Your Uber Driver Might be a Vet

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I saw a report on this on FoxNews. Uber says it has recruited more than 50,000 veterans as drivers.

Okay, so I drove a regulated taxi. I find myself laughing about this because there are some politicians and businessmen who are more than teed off about this. In most cities, drivers and owners pay huge fees to city agencies for a permit called a medallion to drive. And then, they get more off what that little meter up front by the driver clicks off as you head for your destination.

How much of that lucre is NOT going to those bloodsuckers due to Uber? This is the first time I've checked it out, but here's how the fares are calculated. I had no idea that it varies due to city so be sure to click on the link for where you live.

The full story is @ Uber Has Recruited Tens of Thousands of Veterans As Drivers

More competition means lower prices...
icon_wink.gif

Economists see ride-hailing industry as ripe for competition
August 26, 2016 - Chinese powerhouse Didi Chuxing's acquisition of Uber Technologies Inc's China operations marked the biggest move yet toward consolidation in an industry that many investors and Silicon Valley pundits view as a winner-take-all game.
On the day the Didi deal was announced earlier this month, Uber board member Bill Gurley said Uber's rivals in other markets had a slim chance of splitting the market with the dominant player, just as Uber struggled to erode Didi's share in China. After China, the industry will consolidate in other markets, said Hans Tung, an Asia-focused investor and managing partner at GGV Capital, which backed Didi and Grab, a Singapore-based ride service. "There will be a dominant No. 1," he said that same day.

The consensus of 11 economists interviewed by Reuters, however, suggests an entirely different scenario, one of perpetual competition in a business with relatively few barriers to entry. "That one firm wins is a narrow and not accurate way to think about these firms," said David Evans, chairman of the Global Economics Group and co-author of a recent book that included Uber, "Matchmakers: The New Economics of Multisided Platforms." Ten other economists who have studied ride-hailing agreed that the growing industry, which UBS estimates to be a $40 billion market, has room for at least two successful players, and perhaps a few smaller ones.

The industry, they said, has none of the elements that traditionally have enabled single companies to control a sector. If it is the first of its kind, a company can dominate markets that have huge infrastructure costs, such as putting up cell towers or laying pipes; a large workforce of employees with specialized skills; and customers who get locked into a service and have difficulty leaving for competitors. Ride-services, by contrast, are relatively cheap to start, depend on contract labor with no inherent loyalty or specialized skills, and have free apps that can be downloaded in seconds. "You may not want to try a new social networking site if your friends aren't on it," Evans said. "But you don't care what app your friends use for ride-hailing."

The question of whether on-demand ride services will remain open to new players has vexed startups and investors since Uber started the industry seven years ago. Companies taking on Uber include Lyft in the United States, Grab in Southeast Asia, Ola in India and newer startups like New York City's Juno. In the United States, in particular, part of Uber's attraction to investors is the chance at grabbing the entire industry. In a statement, Uber said: "The ridesharing industry around the world is highly competitive and innovative. That's good for riders." Uber investor and board member Gurley argued that any competitor would need to pursue a different strategy - perhaps offering more luxury and high-end services - to successfully battle Uber in its strongest markets. Didi, Ola and Grab did not respond to requests for comment.

MORE

Self driving cars is going to crush this........no more importing muslim taxi drivers who cant do their job

Self driving cars is going to crush this........no more importing muslim taxi drivers who cant do their job
That would be better than Uber or Lyft. I seldom use the taxi form of transportation but I would never use Uber or anything like that.

That would be better than Uber or Lyft. I seldom use the taxi form of transportation but I would never use Uber or anything like that.
why not uber?
There is absolutely no information on these people anyplace. Taking a taxi is taking a chance. Taking an Uber is taking a bigger chance.

why not uber?
There is absolutely no information on these people anyplace. Taking a taxi is taking a chance. Taking an Uber is taking a bigger chance.
Not big taxi user myself...did use Uber once though couple yrs ago.....were quick, and had spacious vehicle...also was more expensive than a cab...which didnt bother

Forum List

Back