Would a Progressive Society be a Free Society?

Society described in OP is

• Free

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Authoritarian

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Totalitarian

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
It seems to me that progressives have already won.

Please consider that reply is coming from someone who cast their first vote 50 years ago. What I've notice is that we take 2 steps to the left followed by 1 to the right.

This thread is proof that progressive liberals can't stand free speech...
You guys have a habit of redefining free speech.

For example, you think you have a freedom to speak on private social media websites. You dont.

You guys have a habit of redefining free speech.

For example, you think you have a freedom to speak on private social media websites. You dont.

Because we can't and the major social media is run by leftists who remove conservative speech is a perfect example of how leftists hate free speech.

Because we can't and the major social media is run by leftists who remove conservative speech is a perfect example of how leftists hate free speech.
You redefined feee speech. Free speech exists in public spaces.

Social media is private space. I can’t come to your front lawn and say whatever I want against your will.

Social media is private space. I can’t come to your front lawn and say whatever I want against your will.

Free speech is free speech no matter what the setting. No, you don't have free speech on my front lawn, you don't have free speech at work, you don't have free speech at Walmart's. That's because me, the Walmart's manager, and your employer restrict your speech. It's the same with social media. You have no right to free speech because these leftist CEO's don't believe in free speech on their sites, hence leftists don't believe in free speech.

The Supreme Court disagrees with you.

Suppose Progressives win the Culture War. Then every website including this one will be faced with a choice of either banning anyone who disagrees with Progressives or being thrown off Internet.

This will not be achieved by government action, but by pressure on Social Media, web hosting providers, DDoS mitigation companies, etc. Thus the First Amendment will not be violated. Nevertheless, anyone who disagrees with Progressives will have no platform anywhere online.

Will that be a Free Society?
Wtf?

That's just your fantasy and a strawman.

Autocrat regime is incompatible with progressive ideology of open society and democratic governing.

Free speech is free speech no matter what the setting. No, you don't have free speech on my front lawn, you don't have free speech at work, you don't have free speech at Walmart's. That's because me, the Walmart's manager, and your employer restrict your speech. It's the same with social media. You have no right to free speech because these leftist CEO's don't believe in free speech on their sites, hence leftists don't believe in free speech.
So apparently no one believes in free speech then.

Congrats. You redefined free speech into being meaningless.

So apparently no one believes in free speech then.

Congrats. You redefined free speech into being meaningless.

No, we on the right believe in free speech. People on the left don't. That's what we're talking about here--beliefs, not constitutional rights. The constitutional right to free speech applies to government limiting it.

Take colleges for instance. If a leftist speaker has a gathering, nobody on the right will try to stop it. We want people to hear what you have to say. Force people on public transportation, increase taxes, take away your guns, expanding the courts to cheat the system, the minority should have control over the majority, pre-teen children should be taught sex in school and parents should have no say in the matter. Why wouldn't we want everybody to hear your message?

On the other hand, if a conservative speaker plans to address a college, there are protests, students and parents threatening to leave the school, death threats and promise of mayhem. The left are scared to death of free speech. If open minded people hear our message, they're liable to leave the plantation. That's because conservatism is pragmatism. It's basic common sense.

No, we on the right believe in free speech. People on the left don't
Apparently not because you already stated that you restrict it.

No, you don't have free speech on my front lawn, you don't have free speech at work, you don't have free speech at Walmart's. That's because me, the Walmart's manager, and your employer restrict your speech. It's the same with social media

So tell me why conservatives think they have free speech on social media?

If you want to see what kind of society an American progressive ruled society would look like - look no further than college campuses.
All non compliant speech - banned and people saying them exiled.
All non compliant forms of expression shunned and banned.
Accepted opinions are not allowed to be questioned.
Violence against the non compliant is acceptable within limits.
Etc. Etc.
It would be a very ugly society filled with hate, intolerance and anyone could become a target at any moment... even years later if they said something and that becomes non compliant speech later.

Apparently not because you already stated that you restrict it.

So tell me why conservatives think they have free speech on social media?

We don't think that. But the comment to you was about how leftists don't believe in free speech. It's true, they don't. They (be it social media, colleges, MSM) don't support any kind of free speech at all.

Forum List

Back