You can pass one law to limit monopolies...

This is, mostly, for all the people who are worried about monopolies and oligarchies but anyone that thinks they have an answer can weigh in.

I am actually lifting this question from another source that I will give in my next post. The reason I am doing it that way is to give everyone to actually think about the question as it stands instead of seeing it as an attack on their position.

Anyway, you can pass one law to limit the market size of companies, what would it be. There is actually a really simple answer, so I am not looking tor a omnibus bill that will remake the entire economy, just a simple law to restrict the power of companies to monopolize a market.

What would it be?

why would I pass such a law? As long as they are regulated, monopolies aren't inherently evil.

That explains why everyone loves the DMV.

This is, mostly, for all the people who are worried about monopolies and oligarchies but anyone that thinks they have an answer can weigh in.

I am actually lifting this question from another source that I will give in my next post. The reason I am doing it that way is to give everyone to actually think about the question as it stands instead of seeing it as an attack on their position.

Anyway, you can pass one law to limit the market size of companies, what would it be. There is actually a really simple answer, so I am not looking tor a omnibus bill that will remake the entire economy, just a simple law to restrict the power of companies to monopolize a market.

What would it be?

why would I pass such a law? As long as they are regulated, monopolies aren't inherently evil.

Very few, if any, government agencies are very well regulated lol

The source of the question, and the simple answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdLBzfFGFQU

That might work on some college student. Free trade is as idealistic as communism.

Uncle Milty beat the drum that monopolies were created by governments for a very long time, but ultimately it was a specious argument. Free trade has also not panned out according to his predictions either. So what do you get when you combine two bad mistakes? Citizens United of course. Beat the free trade drum, ignore anti-trust laws, and cut government regulation of things like monopolies and soon they have enough economic power to capture political power, which is then used to create more monopoly power. Everybody is happy except the 99.8% of the population that gets screwed, but who cares about them?

The short answer is enforce the Sherman Anti-trust Act of 1890.

Very few, if any, government agencies are very well regulated lol

On the contrary, the regulations are both extensive and specific. That is why there is a problem.

Too true, I should have said well managed. And any business that is not well managed will fail. Be it public or private, monopoly or not.

The problem is of course that the government doesn't care if an agency fails, they just pour more money into it and keep on trucking.

They never really expanded it to any great degree until this happened. The switch in time that saved nine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see how upholding STATE minimum wage laws expanded the role of the federal legislative branch?? To me, that is a 10th amendment thing that should've been a no-brainer. The real expansion, in my opinion, came with with Wickard V. Filburn (Wickard v. Filburn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). This is what effectively trashed the 10th amendment and let the fed's regulate ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they want.

Because unemployment insurance/social security afforded the congress to venture outside their powers in Article 1 Section 8 of the constitution. It was these two programs in the supreme court that changed the constitution forever.

Forum List

Back