my 20 year old son is a real movie afficianado...he saw 300 this past weekend and says it is easily in his top ten all time list.

we are getting ready to leave for my ancestral home in a few hours to go bury my 94 year old father who died last friday, but I will see this movie sometime soon after our return.

My condolences. It seems you had a tumultuous relationship with your dad, I hope you both received some comfort by the end.

Interesting article about this movie from Victor Davis Hanson.

'300' -- Fact or Fiction?
By Victor Davis Hanson
March 22, 2007

Crowds are flocking to see the film "300" about the ancient Spartans' last stand at the pass at Thermopylae against an invading Persian army. Yet many critics, in panning "300," have alleged that the film is essentially historically inaccurate. Are they right?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/03/300_fact_or_fiction.html

Apparently, this is the boy movie of all boy movies, and the best thing to come out within the last 10 years, according to every guy I know that's flocked to see it weekend after weekend..

Funny.. None of them could get their spouses, or SO's to go with them to save their lives...

I've never heard of a movie theatre not containing a single woman, but I guess this was the case last night. :D

I'll step in to say that I really thoroughly enjoyed "300." I watched it consciously making the decision to avoid any and all political comparisions to modern day until the car ride home...and it really works any way you see it - as a modern, graphic-novel-esque depiction of a famous battle, as a commentary on modern events, as a commentary on war, culture, religion, etc.

All in all, its just a damn enjoyable flick...and more and more I'm finding that harder to come by so I relish it when I find it.

Apparently, this is the boy movie of all boy movies, and the best thing to come out within the last 10 years, according to every guy I know that's flocked to see it weekend after weekend..

Funny.. None of them could get their spouses, or SO's to go with them to save their lives...

I've never heard of a movie theatre not containing a single woman, but I guess this was the case last night. :D

"boy" movie????? I'm no "boy"; you'll have to find another term!

Seen it twice already, the acting is crap and the Sean Connery soundalike King is crap, but boy oh boy what a fucking movie, I loved every second of it.

I liked it so much I have downloaded the workprint DVD as well as the DVDRIP and KVCD versions, am I a thief?

I'll step in to say that I really thoroughly enjoyed "300." I watched it consciously making the decision to avoid any and all political comparisions to modern day until the car ride home...and it really works any way you see it - as a modern, graphic-novel-esque depiction of a famous battle, as a commentary on modern events, as a commentary on war, culture, religion, etc.

All in all, its just a damn enjoyable flick...and more and more I'm finding that harder to come by so I relish it when I find it.

See 'Pans Labyrinth'.:thup:

I watched '300 Spartans' (1962) starring Richard Egan, this afternoon, what I would give to get that time back.:rolleyes:

I wanted to see Pan's Labyrinth...now that I know its worth it I will definitely make time for it! Thanks!

I wanted to see Pan's Labyrinth...now that I know its worth it I will definitely make time for it! Thanks!

it is really magical.... a fairy tale within a brutal tale from the spanish civil war.... my wife and I were spellbound by it!

it is really magical.... a fairy tale within a brutal tale from the spanish civil war.... my wife and I were spellbound by it!

The best foreign language film I have ever seen, the music is beautiful the script and acting are as magical as the premise of the movie, fantastic from beginning to end, you forget you are reading subs, honestly.

The message you get from the movie is yours and unique to you.

The best foreign language film I have ever seen, the music is beautiful the script and acting are as magical as the premise of the movie, fantastic from beginning to end, you forget you are reading subs, honestly.

The message you get from the movie is yours and unique to you.

that is absolutely correct! It swept me away....

Sorry...but there's no equivalent to "chick flick"..unless you know of one that I don't?

My wife always called 'em "dick flicks"....

but ever since Brokeback Mountain came out I've been lobbying for a new term to avoid ambiguity.

My wife always called 'em "dick flicks"....

but ever since Brokeback Mountain came out I've been lobbying for a new term to avoid ambiguity.

Your wife may be on to something... Although that's not a word I frequently use, unless it's in anger, and directed toward a specific individual...

I saw this movie last night, no doubt one of the best movies I've seen in a long, long time. My favorite scene was the one when the Spartans were on the cliff overlooking the sea when it was raining really hard (trying not to give away too much of the movie). Namely, I liked the integration of heavy metal music (which I normally hate) into some of the scenes, really got the adrenaline pumping. I might just watch this movie before football games to give me the extra "warrior spirit."

Forum List

Back