Notting Hill -Neflix

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
It's that time of year for funny, romantic, feel good movies and Notting Hill fits the bill perfectly. It's hard to believe it's over 20 years old but this movie is still just as funny and romantic as it was in 2000. In the context of the story, Julie Roberts has one of most romantic lines in movie history, "After all, I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her." Much of the success of this movie is due to screenwriter Richard Curtis who wrote a number hit romantic comedies including Four Weddings and a Funeral, Bridget Jones Diary, and Love Actually.

Notting Hill is available on Netflix and Hulu also Prime, Vudu, and AppleTV for rent or buy. It show up every year on cable channels before or after Christmas. If you haven't seen it and like romantic comedies, you should give it a try.

As it is, neither Bonzi or I can take more than a few seconds of Hugh Grant.
Can't stand him. And pair that with the annoying Julie Roberts... hell on a screen. :lol:
At least Roberts can truly act if she wants to.
Grant only knows how to play a whimsical, goofy pretty boy. Ugh.

As it is, neither Bonzi or I can take more than a few seconds of Hugh Grant.
Can't stand him. And pair that with the annoying Julie Roberts... hell on a screen. :lol:
At least Roberts can truly act if she wants to.
Grant only knows how to play a whimsical, goofy pretty boy. Ugh.
If you don't like the persona of the leading characters, I would assume you would not like the movie. It's interesting how different people see actors so differently. I think Grant is perfect as the shy book store owner. He is certainly not a playboy in this role. Roberts’s “I’m just a girl” scene, which is endlessly mocked, is delivered with absolute sincerity and charm and provides a perfect ending for the movie.

If you don't like the persona of the leading characters, I would assume you would not like the movie. It's interesting how different people see actors so differently. I think Grant is perfect as the shy book store owner. He is certainly not a playboy in this role. Roberts’s “I’m just a girl” scene, which is endlessly mocked, is delivered with absolute sincerity and charm and provides a perfect ending for the movie.
Probably more accurate is Rom Coms are the genre I loathe.
Especially the ones that lean more Rom than Com.
So formulaic and predictable. Ugh.
Now other Rom Coms that lean more Com than Rom can be good. Like Money Pit, Devil wears Prada.
Also I always thought Julie Roberts is too good of an actor to be wasted on cheesy Rom Coms.
Just my opinion, I am aware other folks like them. Just not me.

Just about the only film with Julia Roberts that I can tolerate. The other one might be Erin Brockovich.

Just about the only film with Julia Roberts that I can tolerate. The other one might be Erin Brockovich.
I liked her best in this movie and Pretty Woman. She was once called the Queen of the Rom-Coms. Today, at 55 she's a bit too old for that and and does a lot of drama

Forum List

Back