Should High School drivers ed students be taught how to de-escalate when stopped by police.

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
We certainly were. We were taught that a police officer pulling you over is not like a teacher stopping you in the hallway to ask for you to spit out your gum. You can get away with being sarcastic and rude to your teacher, but it may go badly if you speak the same way to a police officer.

I know that there are many democrats, and unfortunately many people who claim to be libertarian, who believed that policemen should be disrespected and not cooperated with when they stop you. Maybe that's what helps you protect your fragile understanding of your own manhood, but it's not a particularly good way to keep yourself out of jail or keep your skull intact.

Yes, in an ideal world one would never fear a police officer. But any person who has ever interacted with a police officer in a negative way knows that the situation can become volatile and dangerous.

Be polite. Be compliant. If you feel your rights were violated don't take the law into your own hands, you take them to court and hit them where they really live. You won't win against them on the sidewalk or the side of a road.

I taught my own kids at, but sadly it is the school who must parent many kids today. Since we're parenting them, let's remember to teach them police officer safety. By that I mean how to be safe when dealing with a police officer.

Silly rabbit!

They stopped teaching Drivers Ed decades ago!
The DMV's just give out licenses to kill, maim, and destroy to any fucktard POS psychopath that walks through their doors!!

asdf-movie.gif

Why should anyone have to "de-escalate" anything when they're pulled over? Police officers are for the most part courteous and professional. I know this to be true, in spite of the stupid shit I've done in the past that got me pulled over or worse.

Why should anyone have to "de-escalate" anything when they're pulled over? Police officers are for the most part courteous and professional. I know this to be true, in spite of the stupid shit I've done in the past that got me pulled over or worse.

You can't possibly live in Texas then!!

They're pissants here, with major fucking tudes and arrogance that makes the DNC party look like Mother Theresa!

It certainly couldn't hurt.

I wouldn't dare even speak back to a teacher let alone a police officer. I used to have to refer to my dad as "sir", so I was taught to view adults with respect.

To be honest, from time to time there were some difficult students in school who would act out or curse at teachers (with consequences), it seemed unfathomable to me when I witnessed it.

Unfortunately, my own upbringing of trusting authority backfired, so there is a fine line when dealing with abusive adults. However, a stop of a driver by an officer should go smoothly 100% of the time but clearly it does not (police are often responsible for these bad outcomes as well).

They're pissants here, with major fucking tudes and arrogance that makes the DNC party look like Mother Theresa!

I hate driving through Texas for this exact reason! Everytime I travel on I-40, whether I'm going East or West, whenever I get near Amarillo, I expect to get pulled over.

I lived in Irving, Grand Prairie, Arlington, and Austin for a little over 25 years. I paid for my share of new tires for their patrol cars, with some of the stupid shit I did.

Broke out of jail once in Tuscumbia County, Missouri, back in 1970 too. So I know when 4 State Patrol and a handful of local officers are pointing their guns at you, not to do or say anything rash.:04:

It certainly couldn't hurt.

I wouldn't dare even speak back to a teacher let alone a police officer. I used to have to refer to my dad as "sir", so I was taught to view adults with respect.

To be honest, from time to time there were some difficult students in school who would act out or curse at teachers (with consequences), it seemed unfathomable to me when I witnessed it.

Unfortunately, my own upbringing of trusting authority backfired, so there is a fine line when dealing with abusive adults. However, a stop of a driver by an officer should go smoothly 100% of the time but clearly it does not (police are often responsible for these bad outcomes as well).
I wouldn’t say “often”….are there some power tripping cops? Yes. Do police departments need to do a better job identifying them and resolving that issue? Yes…But overall, most I’ve dealt with are professional, and courteous…

I wouldn’t say “often”….are there some power tripping cops? Yes. Do police departments need to do a better job identifying them and resolving that issue? Yes…But overall, most I’ve dealt with are professional, and courteous…

That's a fair assessment. I've had good interactions with police in uniform. I believe the reason for this is primarily that I am immediately respectful and non-threatening. They read this from me and reciprocate.

I was pulled over literally three times in about a month and a half period when my father in laws license was suspended and they ran our plates. I was driving, so it was fine (my wife was more angry than I was about it).

However, the visual that sticks in my mine is a cop who pulled over a black youth who was with his gf. He had his hands on the steering wheel if I remember correctly and the cop rolls up as the guys gf is live streaming. The cop asked him if he had a gun on him, he answers "yes, I have a permit and it's in my glove compartment".

The cop then asks the young man for his license, the man slowly takes his hands off and reaches for his pocket when the officer fires two or three bullets, point blank into his chest.

This poor guy just sat there, unable to move, struggling to breath, his chest slowly rising and falling, dying in front of my eye (and many others I assume as she said she was livestreamig it, (I just saw the recording from a nes website or something) his gf is loudly freaking out, telling the cop "he better not die", she was rightfully enraged. The cop said "I told him not to move, I was afraid he was going for a gun" or some ridiculous statement like that after he asked the man for his license.

If I recall correctly he wasn't charged for this young mans murder. Viewing it just once scared the hell out of me, this guy didn't deserve to die and he deserves justice. I'm not sure his family received any and THAT is a serious problem.

Sometimes it is just a bad video or recently effect that sticks in ones mind. The bad cops heavily damage the reputation of the intelligent, reasonable ones.

That's a fair assessment. I've had good interactions with police in uniform. I believe the reason for this is primarily that I am immediately respectful and non-threatening. They read this from me and reciprocate.

I was pulled over literally three times in about a month and a half period when my father in laws license was suspended and they ran our plates. I was driving, so it was fine (my wife was more angry than I was about it).

However, the visual that sticks in my mine is a cop who pulled over a black youth who was with his gf. He had his hands on the steering wheel if I remember correctly and the cop rolls up as the guys gf is live streaming. The cop asked him if he had a gun on him, he answers "yes, I have a permit and it's in my glove compartment".

The cop then asks the young man for his license, the man slowly takes his hands off and reaches for his pocket when the officer fires two or three bullets, point blank into his chest.

This poor guy just sat there, unable to move, struggling to breath, his chest slowly rising and falling, dying in front of my eye (and many others I assume as she said she was livestreamig it, (I just saw the recording from a nes website or something) his gf is loudly freaking out, telling the cop "he better not die", she was rightfully enraged. The cop said "I told him not to move, I was afraid he was going for a gun" or some ridiculous statement like that after he asked the man for his license.

If I recall correctly he wasn't charged for this young mans murder. Viewing it just once scared the hell out of me, this guy didn't deserve to die and he deserves justice. I'm not sure his family received any and THAT is a serious problem.

Sometimes it is just a bad video or recently effect that sticks in ones mind. The bad cops heavily damage the reputation of the intelligent, reasonable ones.
Whatever happened to that cop?
I remember when that happened, I believe I said that was wrong…

We certainly were. We were taught that a police officer pulling you over is not like a teacher stopping you in the hallway to ask for you to spit out your gum. You can get away with being sarcastic and rude to your teacher, but it may go badly if you speak the same way to a police officer.

I know that there are many democrats, and unfortunately many people who claim to be libertarian, who believed that policemen should be disrespected and not cooperated with when they stop you. Maybe that's what helps you protect your fragile understanding of your own manhood, but it's not a particularly good way to keep yourself out of jail or keep your skull intact.

Yes, in an ideal world one would never fear a police officer. But any person who has ever interacted with a police officer in a negative way knows that the situation can become volatile and dangerous.

Be polite. Be compliant. If you feel your rights were violated don't take the law into your own hands, you take them to court and hit them where they really live. You won't win against them on the sidewalk or the side of a road.

I taught my own kids at, but sadly it is the school who must parent many kids today. Since we're parenting them, let's remember to teach them police officer safety. By that I mean how to be safe when dealing with a police officer.
You won't win against them in court either. Who do you think the judge is going to believe, that fine upstanding officer of the law. or you, you sorry piece of shit? (Note. I'm not saying you are a sorry piece of shit. Just that is what the judge will think of you in comparison to what he thinks of the cop. )

De-escalate? It's called being respectful. Normal behavior that a lot of us teach by default.

We have to teach them to respect authority? Lucky they ended the draft or there would be mass suicides once these arrogant punks met a Drill Instructor.

Kids should be taught to be respectful whether to police or otherwise. Police themselves need better training, better techniques, better funding, better pay, better community resources for the nuts they have to deal with all day every day and for themselves when they start to feel nutty, and society needs to pay for those things and give law enforcement and the courts better opportunities to put people in drug treatment or psych care instead of jails and prisons. In short, never gonna happen.

Should High School drivers ed students be taught how to de-escalate when stopped by police?​

They should be taught not to escalate in the first place, by their parents.
De-escalation happens only after the driver aggravates the cops.

When was the last time they ever had to get on to you for anything? Due to all that has happened since whenever your last time was, they have only been given reason to come down even harder on people because people have only gotten worse out there. If anything, people these days are only out there doing whatever they are out there doing just to see how much it is that they can actually get away with anymore. Anything to garner a fifteen-minute time frame in the spotlight for themselves.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back