nasty stories of medical personnel finding food, tv remotes, bugs & other lovely things that were missing wrapped up in their blubbery folds. :puke:

3. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

4. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Holy doodle, that's gross. Thanks for the mental image.

5. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yowsa, that's one big woman!!! sorry I couldn't find it and put the picture with it! heheheheeh! you guys sure do know me! :)

A girl that worked at the hospital that my Daughter was born in had her stomach stapled, I couldn't believe after a few months the change in her. She wasn't really even too heavy to begin with, but it sure dropped her weight. Yes, it can be dangerous for some, those that can't have control, can wind up dying from it. I can understand some medical conditions that would cause a person a gain weight, but I don't believe that for all - Look at the guy that was on Jerry Springer, he said he enjoyed eating, and couldn't stop, I think he was over 600 lbs. Gross!!!!!

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +545
    If they are going to spend all that money to fix her house up, why not instead spend that money getting her a liposuction and a smotach stapling? I'm sure that would have reduced their budget in half, at least - not to mention all the money in food stamps she'd save!

7. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    not only did the tax payers[us] pay for the improvements to her apartment, we most assuredly PAID for all of her food too. does anybody know Richard Simmons phone #? and thank you for NOT posting her pic janeeng

8. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Well I did see a report on the news about this story, yes the taxpayer does pay for her food, and everything else she depends on. She does not work, heck she can barley move. However from the article and the tv report we still know very little about her or her situation. Common sense would tell you that she had been in this situation for a long time, you just don't gain weight to the amount of 772 pounds in a matter of weeks or months. So at some point in time in years past she was in the postition to not provide for herself, becoming dependent of others, perhaps family or charity. But now must (for how long I am not sure) depends on the government for her needs. Her quality of life surely is quite low and that is very sad.
    A possilbe question would be, before she became dependent on others, how would she be doing if that assistance was limited? Would she be forced to maintian a certain mobility to function in society?(really no different for the rest of us) Would her quality of life be better? Or perhaps in worse condition? Tough questions for sure.

9. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    besides the weight thing, what kind of mental condition can she be in?

10. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I know I'm going to be accused of being heartless but really, it's stories like this that make all conservatives want to eliminate benefits. If her son is 19 years old, why the heck isn't he working his a___ off so that his mother gets what she wants (notice I said wants, not needs)?

Perhaps if this woman didn't have the "freedom" to sycophant off others' backs she wouldn't be in the position she's in.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness has become Life, liberty and the attainment of anything anyone could ever want, need or desire no matter the cost to society as a whole.

Sorry, I don't buy that it's the government (a.k.a. citizens) responsibility to indulge everyone's lack of self achievement.