CDZ You wanna stop gun violence?

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
I thought this powerful enough to have its own thread. Well said but complex.

“Mass shootings have become routine in the United States and speak to a society that relies on violence to feed the coffers of the merchants of death. Given the profits made by arms manufacturers, the defense industry, gun dealers and the lobbyists who represent them in Congress, it comes as no surprise that the culture of violence cannot be abstracted from either the culture of business or the corruption of politics. Violence runs through US society like an electric current offering instant pleasure from all cultural sources, whether it be the nightly news or a television series that glorifies serial killers.” Henry A. Giroux

"You want to stop the gun violence?

Stop the worship of violence that permeates our culture.

Stop glorifying the military industrial complex with flyovers and salutes during sports spectacles.

Stop acting as if there is anything patriotic about military exercises and occupations that bomb hospitals and schools.

Stop treating guns and war as entertainment fodder in movies, music, video games, toys, amusement parks, reality TV and more....""

Mass Shootings: the Military-Entertainment Complex’s Culture of Violence Turns Deadly

'Fuck You, Guns'

America has become a killing field.

Eric wishes the NRA were around when he was.
Banning AR-15's Doesn't Make Sense To Me

PS I constantly get alerts but rarely have time to review them all, over two thousand currently. If you think you can counter my threads or posts pm me. I do sometimes review threads. Thanks.

“Mass shootings have become routine in the United States and speak to a society that relies on violence to feed the coffers of the merchants of death. Given the profits made by arms manufacturers, the defense industry, gun dealers and the lobbyists who represent them in Congress, it comes as no surprise that the culture of violence cannot be abstracted from either the culture of business or the corruption of politics. Violence runs through US society like an electric current offering instant pleasure from all cultural sources, whether it be the nightly news or a television series that glorifies serial killers.” Henry A. Giroux

Stop glorifying the military industrial complex with flyovers and salutes during sports spectacles.

Stop acting as if there is anything patriotic about military exercises and occupations that bomb hospitals and schools.

Stop treating guns and war as entertainment fodder in movies, music, video games, toys, amusement parks, reality TV and more....""

Mass Shootings: the Military-Entertainment Complex’s Culture of Violence Turns Deadly

'Fuck You, Guns'

PS I constantly get alerts but rarely have time to review them all, over two thousand currently. If you think you can counter my threads or posts pm me. I do sometimes review threads. Thanks.

Yo, Sounds Like You Don`t Mind Living In A Dictatorship Country!!!!

"GTP"
"BAD IDEA"
DZSRU7M.gif

I want to teach people to shoot straight. Especially mud people. What is it with drive by'z N shit. If I fire 10 rounds 8 assholes are getting buried. These idiots shoot dozens of rounds and hit someone in the calf. THATS terrible !

'Fuck You, Guns'

Welp.. There goes Hollywood.. And toy soldiers. And the all volunteer military... Here's comes the draft, and FDR's tyrannical Media Review Committees and more kids tossed out of school for making a gun out of a Pop Tart..

'Fuck You, Guns'

Welp.. There goes Hollywood.. And toy soldiers. And the all volunteer military... Here's comes the draft, and FDR's tyrannical Media Review Committees and more kids tossed out of school for making a gun out of a Pop Tart..
I made a gun out of a pop tart today, but it didn't work. I couldn't kill anyone with it. So I then ate the rest of the pop tart.

Stop the worship of violence that permeates our culture. Might want to talk to Hollywood about about this.

Stop glorifying the military industrial complex with flyovers and salutes during sports spectacles. Flyovers and salutes are to them men and women who serve, and IMHO not just the military either. I include the police, fire, first responders, and everyone else who risks life and limb to help someone else in distress.

Stop acting as if there is anything patriotic about military exercises and occupations that bomb hospitals and schools. No one at all acts as though bombing a school or church or hospital is patriotic, that is an absurd thing to say.

Stop treating guns and war as entertainment fodder in movies, music, video games, toys, amusement parks, reality TV and more...." Again, Hollywood. Good luck with this.

Let me know if and when Mr Giroux ever comes up with something other than this purely political poppycock.

If you want to stop gun violence.....

--find a way to reduce single teenage mothers having multiple children with different fathers.

--when you catch a criminal using a gun for crime, lock them up for 30 years.

These two things will reduce our already falling gun crime rate.

“Stop the worship of violence that permeates our culture.”

Correct.

The issue is the American propensity for violence, where American culture is uniquely violent, and where violence is sanctioned as a legitimate means of conflict resolution – having nothing to do with the availability of guns or the types of guns available, rendering the further regulation of firearms unwarranted and pointless.

FWIW, I saw the opening clause in the essay and wondered whether mass shootings occur frequently enough to be considered "routine." After all, the only ones I knew about were the ones that make it onto the national news.

Surprisingly, it turns out there were almost 480 mass shootings in the U.S. in 2016. We're at 344 for 2017, seven of which occurred since Paddock killed nearly 60 people in Las Vegas.

That's an average of more than one mass shooting per day! Dear, God! I shudder to think of the list of routine "bad things" that occur and that don't happen even once a day and we are more committed to bringing them to a halt, one way or another.

Correct.

The issue is the American propensity for violence, where American culture is uniquely violent, and where violence is sanctioned as a legitimate means of conflict resolution – having nothing to do with the availability of guns or the types of guns available, rendering the further regulation of firearms unwarranted and pointless.

No...individual violence by our criminal class is more violent. Government sponsored violence in Europe is their way....and it has murdered far more people than our street thugs have.

FWIW, I saw the opening clause in the essay and wondered whether mass shootings occur frequently enough to be considered "routine." After all, the only ones I knew about were the ones that make it onto the national news.

Surprisingly, it turns out there were almost 480 mass shootings in the U.S. in 2016. We're at 344 for 2017, seven of which occurred since Paddock killed nearly 60 people in Las Vegas.

That's an average of more than one mass shooting per day! Dear, God! I shudder to think of the list of routine "bad things" that occur and that don't happen even once a day and we are more committed to bringing them to a halt, one way or another.

that list includes gang members shooting other gang members at parties and dice games, and over girlfriends and facebook insults......no one considers those Mass Public shootings when they hear the term.....

As to the Vegas shooter....he murdered 58 people with 2 rifles.....the guy in Nice, France murdered 89 people with a rental truck....and French terrorists on government terrorist watch lists got completely banned and illegal, fully automatic rifles, and murdered over 130 people....

the criminal activity, and domestic violence are not considered mass shootings...anti gunners have to include them in their total...because the actual total, as listed by Mother Jones, an anti gun, left wing source, has the mass public shooting number for 2016 at 6....with 71 murdered that year...here is the list of actual, mass public shootings....

Notice the comparison between mass public shooting deaths and other types of death...

Number of mass public shootings.....

So you see......they aren't common, and compared to other ways of dying...mass public shootings are not a problem.....and would be less of a problem if we got rid of gun free zones...

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2017: Data From Mother Jones’ Investigation – Mother Jones
US Mass Shootings, 1982-2016: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation

How many deaths on average according to Mother Jones...anti gun, uber left wing Mother Jones.......each year, well less than 73.

2014..... 9
2013..... 36
2012..... 72
2011..... 19
2002...not listed by mother jones
1999...42 ( Columbine)
1991...35 (Looby's cafe)
1983...none listed

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/leading_causes_death.html

Cars, Accidental deaths 2015......36,161

Poisons...accidental deaths 2015...47,478

gravity....accidental falling deaths 2015...33,381
Accidental drowning 2015 .....3,602
Accidental suffocation 2015...6,914
Accidental Machiinery 2015... 550

Accidental gun death 2015... 489

'Fuck You, Guns'

I made a gun out of a pop tart today, but it didn't work. I couldn't kill anyone with it. So I then ate the rest of the pop tart.
Since I'm overweight, eating the pop tart might kill me.

'Fuck You, Guns'

Since I'm overweight, eating the pop tart might kill me.
lol

“Mass shootings have become routine in the United States

Looking at the question of whether the opening premise in the OP is accurate, one must address a few main things:
  1. Define "mass shooting" -- As it turns out, there is no legal definition for that term. There are quite a few, all falling somewhere on the spectrum having "endpoints" of:
  2. Reconcile normatively the definition one chooses with one's principles about the sanctity of extant lives and a person's right not to, by another human being, have their life involuntarily ended or altered.
  3. Reconcile positively the definition one chooses with the facts of human psychology and sociology, that is, human nature and human behavior, both as individuals and as members of groups.
  4. Given one's principles regarding life's sanctity and human psychology, identify courses of action that align unequivocally with them, both in terms of guns and so-called gun rights and in terms of one's stance on the sanctity of a person's life.
At the end of the day, the so-called gun debate isn't about guns or gun rights. It's not about whether there be mass or single shootings. It's about the value one places on the lives of extant persons and the extent to which one embraces the notion that a society, one's own, establish mores, modes and means by which one person is permitted to use their very existence, in concert with a device having as its primary purpose killing and injuring, as a foundation for ending or impeding that of another person.

Last edited:

'Fuck You, Guns'

The cognitive dissonance here is that left wing muppets worship Hollywood morality and social engineering, which of course makes abusing firearms and glorifying mindless violence a major profit center, thinks of abortion on demand as merely a medical procedure similar to having a wart removed, endorses and romanticizes black gang violence and BLM vermin, makes heroes out of street thugs, etc., etc., anything which desensitizes people and normalizes psychotic behavior and mindless self-indulgence, then out of the other sides of their mouths whine and cry about the NRA, the military, and 'gun violence' .... Their own insipid juvenile Kulturekampf is largely responsible, but of course they can't admit this, and besides, they're mostly amoral sociopaths anyway. Hate to burst their bubbles but it isn't the NRA that is the problem, kiddies.

Stop the worship of violence that permeates our culture. Might want to talk to Hollywood about about this.

Stop glorifying the military industrial complex with flyovers and salutes during sports spectacles. Flyovers and salutes are to them men and women who serve, and IMHO not just the military either. I include the police, fire, first responders, and everyone else who risks life and limb to help someone else in distress.

Stop acting as if there is anything patriotic about military exercises and occupations that bomb hospitals and schools. No one at all acts as though bombing a school or church or hospital is patriotic, that is an absurd thing to say.

Stop treating guns and war as entertainment fodder in movies, music, video games, toys, amusement parks, reality TV and more...." Again, Hollywood. Good luck with this.

Let me know if and when Mr Giroux ever comes up with something other than this purely political poppycock.

How long do you think "Hollywood" would continue to peddle this stuff if few people bought it? It is not "Hollywood's" fault this is so pervasive, at least not entirely. Similarly, how long do you think Ford, GM, Dodge, etc. would continue to peddle vehicles few people bought? Not very long, I should say. No, let us put the blame where it belongs. "We the People" are demanding it, and "Hollywood", being smart businesses, provides it. Pure and simple, we stop buying, they will stop producing it. So, it is "We the People" who are to blame. Want to do your part? Stop buying this stuff. Simple to say, not so simple to do.

Correct.

Replace "American" with "human" and I would wholeheartedly agree.

Forum List

Back