yall need to get ready....for the deep freeze

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
its coming....20 degrees for a few days ...way into the far south and texas...get ready...bring your pets in and shore up your place...get that shrinkable plastic and cover your windows...get the family in one room....blankets and warm clothes are the key...be careful of running the water to keep it from freezing...if it freezes under the sink...it will flood your kitchen...check your pipes...dont shovel snow...let it be..it will melt..dont drive if you dont have too and if you drive make sure you got stuff in car in case you get stalled..i put a blanket with nabs and water in car...also those chemical hand warmers...be aware of carbon poisoning in house and in car...dont do stupid stuff like trying the stove on high and leaving it for heat...at night..socks and hats..wear them...dont drink in excess....dont linger in wet clothes ...if you have wool now is the time to break it out

snuggle and cuddle...

its coming....20 degrees for a few days ...way into the far south and texas...get ready...bring your pets in and shore up your place...get that shrinkable plastic and cover your windows...get the family in one room....blankets and warm clothes are the key...be careful of running the water to keep it from freezing...if it freezes under the sink...it will flood your kitchen...check your pipes...dont shovel snow...let it be..it will melt..dont drive if you dont have too and if you drive make sure you got stuff in car in case you get stalled..i put a blanket with nabs and water in car...also those chemical hand warmers...be aware of carbon poisoning in house and in car...dont do stupid stuff like trying the stove on high and leaving it for heat...at night..socks and hats..wear them...dont drink in excess....dont linger in wet clothes ...if you have wool now is the time to break it out

snuggle and cuddle...

To quote a member of your own cult , Augustine_, if I'm not mistaken......................

"Pussies".

In my town, the overnight low for Thursday is forecast to be -19°. Wind chill -44°.

But most of your advice is valid. I carry an electric blanket and a charged power station in my car that will allow me to use the blanket for eight hours or more.

one more...if you do get out in your car and something happens stay with the damned car...dont try to walk for help unless you can see the help from where you are...

if you have tents set them up on the bed...use any camping geer....woolens....sleeping bags etc...

20 degrees is when Michiganders start to think about breaking out the actual snow boots and thermals. Maybe, but depends on the wind.

Our kids go out to recess unless the temperature and/or wind chill is ZERO.

Yes, read that again. They go out to recess at 1 degree. For 30 minutes.

Geeez

many homes in the deep south and most likely texas and all...are not insulated....people who live in the cold...know that getting yourself in stupid situations...can result in death by freezing...

There is truth to this, of course. But honestly, unless you simply cannot heat your home at all, 20 degrees is cold but not "dangerous".

One thing I can never figure out:

When it snows, why do Southerners get out of their cars and just start....walking around? On the highways?

The stay home advice is best, and I'd add to that, stock up now if you can. It's been a week since I've been out of my home any farther than to spread ice melt on the sidewalk, check the mail and fill the bird feeders. The roads have been too slick and I'm not an experienced winter driver. I think I'll try to make a trip today for a couple more bags of ice melt and a fresh half gallon of milk, but if I don't get out I won't starve because I have a full pantry.

It looks like no relief for the next ten days and another six inches of snow on Wednesday.

I really do feel for those who live in the climates where there simply is no need to think about weather like this, normally. I hope that people will be wise about dealing with the weather.

There is truth to this, of course. But honestly, unless you simply cannot heat your home at all, 20 degrees is cold but not "dangerous".

One thing I can never figure out:

When it snows, why do Southerners get out of their cars and just start....walking around? On the highways?

I am patting myself on the back for doing something that I thought at the time was a waste of money, installing a wood stove and getting three cord of wood. If we lose power, I will be able to keep many of my neighbors warm and offer hot coffee.

I am patting myself on the back for doing something that I thought at the time was a waste of money, installing a wood stove and getting three cord of wood. If we lose power, I will be able to keep many of my neighbors warm and offer hot coffee.

I'm guessing you're in the Dakotas. Winter don't play around there.

maxresdefault.jpg

Forum List

Back