Should High School drivers ed students be taught how to de-escalate when stopped by police.

I lived in Irving, Grand Prairie, Arlington, and Austin for a little over 25 years. I paid for my share of new tires for their patrol cars, with some of the stupid shit I did.

Broke out of jail once in Tuscumbia County, Missouri, back in 1970 too. So I know when 4 State Patrol and a handful of local officers are pointing their guns at you, not to do or say anything rash.:04:

You had a "fun" life, didn't you!!!!

When did you live in Irving???

I taught for 21 years and never at a school that still had driver's ed. Are you basing your opinion on YOUR high school experience?
Yes as stated in the OP.
Reading your posts should be required for high school students to learn how NOT to write!

Seeing a siren? :abgg2q.jpg:
You are the perfect example of a poster with lots of time to type but few ideas worth typing.

I have seldom had that experience. That said, when I did get pulled it was for a burned out light they used as a pretext and once they saw I have no warrants, they let me go with a "warning". Seems to me though I heard that in Virginia they changed that law a couple years ago that allowed them to pull you for a burned out light as part of the war on racism.

I did have a stop one time that was pretty damn perfect. I handed the trooper my license and registration without either of us saying a word. He went back to his car, came and handed them back and said "fix your headlight" and walked away. Literally the only words spoken.
Cops have always stopped people for equipment violations. I got stopped driving my first car because I put the sticker on my front plate instead of the back one. I had a friend who liked dark-tinted windows, he regularly got stopped. He kept a spare set of legal front seat windows. After getting a ticket, he would swap them out, get the ticket signed off by the CHP and then swap the dark ones back in. Cops usually don't bother with equipment tickets unless something else catches their eye or sets off their suspicions, but they are a valid reason for a traffic stop.

The cop was found not guilty by the courts. A sickening result as far as I am concerned.

He was promptly fired by the police department regardless. Clearly they realized that he doesn't have the right disposition to be a cop.

His family won a civil suit against the police for $3M or so.

That video will forever be etched in my mind and I don't like it.
I doubt he was guilty of murder; manslaughter seems a better charge under the circumstances. Convicting someone of murder usually requires premeditation or "depraved indifference". Neither seems to be obvious in this case.

One drink several hours before driving is going to be completely metabolized.
Doesn't matter...On a night when you know damned well police are going to be out in force, just looking to bust people drinking and driving, still not a wise thing...

I guess because I've been a CDL holder for some 30 years now, I am super protective of my licence.

I think high schoolers should be taught extensively what their rights are. What constitutes detention. What constitutes probable cause. What constitutes an investigation and when a cop has to say what violation they're investigating.

Students should be taught relevant legal standards and case laws.

Not doing so allows police to lie and walk all over people.

I think high schoolers should be taught extensively what their rights are. What constitutes detention. What constitutes probable cause. What constitutes an investigation and when a cop has to say what violation they're investigating.

Students should be taught relevant legal standards and case laws.

Not doing so allows police to lie and walk all over people.
So, you want to teach kids to argue with police....? Not too smart.

So, you want to teach kids to argue with police....? Not too smart.
I want kids to know their rights.

If a cop is going to deprive kids of their rights, you're damn right I want to teach them to argue.

Authoritarians need to be held accountable.

I want kids to know their rights.

If a cop is going to deprive kids of their rights, you're damn right I want to teach them to argue.

Authoritarians need to be held accountable.
Oh man....I hope you don't teach kids anything....

Only dumbasses would teach a kid to argue with police...
Why? You don’t like it when kids stand up for their constitutional rights?

Sounds like you want a generation of slaves willing to accept the government boot on their neck. The founders had little respect for pathetic losers like you.

Why? You don’t like it when kids stand up for their constitutional rights?

Sounds like you want a generation of slaves willing to accept the government boot on their neck. The founders had little respect for pathetic losers like you.
Not at all, but I hardly think a traffic stop is the time to argue...you argue in court.

Not at all, but I hardly think a traffic stop is the time to argue...you argue in court.
If only the conservative pro-cop courts hadn’t systematically destroyed our ability to seek redress for violation of civil rights at the hands of the state.

If you don’t stand up for your rights at every opportunity, they will be taken from you. They already have been chipped away to such a degree thet our founding fathers would not recognize our country.

We’ve become a country who accepts authoritarianism under the banner of “support the police”.

Forum List

Back