Your Favorite Christmas Movie

In 2020, the casts members that were alive were Virginian Patton who played Ruth Dakin Bailey and all the children: Carol Coombs (Janie Bailey), Jimmy Hawkins (Tommy Bailey). Karolyn Grimes (Zuzu Bailey), Jeanine Ann Roose (young Violet Bick), Jean Gale (young Mary Hatch), and Ronnie Ralph (young Sam Wainwright).
Thank you.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

P.S. The lady that gave us Ruth is 96 now.

Here is another good Christmas movie. "Since You Went Away" is a very good movie, likely to bring a tear to your eyes, and put a smile on your face. Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 83%. I would give at least a 90% but it is definitely not for action adventure fans.

It is an epic about the American home front during World War II so don't expect any combat sciences. Some will find it too sentimental, but the tone is comparable to what you'd find in other Frank Capra's movies of the era. So if you liked "A Wonderful Life" or "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" you might like "Since You Went Away". It's a sweet film, and it's a true surprise that it's not better-remembered today. It was academy award winner, with 8 nominations. It has incredible cast that includes Claudette Cobert, Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotton, Shirley Temple, Robert Walker, Monty Wooley, Lionel Barrymore, Hattie McDaniel's, Agnes Moorehead, Keanan Wynn, Guy Madison, and about a dozen other actors that old movie fans will recognize.

The only complain I have about the movie is it's bit long, almost 3 hours.
Like a lot of fine older movies it in public domain and is free on Youtube in it's entirely.

Anything with chain saws and paniced teenagers.
Believe it or not there are some such movies that are called Christmas movies. For some reason, Santa with blood dripping off his beard from the family he has just eaten does not put me into the Christmas spirit.

Here is another good Christmas movie. "Since You Went Away" is a very good movie, likely to bring a tear to your eyes, and put a smile on your face. Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 83%. I would give at least a 90% but it is definitely not for action adventure fans.

It is an epic about the American home front during World War II so don't expect any combat sciences. Some will find it too sentimental, but the tone is comparable to what you'd find in other Frank Capra's movies of the era. So if you liked "A Wonderful Life" or "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" you might like "Since You Went Away". It's a sweet film, and it's a true surprise that it's not better-remembered today. It was academy award winner, with 8 nominations. It has incredible cast that includes Claudette Cobert, Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotton, Shirley Temple, Robert Walker, Monty Wooley, Lionel Barrymore, Hattie McDaniel's, Agnes Moorehead, Keanan Wynn, Guy Madison, and about a dozen other actors that old movie fans will recognize.

The only complain I have about the movie is it's bit long, almost 3 hours.
Like a lot of fine older movies it in public domain and is free on Youtube in it's entirely.

Frank Capra was a great storyteller.

It's a Wonderful Life is top of my list.

For animation, there's A Charlie Brown Christmas, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and The Little Drummer Boy, all of which I've loved since childhood.
I was going to say tots a wonderful,life also.

A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim was my favorite version until I saw the Patrick Stewart version. Truly, truly excellent.

I like the Hallmark Christmas movies.

Frank Capra was a great storyteller.
The typical Capra film is a story intended to teach a lesson featuring an idealistic central character. This unlikely hero overcomes tremendous odds and triumphs over the forces of cynicism and materialism. What's not to like?

Capra does essential everything you might expect of a great director, skill in handling actors, staging complex scenes, and recreating authentically American dialogue onscreen. As strange as it might seem, "A Wonderful Life" was his downfall. Capra broke away from RKO to form Liberty Pictures to make his picture. He believed Wonderful Life was going be tremendous and he sunk a lot of his own money in it. Capra said, “I thought it was the greatest film I ever made,” “Better yet, I thought it was the greatest film anybody ever made.” The world didn't agree. When it opened in 1947, It's a Wonderful Life fell well short of breaking even and brought down Liberty Pictures. Paramount fell heir to Liberty pictures including Wonderful Life and Capra. They didn't think much of Capra or his movie. Although Capra tried to get Wonderful Life released, Paramount hade no interest. Capra made a few movies for Paramount but they were not his kind of movies and in 1952 he effectively retired from commercial movie making to make education films. He made a few more movies for Paramount to fulfill his contract and went into retirement. Capra lived to 1991 and saw his greatest movie to become recognized as one of American's greatest movies.

Last edited:
It's a Wonderful Life is probably #1.
George C Scott Christmas Carol
A Christmas Story is a must
Trailer Park Boys Christmas - the Ricky/Dad/Bubbles scene is the funniest Christmas scene in movie history.
The Man who Invented Christmas.

Trailer Park Boys Ricky scene... NSFW. Those not familiar with TPB, it was a Canadian TV show with a cult like following. Once you watch a few episodes, and get to know the characters etc. it is one of the best sitcoms in TV history IMO... albeit a LOT of cursing.

It's a Wonderful Life is probably #1.
George C Scott Christmas Carol
A Christmas Story is a must
Trailer Park Boys Christmas - the Ricky/Dad/Bubbles scene is the funniest Christmas scene in movie history.
The Man who Invented Christmas.

Trailer Park Boys Ricky scene... NSFW. Those not familiar with TPB, it was a Canadian TV show with a cult like following. Once you watch a few episodes, and get to know the characters etc. it is one of the best sitcoms in TV history IMO... albeit a LOT of cursing.

Are the episodes available on YouTube

White Christmas
Miracle on 34th Street (original)
Meet Me in St. Louis
Die Hard
It's a Wonderful Life

Die Hard?

Indeed. Die Hard is a Christmas Movie.

Die Hard is a Christmas Movie.png

Indeed. Die Hard is a Christmas Movie.

View attachment 574623
I think it depends on what you call a Christmas movie. IMHO, having a couple of 30 second scenes of Santa and Christmas trees in between the violence does not make it a Christmas movie. There are a lot of things we associate with Christmas, murder and violence is not one of them. Don't get me wrong, Die Hard was a good movie, I just don't think of it as a Christmas movie.

I think it depends on what you call a Christmas movie. IMHO, having a couple of 30 second scenes of Santa and Christmas trees in between the violence does not make it a Christmas movie. There are a lot of things we associate with Christmas, murder and violence is not one of them. Don't get me wrong, Die Hard was a good movie, I just don't think of it as a Christmas movie.

It's a Christmas Movie. The action takes place at a Christmas Party - it is the raison d'etre for McClane's presence. And in the end, the Gruber is defeated and the McClane family is safe to celebrate the holiday.

Its been a while since I saw it bt I always thought of "Shop Around the Corner" as a christmas movie. Nice, cosy film.

That's a sweet movie. It was one of my mother's favorites. Thank you for the reminder - I'll have to watch it this year.

It's a Christmas Movie. The action takes place at a Christmas Party - it is the raison d'etre for McClane's presence. And in the end, the Gruber is defeated and the McClane family is safe to celebrate the holiday.
Ok, so it's just not my kind of Christmas movie

Forum List

Back