Women Giving up Seats on American Airliners for Religious Accomodation?

Just to keep things correct. I screwed up. It was United Airlines. Also from ALL accounts I can find -- the seat swap occurred AT THE GATE, just before boarding. So the monks must have inquired and made the request before boarding. And Buddhist monks DO wear Orange, Red, Gold robes and shirts. I'm not a monk expert. But I guess believe the account that they were monks.

Also -- the lady has not totally ruled out legal action. Which would be best way to get the airlines to have a coherent policy about accommodating requests like this. There's already law and no need for political pandering.

The more I think about it, the more I do not understand, and can't believe the airline did that.

Lots of times I've voluntarily changed seats to accommodate people. Even to a crappier seat. I think the problem is DEMANDING the seat change rather than asking for it.

I totally agree. If someone asks me (nicely), I doubt I'd have a problem accommodating. The airline really effed up on this one.

Interesting story today about a woman who was bumped from her seat, because 2 Pakistani monks did not not want to be seated next to a woman. This is the type of "religious accommodation" that is dangerous when it conflicts with American values about equality. Not serious if handled quietly and VOLUNTARILY. Plenty of room on a airliner to make these adjustments. But to bump a Million Mile flyer because a couple of guys are no fun and don't want to adhere to OUR culture --- is a bit disturbing.

Before anyone jumps to conclusion about it being a Pakistani thing, READ THE 2nd link.. It's not..

Calif. woman: Airline changed my seat to honor Pakistani monks' religious beliefs

COTO DE CAZA, Calif. -- A Southern California woman said she is the victim of discrimination, CBS Los Angeles reports. Mary Campos said her pre-booked ticket was given away by United Airlines. The reason? She’s a woman, and two men didn’t want to sit next to a female.

A million-mile flier, Campos, a mom who lives in Coto de Caza, said she thought she’d seen it all - until a gate agent handed her a new boarding pass just before she got on a flight to Houston last Monday.

She was shocked.

“I thought I lived in a culture where females were equal to men,” she said.

Campos is a senior consultant in the oil and gas industry. She said she had no choice but to take her new seat assignment.

That’s when she said she wrote a letter to the CEO of United Airlines.

The letter said, in part, “What if I were handicapped or transgender? What if your entire flight crew were female? Any belief that prevents individuals from interacting with females should not travel on commercial aircraft.”

She got a reply that said United would look into it. She said she didn’t hear from them again. “We can’t discriminate against half the population,” Campos said, “for a belief from another nation.”

CBS Los Angeles asked Campos if she intended on suing the airline, and she said that was not her intention. But she did want two things from United:

1) Apologize to every female that was on that plane, including their employees.
2) Change their policy.

The 2nd link shows that this issue has ALSO come with Orthodox Jewish men traveling on domestic flights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/10/u...-over-seat-assignments-and-religion.html?_r=0

Not cool..

She is lucky the Airline didn't throw her off the control tower...who the fuck does she think she is questioning the primacy of two men.........she needs to be taught her place in the new order.....

How would YOU handle this? The airlines need some help here. And I'm not against TRYING to accommodate preferences.

You put the men on a different flight...they have the issue, they need to make the accomodation.....not the woman or the Airline...

Just to keep things correct. I screwed up. It was United Airlines. Also from ALL accounts I can find -- the seat swap occurred AT THE GATE, just before boarding. So the monks must have inquired and made the request before boarding. And Buddhist monks DO wear Orange, Red, Gold robes and shirts. I'm not a monk expert. But I guess believe the account that they were monks.
Do you know for certain the "monks" in question are not Islamic? And are you certain that Buddhist men eschew women as well as Islamics do?

Also -- the lady has not totally ruled out legal action. Which would be best way to get the airlines to have a coherent policy about accommodating requests like this. There's already law and no need for political pandering.
Who is pandering?

Interesting story today about a woman who was bumped from her seat, because 2 Pakistani monks did not not want to be seated next to a woman. This is the type of "religious accommodation" that is dangerous when it conflicts with American values about equality. Not serious if handled quietly and VOLUNTARILY. Plenty of room on a airliner to make these adjustments. But to bump a Million Mile flyer because a couple of guys are no fun and don't want to adhere to OUR culture --- is a bit disturbing.

Before anyone jumps to conclusion about it being a Pakistani thing, READ THE 2nd link.. It's not..

Calif. woman: Airline changed my seat to honor Pakistani monks' religious beliefs

COTO DE CAZA, Calif. -- A Southern California woman said she is the victim of discrimination, CBS Los Angeles reports. Mary Campos said her pre-booked ticket was given away by United Airlines. The reason? She’s a woman, and two men didn’t want to sit next to a female.

A million-mile flier, Campos, a mom who lives in Coto de Caza, said she thought she’d seen it all - until a gate agent handed her a new boarding pass just before she got on a flight to Houston last Monday.

She was shocked.

Campos is a senior consultant in the oil and gas industry. She said she had no choice but to take her new seat assignment.

The letter said, in part, “What if I were handicapped or transgender? What if your entire flight crew were female? Any belief that prevents individuals from interacting with females should not travel on commercial aircraft.”

She got a reply that said United would look into it. She said she didn’t hear from them again. “We can’t discriminate against half the population,” Campos said, “for a belief from another nation.”

CBS Los Angeles asked Campos if she intended on suing the airline, and she said that was not her intention. But she did want two things from United:

2) Change their policy.

The 2nd link shows that this issue has ALSO come with Orthodox Jewish men traveling on domestic flights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/10/u...-over-seat-assignments-and-religion.html?_r=0

Not cool..

She is lucky the Airline didn't throw her off the control tower...who the fuck does she think she is questioning the primacy of two men.........she needs to be taught her place in the new order.....

I funnied your post. Now you have to promise me you were just kidding. :badgrin:

She needs to sue their asses......she needs to take a stand against this crap....

She was shocked.

2) Change their policy.

Not cool..

I funnied your post. Now you have to promise me you were just kidding. :badgrin:

I'm sorry....I can see why you thought I was joking....the punishment for this outrageous behavior by a female is actually stoning......sorry.......I hope that helps....

Do you know for certain the "monks" in question are not Islamic? And do you know that Buddhist men eschew women as well as Islamics do?

Who is pandering?

You ever SEEN an Islamic "monk" ?? :eusa_dance: Wearing "monk-like" orange robes with NO head covering?

Why is this so hard for you to wrap your brain around? Are you just disappointed that it isn't another Muslim bashing thread?

She needs to sue their asses......she needs to take a stand against this crap....
She needs to MAKE $$$$$$

She was shocked.

2) Change their policy.

Not cool..
If she supposedly flies a lot, she would have known to negotiate for an upgrade....either she's not very bright or was ok with it until she talked to someone and saw $$$.

Too many people under the impression that this is EXCLUSIVELY a "Muslim Issue". Read the damned OP -- BOTH LINKS...
If we are under a wrong impression please correct the error instead of just whining about it.

We have, and you've just continued to ignore it, because you really, really want them to be Muslims - it's harder to vomit vitriol against Buddhists, after all.

There is no such thing as a Islamic "monk".

Guys.....it is a democrat journalist reporting the story....they don't understand Islam any better than they understand any other issue....he probably called them monks because he was too lazy to look up Imam......

You ever SEEN an Islamic "monk" ??
No. But I'm neither an authority on the the rank structure of the Islamic faith, nor do I care to be. And while I did regard the designation as somewhat peculiar I allowed for designation error on the contributor's part.

:eusa_dance: Wearing "monk-like" orange robes with NO head covering?

Why is this so hard for you to wrap your brain around? Are you just disappointed that it isn't another Muslim bashing thread?
Are you certain the "monks" in question were not Islamics? Do you know for certain what they are?

Do you know for certain the "monks" in question are not Islamic? And are you certain that Buddhist men eschew women as well as Islamics do?

Who is pandering?

Maybe if I make flacaltenn's post bigger, you won't conveniently miss it.

Why Most Buddhist Nuns and Monks Are Celibate

In Theravada Buddhism monks are not permitted to so much as shake hands with a woman; nor may a nun touch a man. The revered Thai monk Ajaan Fuang (1915-1986) said, "The reason the Buddha didn't allow monks to touch women is not that there's anything wrong with women. It's because there's something wrong with the monks: They still have mental defilements, which is why they have to be kept under control." Mahayana celibate orders generally are not quite so strict about not touching.

Good God of Abraham people, stop seeing Muslims in every thread...

You ever SEEN an Islamic "monk" ??
No. But I'm neither an authority on the the rank structure of the Islamic faith, nor do I care to be. And while I did regard the designation as somewhat peculiar I allowed for designation error on the contributor's part.

:eusa_dance: Wearing "monk-like" orange robes with NO head covering?

Are you certain the "monks" in question were not Islamics? Do you know for certain what they are?

:lol::lol:

"If you can't prove they're not Muslims, then my hatred is justified"

Your utter lack of knowledge of Islam is readily apparent, you didn't need to advertise it.

Why Most Buddhist Nuns and Monks Are Celibate

In Theravada Buddhism monks are not permitted to so much as shake hands with a woman; nor may a nun touch a man. The revered Thai monk Ajaan Fuang (1915-1986) said, "The reason the Buddha didn't allow monks to touch women is not that there's anything wrong with women. It's because there's something wrong with the monks: They still have mental defilements, which is why they have to be kept under control." Mahayana celibate orders generally are not quite so strict about not touching.

Good God of Abraham people, stop seeing Muslims in every thread...

I had no idea that Buddhists were strict about that.

Forum List

Back