5 things teens can do to engage in politics before turning 18

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015

As young people, we can choose to sit on the sidelines or we can join together and fight for a future that works for us. Whether the most important issue to you is building a fair economy, fighting for racial justice and women’s rights, combatting climate change, or preventing gun violence, you have a role to play in creating the change you want to see in the world.

Here are five ways YOU can get involved, even before your eighteenth birthday:

1.Get involved in a club or organization at your school or in your community: Whether you’re running for a leadership position in student government, joining your school’s Gay-Straight Alliance, or getting involved with the local 4-H club, there are plenty of opportunities to engage in your school or community and fight for what you believe in.

2.Pre-register to vote (if your state allows it): Pre-registering guarantees that you will automatically be able to cast a ballot as soon as you turn eighteen. Check to see if your state allows pre-registration at rockthevote.com, and take a couple minutes to fill out the form. If your state doesn’t allow pre-registration yet, email your state legislator and urge them to empower teens to get registered early.

3.Figure out what issues you care about and learn who the key decision-makers are: Your history and social studies or civics classes in school are great places to start. Learn how local government functions and who decides the policies that impact your life or your community. For example, do you want to fight climate change? Go to usa.gov/local-governments and call or email your mayor or city council member. Let them know that you support stronger environmental policies and urge them to take action. If criminal justice reform is important to you, tell your local sheriff or district attorney to take action.

4.Help others get civically engaged: Even if you aren’t old enough to vote yet, chances are that you have friends, neighbors, or family members who are. Using toolkits and resources or our volunteer sign-up form on rockthevote.com, you can help others get engaged by helping them register to vote and reminding them when there’s an election. Offer to help educate them about the candidates on the ballot or the issues that are important to you. In some states, you can even volunteer as a poll worker on Election Day.

5.Volunteer for a campaign: Whether it’s for a candidate who inspires you, a ballot initiative that you support, or even a new education bond to support your school, you don’t have to be eighteen to volunteer for a campaign. Visit the campaign’s website to sign up, and be a part of electing a new leader who will fight for the issues important to you—or getting your community to vote for a new law or policy

The first election I voted in when I was a youngster was Reagan's victory against Mr. Peanut.

I was 24 at the time, and what got me interested was the fact I had a $50 wager with a friend of mine at the local bar room. Very exciting watching the results on TV in the joint that evening.

Forum List

Back