Would you support mandatory constitutional conventions?

Thomas Jefferson suggested when the basic Constitution was being written that there needed to be a regular constitutional convention in order to ensure that the constitution always was kept up to date to the needs of the nation and the people at that time. His suggestion was that a mandatory convention be held every 10 years.

I think that this is a good idea. I also believe that the constitutional convention should be viewed the same as jury duty with a lottery system choosing the delegates and that all Americans who are registered to vote be eligible for selection. This would give the American people a more direct say in any amendments and would simp not simply rely on politicians and political Insiders.

Proponents of this type of mandatory convention typically picture it as being much like jury duty where the people serving as delegates are paid a small stipend per day and have their travel and accommodations paid. The convention would be held for at least 3 days, but there is no mandate that any actual amendments be passed. The idea would be that time is given to at least introduce and debate possible amendments, or even a page one rewrite of the entire Constitution.
This differs from how Thomas Jefferson envisioned it, as he supported completely rewriting the Constitution every 10 years on a mandatory basis.
The Deep State prefers appointing 9 black robes determine what the Constitution really says.

Jefferson blew a gasket after the Madison vs. Marbury ruling that virtually gave SCOTUS full authority to determine what is Constitutional and what is not.
Well that was the constitution, not the deep state, as the sole duty placed on the supreme court in the constitution was the interpretation of the constitution whenever the need arises.

Many of our rights and freedoms we have today for based on supreme Court decisions.

For example most of us wouldn't be citizens if not for a decision in the 1890s that expanded the 14th amendment to all immigrants. Most Americans today are descended from immigrants who immigrated after the 14th amendment, and if not for that decision the children of those immigrants and their descendants would not have been citizens, unless they went through the nationalization process once it was created which wasn't until years later.

Thomas Jefferson suggested when the basic Constitution was being written that there needed to be a regular constitutional convention in order to ensure that the constitution always was kept up to date to the needs of the nation and the people at that time. His suggestion was that a mandatory convention be held every 10 years.

I think that this is a good idea. I also believe that the constitutional convention should be viewed the same as jury duty with a lottery system choosing the delegates and that all Americans who are registered to vote be eligible for selection. This would give the American people a more direct say in any amendments and would simp not simply rely on politicians and political Insiders.

Proponents of this type of mandatory convention typically picture it as being much like jury duty where the people serving as delegates are paid a small stipend per day and have their travel and accommodations paid. The convention would be held for at least 3 days, but there is no mandate that any actual amendments be passed. The idea would be that time is given to at least introduce and debate possible amendments, or even a page one rewrite of the entire Constitution.
This differs from how Thomas Jefferson envisioned it, as he supported completely rewriting the Constitution every 10 years on a mandatory basis.

Not just no but HECK NO!

Can anyone imagine how many thousand pages it would be and no one had even read the tomb?

Personally, I never heard that Thomas Jefferson said our Constitution should be re-written every ten years. If he had, why would he have worked so hard to make it as perfect as possible?
Jefferson opposed writing the Constitution to begin with he didn't want any document passed that gave the federal government any form of institutional power.

Not just no but HECK NO!

Can anyone imagine how many thousand pages it would be and no one had even read the tomb?

Personally, I never heard that Thomas Jefferson said our Constitution should be re-written every ten years. If he had, why would he have worked so hard to make it as perfect as possible?
Jefferson opposed writing the Constitution to begin with he didn't want any document passed that gave the federal government any form of institutional power.

I'm still waiting for your reliable sources and working links confirming that Thomas Jefferson stated that our constitution should be re-written every ten years. IF that was true, why have a provision to amend the document?

Not just no but HECK NO!

Which contributed to the Constitution being written in such a manner that it LIMITED the powers of the Federal Government.

As you know, failed former President Obama feels that is wrong and that our Constitution should have been written to enumerate all the things that the Federal Government must provide for their citizens.

Not just no but HECK NO!

Hey dumbass! Jefferson did NOT write the Constitution!

Fully in favor of it. Once every 75 years or so, pop the hood open and take a look at what works and what doesn't work. Propose amendments and let the States decide.

We've had that for 250 years.

No, we have not. It's been 231 years since it was was written and ratified. Apparently, you don't know a fucking thing about the Constitution. Why is that?

Not just no but HECK NO!

Jefferson was in France at the time. He had nothing to do with it!

Not just no but HECK NO!

You seem to have some odd notion that not directly writing it means he didn't have ideas on what should be included.

Not just no but HECK NO!

You seem to have some odd notion that not directly writing it means he didn't have ideas on what should be included.

He was in France, you imbecile.

Not just no but HECK NO!

Who said he did?

Character%20I-X2.jpg

Last edited:

Not just no but HECK NO!

Who said he did?

Character%20I-X2.jpg

Practically every uneducated moron on this thread, including you!

Forum List

Back