yall need to get ready....for the deep freeze

Not only a potentially lifesaving tool, but mine is a very beautiful addition to my decor.

iu
Enviro wackos want to ban wood-burning stoves

And biden is just stupid enough to do it if he can

Solar recharging for the Cozee portable electric blanket doesn't require the grid. That's why it's going to be used in an electric enclosed tricycle.
Your tricycle is enclosed with electricity? Weird

Only if you have electric heat. I have a propane heat and hot water system.

I have 2 500 gallon propane tanks and if power goes out I have a back up generator. My heat has never been rendered nonoperational.
That's one way to skin the cat. For some a wood stove is more affordable...

This is funny to me, because the days here have been in the 50s, which is freezing to me. (West coast.) Actually we have some days in the 60s, so it's not too bad, just gotta wear an extra layer when going outside. :tongue:

This is funny to me, because the days here have been in the 50s, which is freezing to me. (West coast.) Actually we have some days in the 60s, so it's not too bad, just gotta wear an extra layer when going outside. :tongue:
I'm wearing my leather jacket...66 f on the porch. Anything under 70 is a cold day and over 77 is smokin' hot

its coming....20 degrees for a few days ...way into the far south and texas...get ready...bring your pets in and shore up your place...get that shrinkable plastic and cover your windows...get the family in one room....blankets and warm clothes are the key...be careful of running the water to keep it from freezing...if it freezes under the sink...it will flood your kitchen...check your pipes...dont shovel snow...let it be..it will melt..dont drive if you dont have too and if you drive make sure you got stuff in car in case you get stalled..i put a blanket with nabs and water in car...also those chemical hand warmers...be aware of carbon poisoning in house and in car...dont do stupid stuff like trying the stove on high and leaving it for heat...at night..socks and hats..wear them...dont drink in excess....dont linger in wet clothes ...if you have wool now is the time to break it out

snuggle and cuddle...
It's not a deep freeze, it is global warming, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I mean Climate Change.

It's kinda funny to read the posts about some of the people on here freaking out about cold.

I grew up in northern Montana, and am used to snow, freezing rain, cold temps and all that stuff, as well as know how to effectively deal with it.

For the house? If you have a wood stove (did growing up, and there is one in the house I live in now), use it. We make sure every summer and fall to get enough wood to make it through the winter, and we always plan like it's gonna be cold for at least 4 months. As far as pipes? Find the faucet farthest away from where the water comes into the house, and leave it at a small trickle. Won't impact the water bill much and will keep the pipes from freezing. If you think you might need it, leave a couple of faucets at a trickle.

When going outside, pace yourself. Working hard enough to sweat is dangerous. Also, remember that wool clothing is your friend. If your skin gets itchy, place a cotton layer between your skin and the wool. Hand warmers (you can buy them anywhere) are also very useful. Placing one over each kidney will keep your blood (and your whole body) fairly warm. Coming back into the house after being outside? Wash your hands in warm water. It will help to get your body temp back up. Or.............if you have the time, a nice warm shower, gradually going up to hot helps a great deal as well. Also, remember to keep skin covered. Even a light wind can generate enough wind chill to get frostbite.

And, remember to eat. Calories are what your body burns to keep itself warm. Starving yourself (or being on a diet) while it's cold is a sure fire way to make yourself shiver.

Y'all are acting like it's gonna get cold. When I was younger, I didn't put on a jacket until it got below 40 deg., and didn't consider it cold until it got in the 20's, and didn't really worry about much until it dropped below 0 F.

It's kinda funny to read the posts about some of the people on here freaking out about cold.

I grew up in northern Montana, and am used to snow, freezing rain, cold temps and all that stuff, as well as know how to effectively deal with it.

For the house? If you have a wood stove (did growing up, and there is one in the house I live in now), use it. We make sure every summer and fall to get enough wood to make it through the winter, and we always plan like it's gonna be cold for at least 4 months. As far as pipes? Find the faucet farthest away from where the water comes into the house, and leave it at a small trickle. Won't impact the water bill much and will keep the pipes from freezing. If you think you might need it, leave a couple of faucets at a trickle.

When going outside, pace yourself. Working hard enough to sweat is dangerous. Also, remember that wool clothing is your friend. If your skin gets itchy, place a cotton layer between your skin and the wool. Hand warmers (you can buy them anywhere) are also very useful. Placing one over each kidney will keep your blood (and your whole body) fairly warm. Coming back into the house after being outside? Wash your hands in warm water. It will help to get your body temp back up. Or.............if you have the time, a nice warm shower, gradually going up to hot helps a great deal as well. Also, remember to keep skin covered. Even a light wind can generate enough wind chill to get frostbite.

And, remember to eat. Calories are what your body burns to keep itself warm. Starving yourself (or being on a diet) while it's cold is a sure fire way to make yourself shiver.

Y'all are acting like it's gonna get cold. When I was younger, I didn't put on a jacket until it got below 40 deg., and didn't consider it cold until it got in the 20's, and didn't really worry about much until it dropped below 0 F.
I grew up in the snow. Great lakes. I've since moved to the South, and it's not so much that the folks can't deal with the cold, and snow on the occasion. It's more of a concern that the infrastructure isn't budgeted to handle it. People don't have snow tires for the once every few years event that we get any appreciable amount of snow. The DOTs don't really have a lot in the way of salt/sand trucks, and plows. Because there is seldom any need. So when it does get unusually cold, and snowy/icy; you're pretty much stuck. Now if you're stuck at home... Most people will be just fine. But if you're caught out..? You can be in some real trouble, really quickly.

This is from just a few years ago off of my back porch. So even here in Central Alabama, which is legendary for its heat; we understand that it DOES get cold. And if it happens while at home? No problem. 50 degrees when when you leave for work, and it looks like this when you leave to go home, and home is 40 miles away..? BIG PROBLEM!
1208171104.jpg

many homes in the deep south and most likely texas and all...are not insulated....people who live in the cold...know that getting yourself in stupid situations...can result in death by freezing...
If you're looking for a really bad movie to watch, it's called "New in Town." One of the few funny scenes shows Renee Zellweger's character dressed for mild weather while in Winnepeg in January.

I’ve seen 24 degree wind chills forecast in Orlando. Y’all best take this shit fo real.
It’s always the south that bitches the most.

The greatest drop in one hour at my home station is 32 degrees and this blast may exceed that

Forum List

Back