2.2% drop in unemployment enrages Republicans.

Why is this obvious baiting thread posted in the CDZ? Never mind, I know the answer.

When millions upon millions of people drop out of the labor force and not actively seeking employment, they are no longer counted in unemployment statistics. Thus the unemployment rate goes down. Who are you trying to fool, Comrade? Only your fellow comrades?

Funny how no one on the Right bitched when 10 million dropped out of the workforce under the Bush Regime lowering HIS unemployment rate! In fact they constantly rave about how great the economy was with 10 million dropping out of the labor force under Bush. Counting those 10 million drop outs as unemployed Bush's "REAL" U-6 unemployment was ~25% when he left

Last edited:
Taking into account that Bush Jr left office January 20, 2009 & that the Obama Administration’s cabinet was finalized & approved by Congress in February 2009 at which time the unemployment rate was 8.3%.

By my calc with today’s July 2014 news of 6.1% unemployment rate means a drop of 2.2% in unemployment & dropping fast.

My Reference on the February 2009 unemployment rate: Graph: Unemployment rate (seasonally adjusted)
My Reference on the present 6.1% & dropping fast unemployment rate that upsets Republicans: ? Fox Business Host Actually Whines On Twitter About Low Unemployment Rate, Thinks It?s Bad For Economy

Best Regards
Lobato1
I think fearful is a better word that describes Republicans. If unemployment get's in the 5% range, they lose their biggest weapon against the Democrats. Going from 10% to nearly 5% unemployment is going to be hard to fight.

Telling that they simply can't be glad that Americans are getting back to work.

They will continue to push these lies, so they can claim just like Obama killed Bin Laden

he's a hero who brought unemployment down..no matter most of the jobs are part-time, less than 40 hrs a week, and MILLIONS have dropped out looking for work

this is the mediocrity we all need to get used to

When millions upon millions of people drop out of the labor force and not actively seeking employment, they are no longer counted in unemployment statistics. Thus the unemployment rate goes down. Who are you trying to fool, Comrade? Only your fellow comrades?

Why would you want to count someone not trying to work...especially those who don't want to work, as unemployed? And since they've never been counted, it's dishonest to try to put them back in and claim it's the "real unemployment rate" when all comparisons you make would be using the standard definition of unemployed.

The unemployment numbers have always been mis-leading.

Take the number of people in the workforce, and the number of people currently drawing unemployment, but leave out people whose unemployment benefits have run out, and those who have not been employed long enough to file for unemployment benefits and lets get us a number here..

Eligibility or receipt of unemployment benefits have never ever been part of the definition or calculations.

If someone wants a job, could accept a job if offered, and is looking for work, then that person is classified as unemployed. Doesn't matter if they were fired, quit, never had a job, etc.

If someone is not working and not trying to work, they're Not in the Labor Force....retirees, disabled, full time students, stay home spouses, potheads living in mom's basement, and people who just haven't started looking or had to stop looking for personal reasons etc.

Never mind, I found one

-Geaux

Scott Brown: Unemployment benefits are ‘welfare’ that should be phased out slowly

Former Massachusetts Sen. Scott (R) said on Sunday that he supported slowing phasing out long-term unemployment benefits because people needed “welfare” and the program should not be halted abruptly.

During a panel segment on Fox News, Senior Political Analyst Brit Hume opined that he had a “sense” that people who were receiving long-term unemployment benefits “had them for a long time” and the program was supposed to be a “temporary measure.”

Hume admitted that Democrats might see some political benefit if Republicans were portrayed as “hard-hearted” for refusing to renew benefits for the long-term unemployed earlier this month.

now they are wanting to punch you

SNIP:

Thomas Perez On Lawmakers Who Dis The Jobless: 'I Wanna Punch 'Em'

Posted: 07/08/2014 2:15 pm EDT Updated: 07/08/2014 2:59 pm EDT
Print Article
THOMAS PEREZ

WASHINGTON -- When members of Congress suggest unemployed Americans aren't trying hard enough to get jobs, U.S. Labor Secretary Thomas Perez gets mad.

"When I hear people on Capitol Hill say the long-term unemployed are unemployed by choice, I wanna punch 'em," Perez said Tuesday during a meeting with reporters.

Perez paused and smiled. The reporters laughed. Perez said he felt strongly about the hardship of unemployment because as a youngster in Buffalo, New York, he'd witnessed his surrogate father struggle after a layoff -- and because of his conversations with unemployed people today.

"The thing they say that angers them as much as anything is when politicians suggest they're unemployed by choice, they're just sitting at home eating bonbons," Perez said. (He didn't cite a specific example of a politician alleging bonbon consumption by unemployed people.)

Perez has previously waded into the Capitol Hill policy debate on joblessness, repeatedly calling on Congress to revive extended unemployment insurance for the long-term jobless after lawmakers let the benefits expire last December. Republicans have tended to argue unemployment insurance doesn't do enough to create jobs, not that it actually stops people from taking them.

ALL of the violent little man
from some of your favorite place for hate

Never mind, I found one

-Geaux

Scott Brown: Unemployment benefits are ‘welfare’ that should be phased out slowly

Former Massachusetts Sen. Scott (R) said on Sunday that he supported slowing phasing out long-term unemployment benefits because people needed “welfare” and the program should not be halted abruptly.

During a panel segment on Fox News, Senior Political Analyst Brit Hume opined that he had a “sense” that people who were receiving long-term unemployment benefits “had them for a long time” and the program was supposed to be a “temporary measure.”

Hume admitted that Democrats might see some political benefit if Republicans were portrayed as “hard-hearted” for refusing to renew benefits for the long-term unemployed earlier this month.
Even if you call unemployment insurance benefits "welfare," most unemployed do not receive unemployment insurance benefits.
The June reference week for the Current Population Survey was June 8-14. The number of non seasonally adjusted unemployed was 9,893,000 Employment Situation Table A-1.

Turning to Dept of Labor, there were 2,469,219 people receiving benefits (number subject to revision tomorrow) PERSONS CLAIMING UI BENEFITS IN ALL PROGRAMS (UNADJUSTED)

So 2,469,219/9,893,000 = 25% of unemployed receiving benefits from any program. (2,387,182 were from state programs)

I have not see anybody "enraged" by unemployment dropping--just for some it is not dropping fast enough. There are areas that have seen great recovery and areas that have not. In a nation as large as the US is geographically, the pooling effect of statistics hides that some areas fair much better than others. One's views on this, like most things, depends on what they see in their everyday lives when they walk down the street.

now they are wanting to punch you

SNIP:

Posted: 07/08/2014 2:15 pm EDT Updated: 07/08/2014 2:59 pm EDT
Print Article
THOMAS PEREZ

WASHINGTON -- When members of Congress suggest unemployed Americans aren't trying hard enough to get jobs, U.S. Labor Secretary Thomas Perez gets mad.

"When I hear people on Capitol Hill say the long-term unemployed are unemployed by choice, I wanna punch 'em," Perez said Tuesday during a meeting with reporters.

Perez paused and smiled. The reporters laughed. Perez said he felt strongly about the hardship of unemployment because as a youngster in Buffalo, New York, he'd witnessed his surrogate father struggle after a layoff -- and because of his conversations with unemployed people today.

"The thing they say that angers them as much as anything is when politicians suggest they're unemployed by choice, they're just sitting at home eating bonbons," Perez said. (He didn't cite a specific example of a politician alleging bonbon consumption by unemployed people.)

Perez has previously waded into the Capitol Hill policy debate on joblessness, repeatedly calling on Congress to revive extended unemployment insurance for the long-term jobless after lawmakers let the benefits expire last December. Republicans have tended to argue unemployment insurance doesn't do enough to create jobs, not that it actually stops people from taking them.

ALL of the violent little man
from some of your favorite place for hate

Moochers Against Welfare

Modern Republicans are very, very conservative; you might even (if you were Mitt Romney) say, severely conservative. Political scientists who use Congressional votes to measure such things find that the current G.O.P. majority is the most conservative since 1879, which is as far back as their estimates go.

And what these severe conservatives hate, above all, is reliance on government programs. Rick Santorum declares that President Obama is getting America hooked on “the narcotic of dependency.” Mr. Romney warns that government programs “foster passivity and sloth.” Representative Paul Ryan, the chairman of the House Budget Committee, requires that staffers read Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged,” in which heroic capitalists struggle against the “moochers” trying to steal their totally deserved wealth, a struggle the heroes win by withdrawing their productive effort and giving interminable speeches.

Many readers of The Times were, therefore, surprised to learn, from an excellent article published last weekend, that the regions of America most hooked on Mr. Santorum’s narcotic — the regions in which government programs account for the largest share of personal income — are precisely the regions electing those severe conservatives. Wasn’t Red America supposed to be the land of traditional values, where people don’t eat Thai food and don’t rely on handouts?

The article made its case with maps showing the distribution of dependency, but you get the same story from a more formal comparison. Aaron Carroll of Indiana University tells us that in 2010, residents of the 10 states Gallup ranks as “most conservative” received 21.2 percent of their income in government transfers, while the number for the 10 most liberal states was only 17.1 percent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/opinion/krugman-moochers-against-welfare.html?_r=0

Rush Limbaugh and His Army of Retired Government Moochers Don’t Want the Unemployed to Eat

The number of Americans not working, but eating and watching television, probably driving and making cell phone calls, 92,594,000. So 92,594,000 Americans are not working. They’re all eating. “Mr. Limbaugh, what’s the big deal about that? We’re a compassionate country. When people don’t have jobs they should be able to eat.” It used to not be that way Mr. New Castrati. You used to have to work to eat. There’s nothing good here, folks.

Rush Limbaugh and His Army of Retired Government Moochers Don't Want the Unemployed to Eat

Dallas Tea Party Honcho Calls Unemployment, Food-Stamp Recipients 'Moochers'

Dallas Tea Party Honcho Calls Unemployment, Food-Stamp Recipients 'Moochers' | Crooks and Liars

Neal Boortz says the moocher class is made up of people who are "perfectly content to live at the expense of others."

"Among the 254 counties where food stamp recipients doubled between 2007 and 2011, Republican Mitt Romney won 213 of them in last year’s presidential election"

Food Stamp Cut Backed by Republicans With Voters on Rolls - Bloomberg

Conservative idea of good welfare recipients... hedge fund managers, ultra-rich aristocrats who stash their fortunes overseas, hugely profitable corporations that ship our jobs overseas, the military-industrial-complex.

Conservative idea of bad welfare recipients... ordinary people down on their luck, the infirm, the elderly.

The moochers are red states and corporations.

Taking into account that Bush Jr left office January 20, 2009 & that the Obama Administration’s cabinet was finalized & approved by Congress in February 2009 at which time the unemployment rate was 8.3%.

By my calc with today’s July 2014 news of 6.1% unemployment rate means a drop of 2.2% in unemployment & dropping fast.

My Reference on the February 2009 unemployment rate: Graph: Unemployment rate (seasonally adjusted)
My Reference on the present 6.1% & dropping fast unemployment rate that upsets Republicans: ? Fox Business Host Actually Whines On Twitter About Low Unemployment Rate, Thinks It?s Bad For Economy

Best Regards
Lobato1

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

today; 18.8 million unemployed and 17.6 Trillion in debt
2008 13.5 million unemployed and 10.4 trillion in debt

I know math is very hard for liberals, so I'll just tell you that obama has failed the American people and has really really stuck it to the poor and working class

Yes, Dubya/GOP policy dug a REALLY deep and wide hole. Weird Dubya lost 673,000+ PRIVATE sector jobs in 8 years (not counting the 4+ millionm lost in 2009). YET under Obama 5+ million PRIVATE sector jobs have been created!

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

"We crashed the economy but we don't like the way you tried to fix it." - GOP.

Economic Downturn and Bush Policies Continue to Drive Large Projected Deficits

Just two policies dating from the Bush Administration — tax cuts and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan — accounted for over $500 billion of the deficit in 2009 and will account for $7 trillion in deficits in 2009 through 2019, including the associated debt-service costs.

Economic Downturn and Bush Policies Continue to Drive Large Projected Deficits ? Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Bush_flag-copy.jpg

If things aren't moved in a positive way democrats will just lie about it and no one would know the difference.

If the Unemployment rate were REALLY dropping then we'd a corresponding drop in the Welfare Rolls.

How's that going?

YOU believing Government lies enrages NO ONE!

SO YOU CAN'T CRITICALLY THINK? Depends on how wide and deep Dubya/ left US in the hole!

June marks 52 straight months of private sector job growth, the longest ever on record, beating out Bill Clinton's record of 51 continuous months of private sector job growth from February 1996 to April 2000

aren't you the guy that came here begging for money?

or was that some other leftist?

Red States Mostly Welfare States Dependent On Blue States But Likely Too Uninformed to Know

Red States Mostly Welfare States Dependent On Blue States But Likely Too Uninformed to Know

Blue States are from Scandinavia, Red States are from Guatemala A theory of a divided nation

In the red states, government is cheaper, which means the people who live there pay lower taxes. But they also get a lot less in return. The unemployment checks run out more quickly and the schools generally aren’t as good. Assistance with health care, child care, and housing is skimpier, if it exists at all. The result of this divergence is that one half of the country looks more and more like Scandinavia, while the other increasingly resembles a social Darwinist’s paradise.

Blue States are from Scandinavia, Red States are from Guatemala | New Republic

Best Regards
Lobato1

:eusa_clap:

If things aren't moved in a positive way democrats will just lie about it and no one would know the difference.

Your conspiracy theory might be right if only the media wasn't corporate owned and run. Look into when the media was deregulated and then how soon after 7 mega corporations bought them all up.

Forum List

Back