Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

How is it not a level playing field? Rent goes up, everything is going up. You own property you should be able to rent it for whatever the hell you want to. If nobody rents it, it's too high. It's called a free market. Quit trying to regulate everything. This is free fucking country. Leave me the fuck alone.
The keyword of your post is "ME" That says it all.

So it is OK to have government forcibly limit someone's income (landlord's), but your income (OP) is untouchable. Got it.

I have a really hard time sympathizing. Comment after comment you rail about liberals and regulations and yet you want rent control to help YOU.
You wouldn't have a hard time if you looked at the scenario, thoughtfully. Some scenarios require some regulation ; others are overregulated. And some are underregulated. This just happens to be one of those.

And the thread isn't about sympathy. It's about propriety. :biggrin:

So you think, because you cannot afford the rent, that the gov't needs to restrict what a person is allowed to charge for use of THEIR property? That is the definition of impropriety.

Rental properties are there to make a profit, not to provide you with shelter for less money.

what do you expect when a brain surgeon who turned down the position to be sec of HHS because it was 'too complicated' (ironically though he ran for potus) then accepts the position of sec of HUD? what qualifications did he possess to be considered for such a position? cause he had the right 'look'?

trump has installed the most incompetent individuals to head every dept in order to destroy them. betsy devos for ed sec? scott pruitt & now his replacement for sec of EPA?

what did you expect was gonna happen?

And the new Medicaid Secretary sought to end Medicaid in her state of Maine.

Well thanks to Commie Care, I no longer have health insurance. But my HUD neighbors living in the suburbs next to me are likely covered by Medicaid. While I get up early every morning and go to work, their cars stay in their parking lot until about 1:00 pm.

I don't care about people on Medicaid because working people should be attended to first--not the not working or low income people. I contribute much more to society than they do, yet they get free medical care and I don't.

That's liberalism for ya.

that's why universal healthcare is the way to go.

No, that's why government should stay out of the private market. That's the way to go.

certain things should not be privatized.

I have a really hard time sympathizing. Comment after comment you rail about liberals and regulations and yet you want rent control to help YOU.
You wouldn't have a hard time if you looked at the scenario, thoughtfully. Some scenarios require some regulation ; others are overregulated. And some are underregulated. This just happens to be one of those.

And the thread isn't about sympathy. It's about propriety. :biggrin:

VA hospital in Biloxi, Ms and some reasonable housing rentals.

https://www.zillow.com/biloxi-ms/rent-houses/

Gulfport right next door check it out too.

How is it not a level playing field? Rent goes up, everything is going up. You own property you should be able to rent it for whatever the hell you want to. If nobody rents it, it's too high. It's called a free market. Quit trying to regulate everything. This is free fucking country. Leave me the fuck alone.
The keyword of your post is "ME" That says it all.

Since the "ME" involved in that statement is the owner of the property, it is not a problem.

When government artificially controls things like wages, and prices BAD things happen. Let the market work. Move to a less expensive apartment.
You wanna pay my moving costs ?

Sure, I'll let the market work. But not in every case. Not where hundreds of people's lives are being damaged.

Not where it effects you. If it effects others, who cares?

Yep, why even own property? With things like rent control It’s no longer your property when the government tells you what to do with every aspect of your life.
Government tells you not to murder. Not to steal. Not to commit arson. Not to rape. You want to do anything you want ? Find a deserted island.

Of course. It effects you. So we just regulate.

The problem that you assholes have is that you don't have empathy for others. Nor do you understand that regulations on capitalism have helped you indirectly for your entire fucking selfish lives.
Your problem is you look at a few bad conservatives and then decide all are like that. And then look at you look at a few good liberals and then think all of them are like that.

When you want to do a thread on empathy, let me know, and I'll join in and we can talk about your feelings toward the millions of low wage (mostly minorities) American workers having their jobs taken away by illegal aliens. And the thousands of family members of Americans killed by illegal aliens, whom your liberal pals protect in sanctuary cities.

And you tell us about how much "empathy" you have for business owners deprived of hundreds of Billions$$ in sales, because of immigrants' remittances. I could go on, but this will be enough.

You are certainly a bad "conservative". Nobody here questions that. Now...try to post some facts.

what do you expect when a brain surgeon who turned down the position to be sec of HHS because it was 'too complicated' (ironically though he ran for potus) then accepts the position of sec of HUD? what qualifications did he possess to be considered for such a position? cause he had the right 'look'?

trump has installed the most incompetent individuals to head every dept in order to destroy them. betsy devos for ed sec? scott pruitt & now his replacement for sec of EPA?

what did you expect was gonna happen?

Well thanks to Commie Care, I no longer have health insurance. But my HUD neighbors living in the suburbs next to me are likely covered by Medicaid. While I get up early every morning and go to work, their cars stay in their parking lot until about 1:00 pm.

I don't care about people on Medicaid because working people should be attended to first--not the not working or low income people. I contribute much more to society than they do, yet they get free medical care and I don't.

No, that's why government should stay out of the private market. That's the way to go.

"Only a fool would expect the entity that created the problem to find a solution to it."
Author unknown.

Could it possibly be the prior owner sold due to not being able to afford it any longer, due to his low rent policy? You want to scream, research what the local govt was doing with taxes, regulations, etc, what was the maintenance and insurance running on the place, then come back to us. If it is not the case, then we can talk.
All I have to do is look at other apartment complexes on this street, and a few other streets. NONE of them are raising rents 60%. None are charging what these gougers are. There's all the research I need.

Yep, why even own property? With things like rent control It’s no longer your property when the government tells you what to do with every aspect of your life.
Government tells you not to murder. Not to steal. Not to commit arson. Not to rape. You want to do anything you want ? Find a deserted island.

The person who is raped has no choice. The victim of the theft has no choice. The victims of arson and murder have no choice. You have a choice to rent somewhere else.

The examples you gave are active attacks on another person. Charging rent is providing shelter for a price. The person who wants to live in someone else's property does not get to set the price.

Could it possibly be the prior owner sold due to not being able to afford it any longer, due to his low rent policy? You want to scream, research what the local govt was doing with taxes, regulations, etc, what was the maintenance and insurance running on the place, then come back to us. If it is not the case, then we can talk.
All I have to do is look at other apartment complexes on this street, and a few other streets. NONE of them are raising rents 60%. None are charging what these gougers are. There's all the research I need.

Then move into one of the other apartment complexes on that street.

You say the building recently changed owners. Do you know what the new owners paid for the building? Maybe the selling price was based on market rents, and not the actual revenue of the building. If that is the case, maybe the new owner has to raise the rents in order to pay the mortgage. What are other comparable buildings in the same area charging for comparable rental units?

Regardless, the rents will shortly stabilize at rates that are consistent with market conditions. If "nobody" is willing to pay the new, higher rent rates, then the building will go empty, right? But the landlord will necessarily make an adjustment to fill up the building.

A renter has no vested interest beyond the term of his lease. This unfortunate fact of life drives people to take extraordinary measures to buy a residence (condo, house, RV, whatever), so that they can complain about increases in taxes, rather than rents.
Other comparable buildings in the same area are charging,
for comparable rental units, what our rents have been before the new owners came in,​

If the new owner had to raise rents 60% to pay the mortgage, then he shouldn't have paid that high a mortgage. I'm getting very uncomfortable with how many posters here are talking about landlords and mortgages, and not a word about people and their lives.

Last edited:

"Only a fool would expect the entity that created the problem to find a solution to it."
Author unknown.

“Give people what they need: food, medicine, clean air, pure water, trees and grass, pleasant [enough] homes to live in, some hours of work, more hours of leisure. Don't ask who deserves it. Every human being deserves it.”
― Howard Zinn

You say the building recently changed owners. Do you know what the new owners paid for the building? Maybe the selling price was based on market rents, and not the actual revenue of the building. If that is the case, maybe the new owner has to raise the rents in order to pay the mortgage. What are other comparable buildings in the same area charging for comparable rental units?

Regardless, the rents will shortly stabilize at rates that are consistent with market conditions. If "nobody" is willing to pay the new, higher rent rates, then the building will go empty, right? But the landlord will necessarily make an adjustment to fill up the building.

A renter has no vested interest beyond the term of his lease. This unfortunate fact of life drives people to take extraordinary measures to buy a residence (condo, house, RV, whatever), so that they can complain about increases in taxes, rather than rents.
Other comparable buildings in the same area are charging what our rents have been before the new owners came in, for comparable rental units.

If the new owner had to raise rents 60% to pay the mortgage, then he shouldn't have paid that high a mortgage. I'm getting very uncomfortable with how many posters here are talking about landlords and mortgages, and not a word about people and their lives.

Then move to one of the complexes.

I'm sorry you are not comfortable with people believing that your poor financial planning does not override the right of a property owner to do what he wants with HIS property.

Other comparable buildings in the same area are charging,
for comparable rental units, w
hat our rents have been before the new owners came in,

Yeah. Sort of feels like "shoot them on sight!"

I'm getting very uncomfortable with how many posters here are talking about landlords and mortgages, and not a word about people and their lives.

Landlords are PEOPLE also, and have lives. Many are just small time owners trying to scrape by, and build a future nest egg for retirement. The big corps that own some of the larger apartment complexes are owned by individual stock holders. Some are wealthy, some aren't. They are people with lives also.

Author unknown.

“Give people what they need: food, medicine, clean air, pure water, trees and grass, pleasant [enough] homes to live in, some hours of work, more hours of leisure. Don't ask who deserves it. Every human being deserves it.”
― Howard Zinn

I don't know who Howard Zinn is, but if he really believes that, he needs to move to Cuba or a similar place.

Forum List

Back