You were never slaves in Egypt

This is more in answer to the assertion of trolling. Along with etymology, history, ancient cultures, various forms of literature, and theology, I also pursue genealogy. I offer my own conclusion with the hope you will not be offended, because I am fine with all those who believe Exodus should be taken literally, word-for-word.

First, I do take exception (as scholarly as it may be) in the writers of the article shared in the OP's use of "myth" and "mythology" in their assessment of Exodus.

Our ancestors told family stories. By time a great-great grandchild is on the scene, there are stories from at least sixteen different ancestors, spanning at least a hundred years. Listening to my children relate our own family stories, I understand how things become compacted. Indian wars become part of the Revolution; stories of colonists traveling from one Eastern state to another are attached to the Western migration, several generations later. A many-great grandparent is simply referenced as 'a great-grandparent'.

That the Hebrew nation could patch together (if you will) so many generations of family stories is amazing, astonishing. Today, we are lucky if people know anything about their great-grandparents, let alone an entire family genealogy dating back thousands of years.

Be proud, remain proud. If some scholars want to dismiss the story of Exodus because they feel it is not chronologically correct, shrug. Our ancient ancestors have done a much better job that we do today of keeping descendants informed about the major events that formed who we are today--and have been down through the ages.

This is more in answer to the assertion of trolling. Along with etymology, history, ancient cultures, various forms of literature, and theology, I also pursue genealogy. I offer my own conclusion with the hope you will not be offended, because I am fine with all those who believe Exodus should be taken literally, word-for-word.

First, I do take exception (as scholarly as it may be) in the writers of the article shared in the OP's use of "myth" and "mythology" in their assessment of Exodus.

Our ancestors told family stories. By time a great-great grandchild is on the scene, there are stories from at least sixteen different ancestors, spanning at least a hundred years. Listening to my children relate our own family stories, I understand how things become compacted. Indian wars become part of the Revolution; stories of colonists traveling from one Eastern state to another are attached to the Western migration, several generations later. A many-great grandparent is simply referenced as 'a great-grandparent'.

That the Hebrew nation could patch together (if you will) so many generations of family stories is amazing, astonishing. Today, we are lucky if people know anything about their great-grandparents, let alone an entire family genealogy dating back thousands of years.

Be proud, remain proud. If some scholars want to dismiss the story of Exodus because they feel it is not chronologically correct, shrug. Our ancient ancestors have done a much better job that we do today of keeping descendants informed about the major events that formed who we are today--and have been down through the ages.
My issue was that the OP is a blatant antisemite, and I found it troubling that of all the religions - also with many generations of story-telling - the only one she chose to discredit was the one central to Judaism. She is known for starting many such threads.

My issue was that the OP is a blatant antisemite, and I found it troubling that of all the religions - also with many generations of story-telling - the only one she chose to discredit was the one central to Judaism. She is known for starting many such threads.
Have no fear. Exodus cannot be discredited. No, it does not read like a modern rendition of a news story, an Encyclopedia article, etc. Our ancestors were much more clever. I teach history sometimes, and often the material taught is only retained about as long as the day of the test. Countless times the response to my, "We introduced this to you last year," is met with, "Oh, yeah...I forgot." Exodus is remembered.

They are also taking it out of context, they (the Jews of that period) had never been slaves. It in no way includes the Hebrews in the time of Moses.
Whoever wrote that Gospel probably had no knowledge of the history of the Jews.

Nobody who calls the Bible a book of myths can be a Christian. You are not a Christian. You and Trump share that, he isn't a Christian either.
The Bible is foundation myths usually borrowed from Sumer or other cultures. It's also poetry, law, teaching narratives.. Have you considered why the ancient Jews wrote it or what they were trying to teach you about God and their history? Have you read the book of Jasher? There's so much more about Lot and his daughters. Many more details about Sodom and Gomorrah.

Forum List

Back