The 100 Best Christmas Movies of All Times -Really?

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Rotten Tomatoes publishes their The 100 Best Christmas Movies of All Times each year. They are mostly pretty good movies, but are they Christmas movies?

First we have a heart warming tale, Tangerine at number 5 sandwiched between Miracle on 34th Street and Klaus. Tangerine is not the story of the boy in Florida growing up on a Tangerine Farm. This is the tender story an LA transvestite prostitute who discovers her boyfriend and pimp has been cheating on her. So if you're anxious to see how LA street whores, their customers and their pimps celebrates Christmas in between blowjobs then this is the movie for you.

Just ahead of It's a Wonderful Life we have Carol ranked number 9. Carol tells the story of a forbidden affair between an aspiring female photographer and an older woman. It actually is a good movie but not much a Christmas movie. It certainly is not a better Christmas movie than It's a Wonderful Life.

At number 18, just ahead of Jingle, Jingle. A Christmas Journey we have Edward Scissorhands, a Tim Burton movie with Johnny Depp. That should tell you all you need to now. It is certainly a good movie, however I think it is just to weird to call it a Christmas movie.

The problem with many best Christmas movie lists is that they are often highly rated movies that are released between Thanksgiving and New Years and are assumed to have some connection with Christmas, although often vague. If you're planning on a Christmas Eve or Christmas Day watching the best Christmas movies with the family, you might google the trailers if you're not familiarly with the movies or you may be in for a big surprise.

Last edited:
The Christmas Warren Buffet and Bill Gates Did Something for Starving Americans…
A Fairy Tale.

Any list of all-time great Christmas movies has to start with:
1) Die Hard
2) Krampus
3) Anything starring Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo

Toss the rest in a hat 'cuz IDC

The Grinch who stole Christmas

With fantasy you got to go with cartoons.

My List

A Christmas Story
It’s a Wonderful Life
The Bishops Wife
A Christmas Carol with Alister Simms
Miracle on 34th St
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is my favorite. I love the animation. I think I have seen it almost every year for as long as I can remember.

I just finished watching Rudolph

But I look at it as a TV Christmas Special along with Charley Brown Christmas, Grinch, Frosty and all those Rankin and Bass animations

I wasn't surprised to see my most favorite film missing from the list.

Ernest Saves Christmas

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Jingle All The Way wasn't listed either.

How do you define a Christmas movie?

To me, it is more than just being set during the Christmas season
Die Hard would be the same movie if it were set during the 4th of July
It should have definite Christmas related themes

Actually, everyone in my circle of friends favors the George C. Scott version.

I always though of Peter Pan (stage play, but I believe it was shown as though it were a movie), and the Wizard of Oz as Christmas movies because that's when they were shown on the Telly.

As fcuked up as it is, I think Schrooged (Bill Murray) is worth a look.

I watched the Bishops Wife last night. Cary Grant gives us an exercise in charisma that has to be seen to be believed.
That should be on every xmas list.
On Amazon at the moment.
Robert Sherwood who wrote the script said he thought Grant would make a good Bishop and Niven a good Angel and both actors agreed but Samuel Goldwyn did not want to delay production to re-write the script.

Grant's role as the angel is a good example of Cary Grant's development of his screen persona that lasted for another 25 years, lightly-comedic, usually the straight man, the perfect gentlemen, calm, debonair, romanic but not really sexy. Archie had said several times, I often wish I really were Cary Grant. His screen persona has been imitated many times but not very successfully. Ian Fleming patterned James Bond after Cary Grant. In fact Grant, was offered the role but turned it down because he thought he was too old for the character, which he probably was.

Forum List

Back