WTF Chuck: Working Class Spends Money On 'Booze & Women'

GOP Senator Implies Those Who Aren’t Millionaires Waste Money On ‘Booze, Women’

That’s why the richest deserve a break on estate taxes, says Chuck Grassley.

In an astonishing defense of dropping “death taxes” for individual estates worth more than $5.5 million, GOP Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley implied that people not currently affected by that tax are “spending every darn penny ... on booze or women.”

“I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing — as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies,” Grassley told the Des Moines Register in an interview published Saturday. Grassley, who serves on the Finance Committee, made the remark when asked about the Senate tax reform measure which would double the exemption for estates to $11 million for an individual and $22 million for a couple. Heirs would inherit the estates tax-free.

Grassley’s comment triggered a wave of criticism on social media. Many complained that the working class is, in fact, spending “every darn penny” on raising their kids, caring for elderly parents, health care and putting food on the table. One Twitter user complained that the GOP was turning America into a version of “The Hunger Games.”

More: GOP Senator Implies Those Who Aren't Millionaires Waste Money On 'Booze, Women'

Wow! Just Wow! It takes a real neanderthal to make such an ignorant statement. However, Grassley has proven many times that he is an ignorant neanderthal.

How many rich people did you see in line to spend a $1,000 on a phone?

Or starting riots over $400.00 sneakers?

Yep, poor people are poor for a reason, they have screwed up priorities. I pay less than $20 sneakers and $90 for a phone. But if I should have a major break down on my truck, I have the money to fix it. Most people have to finance a set of tires.

When I was in management, most of my staff had better phones and cable packages than I did.

It is not "elitist" to say someone has messed up financial priorities... How many times you think I've told my kids they're wasting their money on stupid shit? Am I "elitist" against my kids?

The estate tax is nothing more than stealing from children, its money that parents saved going to their kids... Hell it hits spouses too; here you're trying to grieve the loss of your partner and the fucking gov is standing there with a proverbial gun demanding money. Then there's the "double taxation" issue; which is a double edged sword I won't get into detail on (interest not paid taxes on, but sometimes they've paid tax on it before they put it in the bank, etc.)

It is not elitist to tell that to an individual person whom you know personally and have seen how they spend their money.

It is elitist to say that 90% of the country is doing so.

I am betting that even you can see the difference.

In an astonishing defense of dropping “death taxes” for individual estates worth more than $5.5 million, GOP Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley implied that people not currently affected by that tax are “spending every darn penny ... on booze or women.”

“I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing — as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies,” Grassley told the Des Moines Register in an interview published Saturday. Grassley, who serves on the Finance Committee, made the remark when asked about the Senate tax reform measure which would double the exemption for estates to $11 million for an individual and $22 million for a couple. Heirs would inherit the estates tax-free.

Grassley’s comment triggered a wave of criticism on social media. Many complained that the working class is, in fact, spending “every darn penny” on raising their kids, caring for elderly parents, health care and putting food on the table. One Twitter user complained that the GOP was turning America into a version of “The Hunger Games.”

More: GOP Senator Implies Those Who Aren't Millionaires Waste Money On 'Booze, Women'

Wow! Just Wow! It takes a real neanderthal to make such an ignorant statement. However, Grassley has proven many times that he is an ignorant neanderthal.

Yep, poor people are poor for a reason, they have screwed up priorities. I pay less than $20 sneakers and $90 for a phone. But if I should have a major break down on my truck, I have the money to fix it. Most people have to finance a set of tires.

When I was in management, most of my staff had better phones and cable packages than I did.

Must have sucked to be you.

If they already had 10 billion dollars to buy that $3000 phone, what good did the tax break additional money on top of the billions they already have, do?

Must have sucked to be you.

Nope. Like the man said, I was not broke, I had money on hand when shit came up.

He's not talking about poor people, he's talking about anyone who doesn't benefit from the repeal of the estate tax.

He's talking about you.

No, I don't buy booze, or go to movies, I do splurge on the wife occasionally, because I can.

So why did Chuck stereotype you?

He didn't, it doesn't apply to me. If it doesn't apply to you why should you be offended?

He cast 99% of American workers as irresponsible. Is this how the Right Wing thinks? Only millionaires and billionaires should benefit from tax cuts? Those who can least afford it are being taxed so that those who can most afford it are not.

And Right Wing dupes are on board with it!

You bastards are attacking 90% of this country as a bunch of bums. That is elitist and wrong.

Most of these people work to have a roof over their heads, car and to feed their families. Don't fucking tell me your anti-poor and middle class shit.

They're actually attacking themselves because they're in the same group that Grassley was attacking.

He's not talking about poor people, he's talking about anyone who doesn't benefit from the repeal of the estate tax.

He's talking about you.

No, I don't buy booze, or go to movies, I do splurge on the wife occasionally, because I can.

He didn't, it doesn't apply to me. If it doesn't apply to you why should you be offended?

He cast 99% of American workers as irresponsible. Is this how the Right Wing thinks? Only millionaires and billionaires should benefit from tax cuts? Those who can least afford it are being taxed so that those who can most afford it are not.

He and his mimics in this thread are attacking consumers because they spend money,

while at the same time they're insisting that we need the budget busting tax cuts so consumers will have more money to spend.

Got to love that bumper sticker mentality.

I buy tires online it's cheaper..

How long does it take you to pay off the credit card? I buy mine form a local company that has good prices, they also rotate and rebalance for free and have a killer road hazard policy, which I used extensively when I was driving commercially.

I pay with a bank card/debit card when I buy it, I don't finance tires...

Congratulations. I'd say about 70% of the people in my area couldn't say that.

It's because regular people are screwed these days. It gets worse under the GOP for regular people d u h...

Regular people aren't paying the lions share of the freight, many should be giving thanks for the free ride.

Yeah, yeah...let's all pretend that our "poor" aren't our greatest liability. Let's pretend the 'poor' doesn't represent the majority of the folks smoking cigarettes, smoking weed, with drinking problems, drug addictions...etc etc
Come on guys...stop the madness, sack up and learn to appreciate the whole truth. Stop dumbing yourselves down for the sake of PC. Don't be scared.
execute them, bury them in a mass grave and we'll all be better off.

WOW...that's fucked up.
Just give the habitual bottom feeders a tent, a fishing pole and a bus ticket to a resource rich forest somewhere far, far away and wish them luck.
How about a college degree instead?

Those are earned, not given.

He's talking about you.

No, that is not how the right wing thinks. That is how this one idiot was thinking.

I see we have the usual suspects, (Trumpsters), pretending that they are not in the economic sector, that Grassley just insulted.
Most of you losers spend a ton of time on USMB, writing nothing but over-used talking points, indicating a low educational level.
The people, who Grassley suggested deserve humongous tax breaks, wouldn't ever be on a political message board, let alone posting talking points redundantly.
You Trumpsters, are the people Grassley just insulted. Exactly, who in the fuck do you think you're fooling? :dunno:

I'm comfortably retired thank you. I do what I want with my time.

right... because all poor people are spending $1,000 on a phone.

so, let's get this straight... you losers don't want a minimum wage. don't want to educate people unless they're wealthy. don't think people should be able to afford health care and pharmaceuticals....

but you berate them for not being able to save when they can barely afford to live?

it's so cute how when people talk about screwing working people, you automatically pretend that poor people (who in your head are black) are living high on the hog off of your money.

at this point, there is nothing to think about people like Grassley and you ilk other than that there is a deep strain of evil that runs through a third of the country that thinks this is ok.

if I believed in hell, I'd say there's a special place there for all of you

What kind of a job would a person have that allows them to camp out for 3 days to get a phone? Also tell Clarance Thomas and Sonya Sotomayor that education isn't available to the poor. Of course a little want to and perseverance is required to get it. Not really too popular in today's instant gratification society.

I have people in my family who grew up children of sharecroppers and died millionaires, I have others that were lazy, and died totally broke. It has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with motivation. They were raised and given their base values by the same parents.

So if Grassley's comments apply to you feel free to be offended, they don't apply to me.

I see we have the usual suspects, (Trumpsters), pretending that they are not in the economic sector, that Grassley just insulted.
Most of you losers spend a ton of time on USMB, writing nothing but over-used talking points, indicating a low educational level.
The people, who Grassley suggested deserve humongous tax breaks, wouldn't ever be on a political message board, let alone posting talking points redundantly.
You Trumpsters, are the people Grassley just insulted. Exactly, who in the fuck do you think you're fooling? :dunno:

I'm comfortably retired thank you. I do what I want with my time.

I'd like to buy oh say ten years from you..

He didn't, it doesn't apply to me.

Sure it does. You a multi millionaire?

If not, he was talking about you.

Wrong.

Wake up or keep the blinders on, that's your choice.

But this really isn't a topic with much grey area for interpretation. He was talking about you, me and probably 99.9% of the people on this website.

You seem to think I should actually care, what he said has no bearing on me, so why should I be offended? Does it apply to you? If it does maybe you could look at reorganizing your priorities.

Of course it has impact on you.

You're getting either a shitty improvement on your taxes or no improvement at all while millionaires are getting a substantial tax cut.

And he's justifying it because he's saying anyone who doesn't get to take advantage of the estate tax (ie. You) don't deserve it because you spend your money frivolously.

You may not spend your money like that but you're ok with him generalizing you and giving the Lions share of tax gains to people who don't need it.

This is hurting you and you don't care. Literally insane.

Well dipstick, the lower 50% pays 3% of all income tax, most of those will go to zero with the doubling of the standard deduction, I know I will. So tell me, where are there taxes paid that can be cut? Can you say the upper 50%?

Oh and if farmers and ranchers don't have to sell off to pay taxes, what skin is off you nose?

Rich people don't have to stand in lines. That's for the little people.

Forum List

Back