WWII The Soviet Union

The Russians did nothing to defeat Japan. All they did was to overrun poorly supplied and trained troops in areas that Russia wanted to rule. Stalin waited until he had extorted as much from the USA as he could, then picked up all the rotting fruit that had fallen to the ground in China and Manchuria.

Oh, you stupid, ignorant idiot...
I'm not the ignorant idiot. The total Soviet casualties in fighting the Japanese were between ten and twelve thousand KIA and twenty-four thousand WIA. That's out of a force of over one and a half million troops. That tells the story, those are losses from minor skirmishes, not sizeable battles.

Low casualty numbers does not mean they made no contribution; if nothing else, they acted as a deterrent, and caused Japan to divert resources they otherwise could have deployed toward us. The Soviet Union also was not alone there; they shared that front with China, and it would have been madness for them to volunteer to up their presence in the east when they had MUCH more pressing threats in the west.

That said, victory over Japan came mostly, but not fully, from the US. China (as I mentioned), Great Britain, India, and ANZAC troops all made significant contributions.

Low casualty numbers does not mean they made no contribution; if nothing else, they acted as a deterrent, and caused Japan to divert resources they otherwise could have deployed toward us. The Soviet Union also was not alone there; they shared that front with China, and it would have been madness for them to volunteer to up their presence in the east when they had MUCH more pressing threats in the west.

That said, victory over Japan came mostly, but not fully, from the US. China (as I mentioned), Great Britain, India, and ANZAC troops all made significant contributions.
The Japanese had already diverted everything useful from the Kwangtung Army to Japan, leaving it with the dregs of their forces. By the time the Soviets invaded the Japanese couldn't move a fishing boat from the mainland to the home islands without it being sunk by either a sub or aircraft.

The Commonwealth troops fought a defensive war in Burma and China against overextended and often starving Japanese troops.

Forum List

Back