5 things to know about catnip

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
See...I would have never even thought about using catnip in tea to cure insomnia or headaches. The things you learn on the internet. :tongue:

5 things to know about catnip

Everyone has a weakness. For me, it's salted caramel ice cream. For my dog, Lulu, it's expensive shoes. For most cats, it's catnip.

Here are five things every cat lover should know about this mysterious product that drives cats batty.

Snip...

5. People like catnip, too.

Catnip also can be used for tea. The presence of a chemical called nepetalactone produces sedative-like affects in humans, making catnip a popular home remedy for headaches as well as insomnia.

To make catnip tea, add one teaspoon of dried catnip leaves or three to four teaspoons of fresh catnip leaves to a mug of boiling water and let it steep.

5 things to know about catnip - CNN.com

• Banned
Okay Lumpy...just for you. I went to the garden store and bought catnip seeds so I can try this out. Apparently it is very easy to grow,because it does well in any kind of soil it is planted in. So...my summer project is to see how well this stuff works for stomach cramps and headaches.

After talking to a guy that worked there,I also learned that the tea is easy to brew and it has a flavor similar to lemon and mint (incase you were wondering). :)

Last edited:
Our cat loves it when we have some catnip tea, we do too!

• Banned
Apparently it has been used for hundreds of years as a home remedy for just about everything. I learned today that they once used it to treat scarlet fever, smallpox and to open up obstructions of the lungs and womb...bad for pregnant women though (apparently it's also a natural remedy once used in 1700 Ireland to expell still born babies).

Interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Our cat loves it when we have some catnip tea, we do too!

Does it cure headaches,insomnia,toothaches and stomach cramps?

Cramps for sure, teeth I have no idea, I've never suffered from insomnia so can't answer that either. And I think catnip has been used for thousands of years. I know for sure it was used by the Romans.

• Banned
Yeah...thousands of years is probably more accurate. It was used in China and Europe for at least 2000 years (I read that in another article). I'm just glad I have found someone who has used it,and likes it. I get pretty bad headaches,and sometimes Excedrin,Aspirin etc...makes my stomach ache. I will try this and maybe it will cure the pain without giving me stomach cramps too. Worth a shot anyway.

I also know they sell catnip in capsule form at the healthfood store. For folks who don't like the tea...that could be an option.

Last edited:
Uncle Ferd used to smoke dat catnip...

... he'd purr an' meow...

... an' Granny would give him a lil' mouse toy to play with.
:lol:

Forum List

Back