You are going on a wilderness adventure...

Today I found myself in Lexington, KY with some time to kill, so I stopped at Bud's Gun Shops retail location to look around and found a Chiappa folding 22lr over '410 fixed full choke combo.

5.5 lbs, 19 inches folded.

2381063_01_just_in_double_badgers_over_un_640.jpg

Have that as the second gun...with whatever long range large game repeater as the primary.

Plus, at $300 out the door, my wife probably won't beat me to death with it...probably...

I love odd guns. I just cant bring myself to spend money on em.

I couldn't spend the $400 on that plastic Savage model 42...but this I could abide.

I'll be interested to see how the .410 bore patterns, and if the barrels are properly indexed.

Finally got to the range...love this gun.

Both barrels are properly indexed and extremely accurate.

I'll write up a full review in the morning.

I love odd guns. I just cant bring myself to spend money on em.

I couldn't spend the $400 on that plastic Savage model 42...but this I could abide.

I'll be interested to see how the .410 bore patterns, and if the barrels are properly indexed.

I finally found out what a "handy rifle" was, I looked it up. They look like they'd be handy.

O9A requires one to survive alone in the wild for three months away from civilization and I didn't even need or take a firearm.

O9A requires one to survive alone in the wild for three months away from civilization and I didn't even need or take a firearm.

The topic was to go into the Alaskan wilderness. And perhaps you would be able to survive there without a firearm. The natives did.

But I prefer some method of assuring I do not end up as a bear's breakfast.

The topic was to go into the Alaskan wilderness. And perhaps you would be able to survive there without a firearm. The natives did.

I'm not saying she's a liar but......she's full of shit.
Next she'll tell us she used Jedi mind tricks to fool rabbits into jumping into the cook pot.

Next she'll tell us she used Jedi mind tricks to fool rabbits into jumping into the cook pot.

"You don't want to sell me death sticks...you want to go home and rethink your life."

I finally found out what a "handy rifle" was, I looked it up. They look like they'd be handy.

I'm addicted to them. They are really fun to shoot and tinker with.

Then I guess it fills that niche for you.:lol:
Most of my hunting was done on my own property.(Sold that place for a nice profit and we're in the market for a new place) So I really never stressed if I wasn't successful because there's always the next day.
So carrying a multi purpose gun was never really a concern for me.
Hell,easily half the deer I shot were from my back porch.:lol:

That would be ideal, but unfortunately we moved 70 miles from my huntin' land...so I mostly hunt public land.

We moved out here three or four years ago, so on many occasions I find myself in strange woods.

Then I would have to say that your choice in firearms is a wise one.
I would do the exact same thing if I were in your position. You gotta make those trips count in anyway possible. Because nothing taste better then fresh game you put on the table through your own efforts. Be it squirrel,rabbit or any other critter that flies our walks.

Cobbled together a carrier out of a scabbard, a rifle sling, some sunglass cases and a 12 gauge belt shotshell carrier...plus a store bought first aid kit.

aa93c0d4-0d40-4219-97e5-71d42f45e0ec_zpsc5b85d26.jpg

Holds my ammo, map, compass, signal mirror, first-aid supplies, solar blanket, matches, firetabs, and a little extra food.

That would be ideal, but unfortunately we moved 70 miles from my huntin' land...so I mostly hunt public land.

We moved out here three or four years ago, so on many occasions I find myself in strange woods.

I would do the exact same thing if I were in your position. You gotta make those trips count in anyway possible. Because nothing taste better then fresh game you put on the table through your own efforts. Be it squirrel,rabbit or any other critter that flies our walks.

Cobbled together a carrier out of a scabbard, a rifle sling, some sunglass cases and a 12 gauge belt shotshell carrier...plus a store bought first aid kit.

Holds my ammo, map, compass, signal mirror, first-aid supplies, solar blanket, matches, firetabs, and a little extra food.

Thats a cool set up!

I'm looking at a chest rig to set up something similar.

Last edited:

"You don't want to sell me death sticks...you want to go home and rethink your life."

In English please.

Thats a cool set up!

You'll have to post a pic when you get it done. :thup:

Squirrel season opens Saturday. :woohoo:

Going to get to try it out in the field. I'll slip the 30/30 in there and carry the Badger, in case I run across a wild boar while I'm out and about.

BTW...ever eaten crow...literally, not figuratively?

Found this website...http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm...thinking about giving it a try this winter.

Last edited:

Thats a cool set up!

You'll have to post a pic when you get it done. :thup:

Squirrel season opens Saturday. :woohoo:

Going to get to try it out in the field. I'll slip the 30/30 in there and carry the Badger, in case I run across a wild boar while I'm out and about.

BTW...ever eaten crow...literally, not figuratively?

Found this website...http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm...thinking about giving it a try this winter.

That sounds interesting.Those breast nuggets look pretty good! Some friends of mine rent a couple of cabins on Cold Pass every year(Galveston Bay system west side)and they caught a crap load of 4 and 5 pound Gafftop. Most dont eat em but they filleted em up and removed the red meat and deep fried em. Said they were damn good after soaking. These things are slimy as hell!! As one guy so poetically put it: It looks like an elephant jacked off into my ice chest.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gaf...2BcetyAS33YKYCA&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1397&bih=696

I'm waiting on High Speed Gear, Inc. ® | Battle Proven Nylon Tactical Gear to get back with me on a drop leg holster for the new FNX-45. They make some great stuff from what I've heard,and will customize stuff for you if need be.
If all goes well with them I'll pick up one of these.Double Decker Value Combo
They have different pouches and you can remove or add different pouches and mag carriers to customize your load out.

:lol: Your friend has a way with words I'll tell ya...bet he gets ALL the ladies that way.

Going to have to give those Gafftops a try sometime...I've never been saltwater fishing, but I do end up by the docks on the Gulf pretty regularly. We eat a good bit of gar, which is also not much sought after, but delicious when properly prepared.

That Double Decker Combo is sweee-eet! Not a bad price either, for what you are getting. :thup:

:lol: Your friend has a way with words I'll tell ya...bet he gets ALL the ladies that way.

Going to have to give those Gafftops a try sometime...I've never been saltwater fishing, but I do end up by the docks on the Gulf pretty regularly. We eat a good bit of gar, which is also not much sought after, but delicious when properly prepared.

That Double Decker Combo is sweee-eet! Not a bad price either, for what you are getting. :thup:

You being in Missouri and all I figure you've tried Paddlefish. Thats some good eating right there! First time I tried it was in Excelsior Springs Mo. while visiting my uncle.
They use to be common in Texas but they got fished out. Thankfully they are making a come back.

You being in Missouri and all I figure you've tried Paddlefish. Thats some good eating right there! First time I tried it was in Excelsior Springs Mo. while visiting my uncle.
They use to be common in Texas but they got fished out. Thankfully they are making a come back.

Makes me want to go snaggin' , but unfortunately we are between seasons...no snaggin' 'til September. :frown:

I finally picked up a Rossi matched pair pistol. It shoots 45 Long Colt, 410 bore shotshells/slugs and 22 Long Rifle.

With this and a 12 gauge pump with screw in chokes, IMO you would have all the hunting and protection you would need, and you could conceivably hunt anything in North America.

Taking the Rossi to the range tomorrow, i'll write up a review in the next week or so.

Makes me want to go snaggin' , but unfortunately we are between seasons...no snaggin' 'til September. :frown:
Go down to NW Arkansas

I finally picked up a Rossi matched pair pistol. It shoots 45 Long Colt, 410 bore shotshells/slugs and 22 Long Rifle.

With this and a 12 gauge pump with screw in chokes, IMO you would have all the hunting and protection you would need, and you could conceivably hunt anything in North America.

Taking the Rossi to the range tomorrow, i'll write up a review in the next week or so.

Congrats!!
Let us know how it does.

Forum List

Back