You can pass one law to limit monopolies...

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
This is, mostly, for all the people who are worried about monopolies and oligarchies but anyone that thinks they have an answer can weigh in.

I am actually lifting this question from another source that I will give in my next post. The reason I am doing it that way is to give everyone to actually think about the question as it stands instead of seeing it as an attack on their position.

Anyway, you can pass one law to limit the market size of companies, what would it be. There is actually a really simple answer, so I am not looking tor a omnibus bill that will remake the entire economy, just a simple law to restrict the power of companies to monopolize a market.

What would it be?

The source of the question, and the simple answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure worrying about it's sensible. Only a handfull of companies on the planet if you backtrack what parent company owns the subsidiary and on n on. Monopolies already exist and have for quite some time. Google 'who owns what' sometime.

Not sure worrying about it's sensible. Only a handfull of companies on the planet if you backtrack what parent company owns the subsidiary and on n on. Monopolies already exist and have for quite some time. Google 'who owns what' sometime.

First, you really need to look up the defintion of the word monopoly.

Second, you really didn't address the OP. Considering you actually made a thread about how we should utilize this forum more, perhaps you should read the rules about responding to the actual posts, not just the thread.

The law would be that no one person may own all properties of one deed color, all railroads, or all utilities.

I'm going to diverge just a bit because there is no one law that could be passed that would fix our problems with monopolies.

You see, the problem we have with monopolies today are the RESULT of laws.

Take health care for example. Used to be every family practice doc would come out of residency and start their own family practice, or buy into a small family practice office. Now the big hospitals are busy buying up all these small practices, and physicians just can't compete.

Why?

Because the big hospitals #1) already know how to wade their way through the immense bureaucratical mess required to get paid, and #2) they have the political clout to implement even more bureaucratical mess that keeps their competitors at bay.

As another example - look at the taxi services in NY. It's a monopoly of just a few. Why? Because of bureaucracy....and the requirement for a taxi driver to have that million dollar government issued chip.

I'm going to diverge just a bit because there is no one law that could be passed that would fix our problems with monopolies.

Take health care for example. Used to be every family practice doc would come out of residency and start their own family practice, or buy into a small family practice office. Now the big hospitals are busy buying up all these small practices, and physicians just can't compete.

Why?

Because the big hospitals #1) already know how to wade their way through the immense bureaucratical mess required to get paid, and #2) they have the political clout to implement even more bureaucratical mess that keeps their competitors at bay.

As another example - look at the taxi services in NY. It's a monopoly of just a few. Why? Because of bureaucracy....and the requirement for a taxi driver to have that million dollar government issued chip.
It is government interference in the market that creates monopolies in the first place.

Why?

It is government interference in the market that creates monopolies in the first place.

QFT!

boedicca-albums-mo-4-boedicca-s-stuff-picture6367-rock.gif

Why?

That was covered in the video in my second post, but I do appreciate that other people see the problem.

This is, mostly, for all the people who are worried about monopolies and oligarchies but anyone that thinks they have an answer can weigh in.

I am actually lifting this question from another source that I will give in my next post. The reason I am doing it that way is to give everyone to actually think about the question as it stands instead of seeing it as an attack on their position.

Anyway, you can pass one law to limit the market size of companies, what would it be. There is actually a really simple answer, so I am not looking tor a omnibus bill that will remake the entire economy, just a simple law to restrict the power of companies to monopolize a market.

What would it be?

Confine congress STRICTLY to their enumerated powers in Article 1 Section 8 of the US Constitution. 90% of corporate protection and influence among the federal government eliminated! Of course, so is federal welfare programs.

Last edited:
Confine congress STRICTLY to their enumerated powers in Article 1 Section 8 of the US Constitution. 90% of corporate protection and influence among the federal government eliminated! Of course, so is federal welfare programs.

THIS!!!!

Of course, the judiciary would just expand it again....

THIS!!!!

Of course, the judiciary would just expand it again....

They never really expanded it to any great degree until this happened. The switch in time that saved nine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They never really expanded it to any great degree until this happened. The switch in time that saved nine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see how upholding STATE minimum wage laws expanded the role of the federal legislative branch?? To me, that is a 10th amendment thing that should've been a no-brainer. The real expansion, in my opinion, came with with Wickard V. Filburn (Wickard v. Filburn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). This is what effectively trashed the 10th amendment and let the fed's regulate ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they want.

What would it be?

why would I pass such a law? As long as they are regulated, monopolies aren't inherently evil.

Forum List

Back