You are going on a wilderness adventure...

I was reading this thread (http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...e-stupid-but-can-we-make-them-pay-for-it.html)...that referenced the book "Into the Wild", in which the story culminates with Chris McCandless' adventure, unprepared, into Alaska's last frontier...it got me to speculating about, if I could only take one, what firearm would I take on an extended solo wilderness adventure.

So I ask you, if you could only take one gun into the wilds of the backwoods, what would it be?

I'm a little late to the party but I like these types of questions and dilemmas.

I guess it would depend on the terrain and the type of wild game available in the area. It would also depend on whether or not I had pack animals or if I would be hoofing it on my own.

First of all, I would probably focus my attention on smaller game as I would have to find a way to store all the extra meat that comes from deer or elk or other larger game animals. Small animals could be eaten in one sitting. So my focus would likely be on a smaller caliber which would serve two purposes: 1) Enough killing power for small game and 2) lighter ammo. However, I would still want something big enough to kill large predators if that became necessary.

I actually like the idea of taking a 12GA shotgun with plenty of slugs, buckshot, and birdshot. That would give me the option of going after multiple game mammals and birds. But the ammo is so heavy and bulky that I'm not sure it would be practical (unless I had a pack mule). I also love my AR15 (my favorite rifle) but am not sure if that would be the best choice when it came to shooting really small game like rabbits or squirrels. So I'm kind of leaning towards a .22 Magnum rifle. It's a little light for my tastes but it may be the most practical round in this situation. I don't own one and have never shot one so I'm "shooting in the dark," so to speak.

Even without a pack mule, you could take a dog and have it carry some of the weight.

As for the .22 Magnum, Ruger makes both a lever action and a bolt action in that caliber. Both are pretty rugged and use the rotary magazine that seems to function regardless of abuse.

I was reading this thread (http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...e-stupid-but-can-we-make-them-pay-for-it.html)...that referenced the book "Into the Wild", in which the story culminates with Chris McCandless' adventure, unprepared, into Alaska's last frontier...it got me to speculating about, if I could only take one, what firearm would I take on an extended solo wilderness adventure.

So I ask you, if you could only take one gun into the wilds of the backwoods, what would it be?

I have spent some time thinking about this, and I have to wonder if my Thompson Center blackpowder shotgun wouldn't be a good choice. For the uninitiated, the T/C had only one barrel but was as easy to hit with as any modern shotgun. A couple pounds of powder and shot would last quite some time without the bulk of cartridges. I have hunted with it and it is no more inconvenient than any other single shot. Plus, you can customize your loads in the field.

Last edited:

I have spent some time thinking about this, and I have to wonder if my Thompson Center blackpowder shotgun wouldn't be a good choice. For the uninitiated, the T/C had only one barrel but was as easy to hit with as any modern shotgun. A couple pounds of powder and shot would last quite some time without the bulk of cartridges. I have hunted with it and it is no more inconvenient than any other single shot. Plus, you can customize your loads in the field.

In most places, I think your choice would be an excellent one. I would make sure and pack the powder in several containers, to insure your supply was never contaminated, thereby leaving you without a firearm.

But in Alaska the threat of large bears is very real. I'm not sure I've got the balls to face a grizzly with a single round of a black powder 12 gauge.

In most places, I think your choice would be an excellent one. I would make sure and pack the powder in several containers, to insure your supply was never contaminated, thereby leaving you without a firearm.

But in Alaska the threat of large bears is very real. I'm not sure I've got the balls to face a grizzly with a single round of a black powder 12 gauge.

I sure as hell don't want a grizzly close enough to me that I can kill it with one shot from a 12 gauge loaded with bird shot.

I sure as hell don't want a grizzly close enough to me that I can kill it with one shot from a 12 gauge loaded with bird shot.

You'd load it with a single ball or very large shot. Or avoid the bear altogether.

I sure as hell want more than one shot!

You'd load it with a single ball or very large shot. Or avoid the bear altogether.

Avoiding the bear would be a good plan. The question is, will the bear cooperate with my plan?

I sure as hell want more than one shot!

True dat.

Avoiding the bear would be a good plan. The question is, will the bear cooperate with my plan?

From everything I have heard about bears, not getting between them and the food is the key.

A sane man would avoid grizzlies to begin with, but if I'm going into an area where I may run into one, I sure as hell don't want a single shot weapon.

From everything I have heard about bears, not getting between them and the food is the key.

If you are able to do that (and stay away from their cubs) it would be great.

However, in the brush it is all to easy to accidentally end up in a bad spot. This is why my selection included a big bore revolver. I would be more prone to carry it when doing almost anything, and it would be available in a moment.

Bird shot will probably just make him mad. Really mad. Gotta have slugs.

And their cubs. And I disagree, I think they actually get in bad moods. Then, here you come, and they take it out on you. They may be angry about something else, but you're just handy, know what I mean. Moose certainly do that, and I'm sure a bear would also.

You also don't know you've gotten yourself between them and the cubs (or that food cache they're guarding). You're walking through the woods and you see a cute little bear cub or two. And it's...OH SHIT!!!!!! 'Cause where's the damn mama!

No, bears are nothing to mess with. Assuming they won't mess with you is kind of stupid. I would never walk in the woods without something big enough to protect me against bears.

Now, I've lived in Alaska all my life, grew up in rural Alaska. I see newcomers up here (Cheechakos) going out hiking without an appropriate gun, and I'm like...whatever, go for it. Better you than me.

I carry bear spray while walking my dogs around in the middle of the city of Anchorage...for protection against moose. Our sacred cows that wander around the city and can be very dangerous.

But for bear...I'm going to want more than just bear spray.

Last edited:

I'm a little late to the party but I like these types of questions and dilemmas.

I guess it would depend on the terrain and the type of wild game available in the area. It would also depend on whether or not I had pack animals or if I would be hoofing it on my own.

First of all, I would probably focus my attention on smaller game as I would have to find a way to store all the extra meat that comes from deer or elk or other larger game animals. Small animals could be eaten in one sitting. So my focus would likely be on a smaller caliber which would serve two purposes: 1) Enough killing power for small game and 2) lighter ammo. However, I would still want something big enough to kill large predators if that became necessary.

I actually like the idea of taking a 12GA shotgun with plenty of slugs, buckshot, and birdshot. That would give me the option of going after multiple game mammals and birds. But the ammo is so heavy and bulky that I'm not sure it would be practical (unless I had a pack mule). I also love my AR15 (my favorite rifle) but am not sure if that would be the best choice when it came to shooting really small game like rabbits or squirrels. So I'm kind of leaning towards a .22 Magnum rifle. It's a little light for my tastes but it may be the most practical round in this situation. I don't own one and have never shot one so I'm "shooting in the dark," so to speak.

Even without a pack mule, you could take a dog and have it carry some of the weight.

As for the .22 Magnum, Ruger makes both a lever action and a bolt action in that caliber. Both are pretty rugged and use the rotary magazine that seems to function regardless of abuse.

Thanks. My biggest worry would be my concern over whether or not a small caliber like that could stop large predators. But it would really depend on where I was going. There are some wilderness areas that don't really have large predators.

Protection vs survival. It's easy in the lower 48. Kill chipmunks for food with a 10/22. You can carry a lot of .22s but you can't stop a grizzly with anything less than a .44 mag.

Protection vs survival. It's easy in the lower 48. Kill chipmunks for food with a 10/22. You can carry a lot of .22s but you can't stop a grizzly with anything less than a .44 mag.

When I first saw this thread my first thought was the wilderness in my area of the country -- the Rocky Mountains. I live at the base of the mountains but not 30 minutes from me is an area known for its cougars. Then another 30 minutes up the highway is an area known for its black bears. No grizzlies in the area. They're much farther north.

So if I had to go into my wilderness area I would likely want a 12GA with 3" rounds. Plenty of slugs, buck shot, and large bird shot for the geese that can be seen migrating back and forth.

Thanks. My biggest worry would be my concern over whether or not a small caliber like that could stop large predators. But it would really depend on where I was going. There are some wilderness areas that don't really have large predators.

I think most people in this conversation have accepted that there would be more than one firearm. It is up to you to determine what you can pack in.

I think a .22LR or .22Magnum would be an excellent small rifle to put food on the table. And a large bore revolver on your belt would mean you have some protection from predators.

One option to make packing in easier, is to have a rifle & sidearm in the same caliber. A revolver and lever action rifle, both in .44Mag would make packing lighter and simpler.

Forum List

Back