yall need to get ready....for the deep freeze

When we had the severe cold two years ago, our power was out for all of it. We were prepared. We had several propane heaters and natural gas as well. The natural gas still worked but we could have gotten by without it.

Central heating has its weak points. Extreme demand on the grid can crash the system. Even with gas a potential storm can disrupt service.
Only if you have electric heat. I have a propane heat and hot water system.

I have 2 500 gallon propane tanks and if power goes out I have a back up generator. My heat has never been rendered nonoperational.

Never heard of a generator?
I have one. Of course you may never have heard of needing fuel for it. If the power is out you can't get it unless you have it stored. We were gonna use ours but my neighbor had life saving medical equipment he needed so I let him use it.

I have one. Of course you may never have heard of needing fuel for it. If the power is out you can't get it unless you have it stored. We were gonna use ours but my neighbor had life saving medical equipment he needed so I let him use it.
You don't need to run it 24 7 in most cases so even 10 gallons of gasoline will go a long way.

I opted for a standby propane generator and have two 500 gallon tanks that provide all the fuel for my heat hot water and electricity during any power outage.

its coming....20 degrees for a few days ...way into the far south and texas...get ready...bring your pets in and shore up your place...get that shrinkable plastic and cover your windows...get the family in one room....blankets and warm clothes are the key...be careful of running the water to keep it from freezing...if it freezes under the sink...it will flood your kitchen...check your pipes...dont shovel snow...let it be..it will melt..dont drive if you dont have too and if you drive make sure you got stuff in car in case you get stalled..i put a blanket with nabs and water in car...also those chemical hand warmers...be aware of carbon poisoning in house and in car...dont do stupid stuff like trying the stove on high and leaving it for heat...at night..socks and hats..wear them...dont drink in excess....dont linger in wet clothes ...if you have wool now is the time to break it out

snuggle and cuddle...

-50 wind chill here Thurs :(

It's 28 here in Maine and going to hit 34f today, which is fairly mild. I heard that arctic weather is gonna hit us later this week.

A couple of tea candles in the glove compartment in the car for emergency is always good.....we keep a bag of them in the trunk, for the just in case...situation! They say just one of those candles burning inside the car, can keep you from freezing to death

Water pipes shouldn't freeze in a day...it would take a couple of days around zero, without any house heat, to freeze up here... Unless your house is not insulated.

We did have problems with the upstairs bathroom sink on an outer wall once....maybe the third day of below zero temps, day and night.... The water stopped coming out....we panicked at first....but then thought to put a 60 watt lightbulb/and lamp next to the wall/under the pedestal sink and it began to have water flow about two hours later and kept the pipe unfrozen....

Yeah, right! Ever hear of BTUs?

They are predicting two nights of being in the 30s here in Central Florida over Christmas. One day they don't think it will get out of the 40s, which is very unusual.

The longer forecast is an extremely cold January and February for most of the US, even Florida.

Those CO2s aren't doing their job very well, are they?

It gets cold at night in the southwest desert. Are lefties going to go down with blankets and rescue the illegal rabble?

Yeah, right!
Candle and Matches
If your car breaks down in cold weather, a small candle lit inside the car can provide a surprising amount of light and, most importantly, warmth. Any candle will do, but tea lights tend to be tidier and have the added advantage that they don’t take up much space. Pop a few into your car’s first aid kit. An alternative is to pack a candle inside a tin can: A coffee can with a plastic lid is ideal—you can keep your matches and candle inside and everything should stay nice and dry.

Meh, I am all electric but power comes from nuclear plant less than two miles away. Time to dig my ice shanty out of storage. I predict by Thursday east harbor freezes enough. Last year firstday of ice fishing 125 assorted crappie,, blue gill, and perch on the ice in first hour for two people. Could be a good week.

Forum List

Back