Ya just can't win

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
Wind turbines taking toll on birds of prey
By John Ritter, USA TODAY
ALTAMONT PASS, Calif. — The big turbines that stretch for miles along these rolling, grassy hills have churned out clean, renewable electricity for two decades in one of the nation's first big wind-power projects.

But for just as long, massive fiberglass blades on the more than 4,000 windmills have been chopping up tens of thousands of birds that fly into them, including golden eagles, red-tailed hawks, burrowing owls and other raptorshttp://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-01-04-windmills-usat_x.htm?csp=27&RM_Exclude=Juno

Environmentalists intend to sue.

maybe we should just all go to nuclear power. seems like were damned if we do and damned if we dont.

dilloduck said:
ALTAMONT PASS, Calif. — The big turbines that stretch for miles along these rolling, grassy hills have churned out clean, renewable electricity for two decades in one of the nation's first big wind-power projects.

But for just as long, massive fiberglass blades on the more than 4,000 windmills have been chopping up tens of thousands of birds that fly into them, including golden eagles, red-tailed hawks, burrowing owls and other raptorshttp://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-01-04-windmills-usat_x.htm?csp=27&RM_Exclude=Juno

Damn. I guess we need to go back to the days of the campfire.

dilloduck said:

funny thing this not far from where i live...when originaly proposed they wanted to have the towers taller than they and have bigger blades so the blades would be above the flight altitudes and fewer of the towers...the tree huggers vetoed this as to big and too ugly so they went with shorter and more towers thus more dead birds...guess what they want now....

manu1959 said:
funny thing this not far from where i live...when originaly proposed they wanted to have the towers taller than they and have bigger blades so the blades would be above the flight altitudes and fewer of the towers...the tree huggers vetoed this as to big and too ugly so they went with shorter and more towers thus more dead birds...guess what they want now....

birds to walk and people to fly?------I drove by them driving to LA and they are quite the sight even after seeing them on TV.

dilloduck said:
birds to walk and people to fly?------I drove by them driving to LA and they are quite the sight even after seeing them on TV.

sad thing is almost none of them ever seem to be working....the coolest ones i have seen are out in the middle of the ocean off the coast of denmark or germany i forget which

Forum List

Back