Your Favorite Christmas Movie

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
It's that time of year again, time for Christmas movies. Maybe you're looking for movies for Christmas with the kids, a date, or an action adventure for the family. There are plenty to choose from, thousands in fact. See link below Rotten Tomatoes 65 Very Best Christmas Movies is a pretty good list but there are a few I think belong somewhere on that list if they aren't there.

Movies I like at Christmas are ones I call feel good movies; that is they put a smile on your face after watching. Here are several that I think qualify.
The Bishops Wife is definitely a feel good movie with Cary Grant as an Angel is sent to earth to help a minister played by David Niven who is more interested in building a great cathedral than in his loving wife and the true meaning of Christmas.

A Holiday Affair, a low budget movie starring Robert Mitcham and Janet Leigh. It's a romantic comedy about a comparison shopper (something that no longer exist), a dept. store salesmen, a lawyer, a little boy who wants a train for Christmas, a lonely squirrel, a thief, and a little girl with a whirligig on her head. It all comes together in a delightful little Christmas movie.

Love Actually, a heart warming romantic comedy that's set during Christmas. The cast includes Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Colin Firth, Laura Linney, Emma Thomson, Keira Knightley, Alan Rickman, and Bill Nighy. Mostly filmed on location in London, the screenplay delves into different aspects of love as shown through ten separate stories involving a wide variety of individuals, many of whom are shown to be interlinked as the tales progress. The story begins five weeks before Christmas and is played out in a weekly countdown until the holiday, followed by an epilogue that takes place one month later. It's a different kind of movie but I say it's a funny feel good comedy but maybe not for ever one. It also has great soundtrack.

Come to the Stable is a 1949 movie telling the true story of two French nuns who come to a small New England town and involve the townsfolk in helping them to build a children's hospital. It stars Loretta Young, Celeste Holm, Hugh Marlowe, Elsa Lanchester, Thomas Gomez. Another feel good movie which was nominated for 8 Academy Awards.

How about your favorite Christmas movie?

Last edited:
Gremlins
Bad Santa
Scrooged
Batman Returns
Krampus
A Christmas Horror Story
Red Christmas
I'm surprised you didn't include

santas-slay-5708bdb065e00.jpg

It's a Wonderful Life is top of my list.

For animation, there's A Charlie Brown Christmas, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and The Little Drummer Boy, all of which I've loved since childhood.
I guess I'm kind of weird but I love the Grinch. A Charlie Brown Christmas has been a favorite in my family, first my kids, and now my grand kids and maybe a new grandchild for Christmas.

It's A Wonderful Life is a great feel good movie I have seen it at least a dozen times. I don't watch it any more because I have seen it so many times.

It's that time of year again, time for Christmas movies. Maybe you're looking for movies for Christmas with the kids, a date, or an action adventure for the family. There are plenty to choose from, thousands in fact. See link below Rotten Tomatoes 65 Very Best Christmas Movies is a pretty good list but there are a few I think belong somewhere on that list if they aren't there.

Movies I like at Christmas are ones I call feel good movies; that is they put a smile on your face after watching. Here are several that I think qualify.
The Bishops Wife is definitely a feel good movie with Cary Grant as an Angel is sent to earth to help a minister played by David Niven who is more interested in building a great cathedral than in his loving wife and the true meaning of Christmas.

A Holiday Affair, a low budget movie starring Robert Mitcham and Janet Leigh. It's a romantic comedy about a comparison shopper (something that no longer exist), a dept. store salesmen, a lawyer, a little boy who wants a train for Christmas, a lonely squirrel, a thief, and a little girl with a whirligig on her head. It all comes together in a delightful little Christmas movie.

Love Actually, a heart warming romantic comedy that's set during Christmas. The cast includes Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Colin Firth, Laura Linney, Emma Thomson, Keira Knightley, Alan Rickman, and Bill Nighy. Mostly filmed on location in London, the screenplay delves into different aspects of love as shown through ten separate stories involving a wide variety of individuals, many of whom are shown to be interlinked as the tales progress. The story begins five weeks before Christmas and is played out in a weekly countdown until the holiday, followed by an epilogue that takes place one month later. It's a different kind of movie but I say it's a funny feel good comedy but maybe not for ever one. It also has great soundtrack.

Come to the Stable is a 1949 movie telling the true story of two French nuns who come to a small New England town and involve the townsfolk in helping them to build a children's hospital. It stars Loretta Young, Celeste Holm, Hugh Marlowe, Elsa Lanchester, Thomas Gomez. Another feel good movie which was nominated for 8 Academy Awards.

My 5 favorites are:
I never fail to watch these films every year.
  1. Home Alone
  2. Home Alone 2: Lost In New York
  3. The Santa Clause 2
  4. A Christmas Story
  5. Elf
Honorable mention:
  • White Christmas
  • A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas
  • How The Grinch Stole Christmas: Original Cartoon Version 1966
  • Charlie Brown Christmas
  • Jingle All The Way
  • Disney's Christmas Carol
  • Shazam
  • Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone
  • Home Alone 3
  • Gremlins
  • Holiday Inn
  • The Christmas Chronicles 2
  • Trading Places
  • Nutcracker: The Movie

I've seen "It's A Wonderful Life" and to be honest....I don't think it was even close to being the best.

Not sure if it's my favorite but its definitely one of my favorites..."The Family Stone"

My favorite:

Attachments

• 1478879153-die-hard.jpg
    1478879153-die-hard.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 47

Forum List

Back