CDZ Would Police Dogs be an effective means to neutralize school shooters?

Given that most of the shooting in a school attack happens without warning and is over within a few minutes, rapid response is essential. Would a Police Dog under the control of a patrolling officer be effective against a shooter? I believe it would. The dog could also be outfitted with a bullet proof vest to increase it's chances of surviving. What do you think?
That's an idea worth exploring. It's expensive to train a police dog but may well be worth it.

A police dog for every school in America? Do you people all suck at math?
Read my thread title. I was not exploring cost I was exploring feasibility.

Cost is feasibility!

They are amazing animals. Natural protectors, but I doubt they would be an effective deterrent against crazy.

Given that most of the shooting in a school attack happens without warning and is over within a few minutes, rapid response is essential. Would a Police Dog under the control of a patrolling officer be effective against a shooter? I believe it would. The dog could also be outfitted with a bullet proof vest to increase it's chances of surviving. What do you think?
That's an idea worth exploring. It's expensive to train a police dog but may well be worth it.

Cost is feasibility!
Yeah. It's expensive. So, let's not even explore the possibility! Let's not, for example, try having prisoners raise and train the young puppies as other service dog groups have done. Let's not explore the possibility of high school students apprenticing with law enforcement in the training of dogs.... Yeah. Never mind. Too expensive. Let's just throw up our hands, give up our guns, hope that'll stop crazy people from shooting up schools.

They are amazing animals. Natural protectors, but I doubt they would be an effective deterrent against crazy.
Yep. Hard to say about crazy. I know this, if I was a bad guy, I would rather take my chances with a human cop than a dog. The human cop may hesitate before he shots me. A dog cop has no fear thus no hesitation. He'll do as he's trained to do which would most likely be sink his teeth into my arm and hold me there indefinitely.

Yep. Hard to say about crazy. I know this, if I was a bad guy, I would rather take my chances with a human cop than a dog. The human cop may hesitate before he shots me. A dog cop has no fear thus no hesitation. He'll do as he's trained to do which would most likely be sink his teeth into my arm and hold me there indefinitely.
I've got two male German Shepard. I understand their capabilities.

Joint effort with the trainer/officer ... The assailant almost has to address the dog first.
That supplies a window of opportunity for the dog's partner to drop the assailant.

It's a hard way of looking at it ... But practical and could see better results.

how many dogs per school...one dog will be shot right off the bat.....attack dogs are better in teams and as another poster pointed out...dogs that attack are not good around people...most breeds must be taught to bite humans...

one must admit you watch cops....they yell stop or i will shoot ....no one stops...they yell stop or i will release the dog..they fall to their knees with hands locked behind their heads....the best cops...the dogs chase two dudes in water..the dudes try to drown the dogs...when the handlers get there...you hear two things.....you tried to kill my dog...then cut that damn camera off...i would have loved to have seen the rest of it...

Joint effort with the trainer/officer ... The assailant almost has to address the dog first.
That supplies a window of opportunity for the dog's partner to drop the assailant.

It's a hard way of looking at it ... But practical and could see better results.

That is 100% correct.

But where are we going to draw the line? This is like squeezing a balloon. It always bulges out somewhere else.

Expensive, impractical, some kids getting bit.
The key question I am posing is "Would a trained dog be EFFECTIVE" at neutralizing a shooter. Are there specific reasons why that wouldn't work? I thought of one, large dogs have problems running on linoleum type floors typical in a school so their speed is effected.

That is 100% correct.

But where are we going to draw the line? This is like squeezing a balloon. It always bulges out somewhere else.

Anything you do is squeezing the balloon ... Even drawing the line.
You cannot ban the ability to adapt nor innovate ... :thup:

What works will never become common practice. A vicious dog would scare the hell out of would-be attackers but also scare children or harm unruly students. Teachers with guns would be a threat to Swat teams. I suggest a fence topped with razor wire. Metal detection equipment. Security similar to airports with TSA officials at every entrance/exit. 99. 99% of the problem solved.

Yes turn our schools into prisons...... No thank you
One day traveling to east Texas we passed by a school. I was still working at the prison then and the sign outside the school had a date on it and under the date it said, "Early release". I almost had to pull over. Plus it looked like a prison, tiny windows and fences all over.

That is 100% correct.

Anything you do is squeezing the balloon ... Even drawing the line.
You cannot ban the ability to adapt nor innovate ... :thup:

In the context of reacting (especially emotionally) to every tragic event we become more and more like a police state.

The question I am asking is do the reactions we make to tragedy, justify the cost in dollars, liberty and life style?

I don't think it does. Take 911 for instance. We now have to jump through hoops because we cannot bear another tragedy. I think the terrorists won because we do.

In the context of reacting (especially emotionally) to every tragic event we become more and more like a police state.

The question I am asking is do the reactions we make to tragedy, justify the cost in dollars, liberty and life style?

I don't think it does. Take 911 for instance. We now have to jump through hoops because we cannot bear another tragedy. I think the terrorists won because we do.

Well ... You are correct if you mean liberty/freedom comes with consequences ... It does.

I am just saying that if you attempt to mitigate adaptation or innovation with reactions ... You have already doomed your efforts ...
And would have better success buying a lottery ticket ... :dunno:

Well ... You are correct if you mean liberty/freedom comes with consequences ... It does.

I am just saying that if you attempt to mitigate adaptation or innovation with reactions ... You have already doomed your efforts ...
And would have better success buying a lottery ticket ... :dunno:

Often times we meet our destiny on the path we take to avoid it.

Big dogs in schools alone might work.....and a calming influence on students too.

The type of dogs you train to charge after a person with a gun are not the type of dogs you have in contact with the general population.
true...but the mere presence of big dogs would be a deterrent, imo.

Lots of people are talking about adding security guards, tunnels, metal detectors- all expensive. You pooh-pooh a trained dog. Pffft.

Tunnels?

Metal detectors are a waste of time and money.

Dogs are expensive and very hard to come by.

Cost is feasibility!
Yeah. It's expensive. So, let's not even explore the possibility! Let's not, for example, try having prisoners raise and train the young puppies as other service dog groups have done. Let's not explore the possibility of high school students apprenticing with law enforcement in the training of dogs.... Yeah. Never mind. Too expensive. Let's just throw up our hands, give up our guns, hope that'll stop crazy people from shooting up schools.

Yeah, your ideas are pie-in-the-sky!

It is not a service dog. Do you have any idea how long it takes to train these dogs?

How many schools are there in the US?

I have a better idea! Why don't I just take my dog to school and he can lick the shooter to death?

Cost is feasibility!

It is not a service dog. Do you have any idea how long it takes to train these dogs?

I have a better idea! Why don't I just take my dog to school and he can lick the shooter to death?
Cost is not feasibility. That is the second question after you have determined that you have an effective solution. If you are designing a weapon system for example, you don't start off with "Oh that's going to cost too much". That is basically the discussion here. You are using a dog as a weapon to take down an active shooter as fast as possible. What are the pros and cons? Now how about you xxxxxxxxxx come up with a reasoned response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cost is feasibility!

Cost is not feasibility. That is the second question after you have determined that you have an effective solution. If you are designing a weapon system for example, you don't start off with "Oh that's going to cost too much". That is basically the discussion here. You are using a dog as a weapon to take down an active shooter as fast as possible. What are the pros and cons? Now how about you quit being a jerk and come up with a reasoned response.

Learn a definition!

fea·si·bil·i·ty noun the state or degree of being easily or conveniently done.

Since you started out your entire argument based on false information, why don't you try again based on the fact that you didn't know what "feasibility" even means?

Cost is feasibility!

You've made yourself clear. You don't like the idea. Thanks for telling us again.

Forum List

Back