You are going on a wilderness adventure...

I've both read and watched "Into the Wild." McCandless, aka Alexander Supertramp would be the wrong person to get advice on going into any wilderness. He did pack in a .22 rifle, but was too foolish to pack a saw or a hatchet. When he killed a moose, he was too unprepared to harvest the big animal, and most was wasted. He was more of a progressive hobo than a true survivalist. He took over an abandoned bus made into a cheap cabin, but then vandalized two nearby cabins that offended his twisted ideas of nature.

For this thread to have the same relevance, you'd have to be limited to what YOU could pack in under your own strength. Otherwide I'd have everything I needed choppered-in.

That being said, for the same Alaskan wilderness, I'd get a can of bear spray and a lightweight 12 guage pump with a few pounds of birdshot, small game loads and buckshot.

Isn't bear spray a one and done? Use it once and it's gone?

Not what I'd call a long term solution.

I've certainly been pretty hard on McCandless over the years, but I used his situation as an example of the circumstance I'm refering to...long term survival without resupply in a predator rich environment.

A pump action shotgun would be a good choice, and likely as close as we're going to get to a one gun solution, but 12 gauge ammunition is both bulky and heavy...not especially conducive to long term survival without resupply.

IMO, the ideal one gun solution for this situation does not exist, or if it does, it is so esoteric and expensive, the average outdoorsman couldn't afford it.

I'm not sure if the can is resuable---I'd assume it is---like hairspray. From what little I've heard, there have been no bear attacks on anyone who's sprayed them. Bears are not like the predators in the hood. Bears don't give hopped-up on PCP to give them super strength and ignore pain.

Bear's have attacked pleanty of humans even after being shot multiple times. Guess the bears' noses are more sensitive than their ears or torso.

I certainly would ditch your 9 shot .22 for this mission.:razz:

:lol:

Although, I definitely think a .22LR pistol has a place in a two gun solution.

Not my snub-nosed revolver, but something like a Single-Six with a 6.5 to 9.5 inch barrel.

In conjunction with something like a Remington 870 shotgun or Mossberg 500 , you'd have an ideal two gun combination.

I checked it out to refresh my memory.

Bear spray is one and done.

Most spray 8 ounces of 2% capsaicin for 7 seconds at 70 mph up to 35 feet.

BUT, once the seal is broken, the nitrogen propellent leaks out even if the contents have not been completely expelled.

Anybody who wants to pattern their life on a Sean Penn docudrama about a hippie who fails at self sufficiency and finally is reduced to eating plants and roots that he knows nothing about and freaking dies, needs to reorientate his fantasy world

Anybody who wants to pattern their life on a Sean Penn docudrama about a hippie who fails at self sufficiency and finally is reduced to eating plants and roots that he knows nothing about and freaking dies, needs to reorientate his fantasy world

I would agree.

But I do wonder what in this thread led you to believe anyone was interested in patterning their life after a Sean Penn docudrama?

The scenario is all that is being patterned.

Long term survival without resupply in Alaska.

I still don't think we have a viable one firearm solution...so let's change the question.

How about the best long gun sidearm two firearm solution?

I still don't think we have a viable one firearm solution...so let's change the question.

I guess your biggest decision then would be,do you want to carry a small caliber long barreled pistol and hunt small game with it. Or do you carry a 44 mag for a last line of defense against large predators.
I find myself wanting to go with the hand cannon,but I think the wise choice would be the small caliber pistol and maybe a 30-06 in semi auto for big game and protection.

I guess your biggest decision then would be,do you want to carry a small caliber long barreled pistol and hunt small game with it. Or do you carry a 44 mag for a last line of defense against large predators.
I find myself wanting to go with the hand cannon,but I think the wise choice would be the small caliber pistol and maybe a 30-06 in semi auto for big game and protection.

I think I would go with the combination 20g/.22 or .410/.22 Savage 42 with the hand cannon .44 magnum.

Last edited:

I think I would go with the combination 20g/.22 or .410/.22 Savage 42 with the hand cannon .44 magnum.

I like the idea of being able to hit large game and predators from a distance.
And with the semi auto you'll have multiple chances.
The problem with the hand cannon is it really only has one use,defense against predators.
And you'd like to think that wouldnt happen on a regular basis.
As comforting as it would be to have one,I dont see it as practical.

The problem with the hand cannon is it really only has one use,defense against predators.

Lots of folks hunt deer with 44 pistols.

You would give up long range shots, but with the .22 and .410 or 20 gauge, you gain birds, small game and even fish...and a lot more ammo you could carry, especially .410 and .22LR.

Lots of folks hunt deer with 44 pistols.

You would give up long range shots, but with the .22 and .410 or 20 gauge, you gain birds, small game and even fish...and a lot more ammo you could carry, especially .410 and .22LR.

While people do hunt deer with a .44 they do it it for sport. A rifle has a much higher kill percentage then a pistol. And a greater range.
As far as weight of ammo goes it's pretty close to a wash. A 30.06 rnd is about the same size as a 4.10 shell.
But the 30.06 has the ability to bring down large game. So pound for pound the 30.06 will give you more calories per rnd.
Assuming it's winter or you have your shit together when it comes to curing.

Another factor I would want to weigh is are there fish available?
Drop lines off tree limbs can produce a shitload of food.

Been working on this, and I think I have the best two gun solution available.

USSG (Baikal) MP94 .223 rifle/12 gauge combo (Bud's Gun Shop $590) with a 20 gauge adapter (Shotgunadapter.com $22), plus a 22LR and 22WMR adapter (MCA $28 each) and if you really want to go all out, an 18 inch 12 ga. to 30/30 Win. insert (MCA $150).

One gun.

Small game: 22LR, 22WMR, 20ga.
Medium game: 22WMR, .223 Rem, 20ga., 12ga.
Large game: .223 Rem, 12ga., 30/30 Win.

Been working on this, and I think I have the best two gun solution available.

USSG (Baikal) MP94 .223 rifle/12 gauge combo (Bud's Gun Shop $590) with a 20 gauge adapter (Shotgunadapter.com $22), plus a 22LR and 22WMR adapter (MCA $28 each) and if you really want to go all out, an 18 inch 12 ga. to 30/30 Win. insert (MCA $150).

One gun.

Small game: 22LR, 22WMR, 20ga.
Medium game: 22WMR, .223 Rem, 20ga., 12ga.
Large game: .223 Rem, 12ga., 30/30 Win.

That does sound like the ideal solution.
Only problem would be the weight of the shotgun shells. It would be nice in a 410ga. since you can bring down most birds with it. When you compare a box of 12 or 20ga. shells to a box of 410ga. the weight difference is considerable as is the space they take up.
If it were me,I would try and avoid trying to survive on birds. They just dont have the calories compared to the weight of the shells.
And if you ran into some turkeys or other large fowl the 22lr. would drop em just fine as long as you catch em on the ground.

Pretty slick gun for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree...unfortunately the only offering in .410 combo is .22LR and .22WMR.

There is a 12 gauge to .410 adapter, but my understanding is the tiny shot-string inside that huge barrel causes a multitude of shot collision and deformations, resulting in a useless multi-voided pattern.

I think I'd have to leave the shotgun out of the picture altogether.
A combo 22./.270 or maybe a 22./30-06.

But I'd still like a 44. mag on my hip for a last line of defense. Having only one shot with that 30-06 while being scared shitless when a bear is coming at me.....? No thanks.:eek:

But I'd still like a 44. mag on my hip for a last line of defense. Having only one shot with that 30-06 while being scared shitless when a bear is coming at me.....? No thanks.:eek:

Check this out...a modular combo with repeating rifle fire capability.

Hybrid

Only $6500.

Last edited:

Hybrid

Only $6500.

The furniture on that thing is amazing!!
I've got one rifle that comes close to that price....the wife told me I couldnt have another.:( :lol:

Much depends on how much you will being moving, hiking, climbing, etc. Climate and weather has got to be considered also. If everything you have is carried on your back, weight is a big deal and there are big limits on what you can haul.
My ammo choice for eastern woodlands and mountains was always the 22 LR or MAG. For out west and the Rockies, .357/38 revolver. Some bird shot for both. Only time I felt a little uncomfortable was in Grizz country. Wished I had a .44 mag. but never had any close encounters.

I was reading this thread (http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...e-stupid-but-can-we-make-them-pay-for-it.html)...that referenced the book "Into the Wild", in which the story culminates with Chris McCandless' adventure, unprepared, into Alaska's last frontier...it got me to speculating about, if I could only take one, what firearm would I take on an extended solo wilderness adventure.

So I ask you, if you could only take one gun into the wilds of the backwoods, what would it be?

First off, I would reject the premise that I only get to carry one gun. I agree with the poster who talked about the Ruger 10/22. That would be an excellent survival rifle. I would also pack my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Rem. Magnum. One rifle & one sidearm seem to be a minimum for extended camping in Alaska.

If the one gun rule were written in stone, I would take a Thompson Center Encore, with a pistol bbl in .44, .454 Casull or 45-70 Govt, a rifle bbl in one of the good 30 calibers (.308, .30-06, or .300Win Mag), and a 20 ga shotgun bbl. I might add a .243 or 25-06 for distance shots on smaller game.

The idea of one gun with multiple barrels seems to be simply sidestepping the one gun rule.

It would be bulkier and heavier than one rifle and a sidearm.

Hybrid

Only $6500.

now lets see if that is still legal in the communist state of NY. I'll have to check with Albany, I mean mosco on the Hudson.

Forum List

Back