Workers At Donald Trump's Las Vegas Hotel Vote To Unionize

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Hillary Clinton attended a protest to support the workers in October.

After two days of voting, a majority of employees at the Trump International Hotel in Las Vegas have chosen to unionize.

The workers would be represented by the Culinary Workers Union Local 226 and the Bartenders Union Local 165 of UNITE HERE. More than 500 employees were eligible to vote in the election, which took place Dec. 4-5. The unions reported the election result in a press release Monday, but the National Labor Relations Board still needs to ratify it.

Alma Zamarin, a food server at the property, said in a statement that she is "proud" to work at the hotel but that she and her coworkers "need fair wages, good benefits, and job security."

"Trump Las Vegas workers have spoken loud and clear: They want respect, dignity and the Las Vegas union standard," said Geoconda Arguello-Kline, secretary-treasurer of the Culinary Workers Union. "Trump Las Vegas should recognize the workers' vote immediately and sit down with us to negotiate a contract as soon as possible."

The Culinary Workers Union held a protest outside of Trump's hotel in October, one day before the first Democratic presidential primary debate was held just across the street. Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton made a surprise appearance, telling the workers that she stood with them.

"You have to say ... 'no' to efforts to prevent you from organizing, to prevent you from having the kind of working conditions you deserve, the kind of wages that are going to give you a living wage," Clinton said at the rally. "And that means saying 'no' to Donald Trump."

The Culinary Workers Union is Nevada's largest union and is a major player in Nevada politics. In the 2008 Democratic primary, it endorsed Barack Obama over Clinton.

The Trump campaign did not return a request for comment. Workers at Trump's hotel in Toronto voted to unionize nine months ago and recently ratified their first contract.

More: Workers At Donald Trump's Las Vegas Hotel Vote To Unionize

Why would workers at Trump's hotels vote to unionize if he was treating them so well?

I'd let them all go... They can call me names, but they can do it without a job that I gave them.

I'm so happy that Unions are fading away more and more every single year.

Job security in free enterprise comes from delivering, job security from belonging to a Union comes from, well, belonging to a Union

I'd let them all go... They can call me names, but they can do it without a job that I gave them.

Why? What do you have against unions?

Unions are the most evil corporations there are... They are about making money and literally using employee's as leverage. Do you not understand how unions work or something? Unions fight to make the people that run the Union money, not employee's.

Job security in free enterprise comes from delivering, job security from belonging to a Union comes from, well, belonging to a Union

Don't fully agree.

Unions are an economic entity and should behave as such.

Unionizing to extort more money from Trump is stupid and why Unions are becoming less relevant every day.

A good union will add value to a company.

Unions are the most evil corporations there are... They are about making money and literally using employee's as leverage. Do you not understand how unions work or something? Unions fight to make the people that run the Union money, not employee's.

That is the way they work now.

A good union would have a different business model.

The problem is that they would have to self police in order to ensure quality.

The decline of unions has lead to the decline of the middle class .

Without unions fighting for workers rights, we'd still be working longer hours for less money. Oh, maybe it was Karl Marx calling for shorter hours. Amazing how motor mouths like rush limbaugh have educated right wing working stiffs to work against their best interests.

It's great to read another group of workers have voted for their best interests and are joining the union.

Last week is was a portion of the workers in a VW factory. Now these workers in trump's hotels in Vegas.

I sure hope that this continues. We know the government, specifically the republicans, will do all they can to prevent unions and workers being treated fairly. Workers are doing it themselves by voting to join a union.

They aren't getting the government involved. They're doing what the republicans demand of them. Negotiate for better wages and benefits.

Hillary Clinton attended a protest to support the workers in October.

After two days of voting, a majority of employees at the Trump International Hotel in Las Vegas have chosen to unionize.

The workers would be represented by the Culinary Workers Union Local 226 and the Bartenders Union Local 165 of UNITE HERE. More than 500 employees were eligible to vote in the election, which took place Dec. 4-5. The unions reported the election result in a press release Monday, but the National Labor Relations Board still needs to ratify it.

Alma Zamarin, a food server at the property, said in a statement that she is "proud" to work at the hotel but that she and her coworkers "need fair wages, good benefits, and job security."

"Trump Las Vegas workers have spoken loud and clear: They want respect, dignity and the Las Vegas union standard," said Geoconda Arguello-Kline, secretary-treasurer of the Culinary Workers Union. "Trump Las Vegas should recognize the workers' vote immediately and sit down with us to negotiate a contract as soon as possible."

The Culinary Workers Union held a protest outside of Trump's hotel in October, one day before the first Democratic presidential primary debate was held just across the street. Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton made a surprise appearance, telling the workers that she stood with them.

"You have to say ... 'no' to efforts to prevent you from organizing, to prevent you from having the kind of working conditions you deserve, the kind of wages that are going to give you a living wage," Clinton said at the rally. "And that means saying 'no' to Donald Trump."

The Culinary Workers Union is Nevada's largest union and is a major player in Nevada politics. In the 2008 Democratic primary, it endorsed Barack Obama over Clinton.

The Trump campaign did not return a request for comment. Workers at Trump's hotel in Toronto voted to unionize nine months ago and recently ratified their first contract.

More: Workers At Donald Trump's Las Vegas Hotel Vote To Unionize

Why would workers at Trump's hotels vote to unionize if he was treating them so well?
Well good luck getting that contract.
And for what purpose?
These workers think they have gotten themselves something....The only thing they will get is another hand reaching into their pocket.
Nevada is a Right to Work state. Meaning. The workers are free to join or to refuse to join a labor collective.
Nevada is also an At Will Employment state recognizing the right of employers to discharge "for cause" any employee at any time for any reason.
Be that as it may. The employer is under no obligation to enter into any contract with a labor union.
Typically what happens in these cases is the workers may enlist their names with a union, but the workers will not be covered by any labor agreement until such time as BOTH parties reach an equitable settlement on terms. That could take YEARS.....
This is not a big deal....Look for the employer here to protect its interests and control its labor costs.

No sir, Big Government is to blame... Don't believe my just think of how much you hate Bush.

How is "big gov" to blame ?

Without unions the workers are powerless vs management .

Workers are becoming powerless anyway due to the visa programs, offshoring and outsourcing of jobs.
Don't forget illegals flooding the jobs market. The irony is many domestics positions in hotels are filled by low skill and sometimes illegal immigrants.

What's right with them?
Unions are archaic. Make up work rules that stifle productivity. Increase pay rates beyond prevailing market rates. Induce workers to become complacent with the knowledge that no matter how poorly they do their jobs they cannot be fired. Produce a system where those who perform far above standards are not recognized for their hard work and not compensated for their exceptional performance( No merit increases permitted).....The slackers are paid the same as the excellent workers.
Ok, so you now have the floor. Tell me, that is good about any of that?
Or are you simply going to deny these conditions occur? If you are, we have nothing to discuss.
because I worked in a union shop... I saw it all. I left that job and vowed never to join a union. Ever.

No sir, Big Government is to blame... Don't believe my just think of how much you hate Bush.

How is "big gov" to blame ?

Without unions the workers are powerless vs management .
See, that is the us vs them mentality of unions and union workers that has led to the downfall of organized labor.

It's great to read another group of workers have voted for their best interests and are joining the union.

Last week is was a portion of the workers in a VW factory. Now these workers in trump's hotels in Vegas.

I sure hope that this continues. We know the government, specifically the republicans, will do all they can to prevent unions and workers being treated fairly. Workers are doing it themselves by voting to join a union.

They aren't getting the government involved. They're doing what the republicans demand of them. Negotiate for better wages and benefits.
Blah blah blah...
What makes you think the presence of a union in this particular hotel or that VW plant is going to be in the best interests of the workers? Who told you that?
BTW, the VW plant thing is not over. VW has appealed. It could take years to hash out that case.

Without unions fighting for workers rights, we'd still be working longer hours for less money. Oh, maybe it was Karl Marx calling for shorter hours. Amazing how motor mouths like rush limbaugh have educated right wing working stiffs to work against their best interests.
Ok let's be realistic. with just over 7% of the nation's labor force part of labor collectives, how much influence can unions possible have?.....
My best interests are MY best interests. In other words, I'm on MY side. I neither need nor want some bunch of mooks telling me how much I am going to earn, where I can eat my lunch, who I can and cannot speak to while at work, tell me which entrance and exit of the building to use and all the other nonsense bullshit unions put people through.
And above all, I do not want some douche bag telling me or my boss that even if I do a great job, I cannot be compensated based on merit. Fuck that.
The way to get ahead and earn more is for the worker to show the employer his value to the company.

Forum List

Back