Women Giving up Seats on American Airliners for Religious Accomodation?

Why Most Buddhist Nuns and Monks Are Celibate

In Theravada Buddhism monks are not permitted to so much as shake hands with a woman; nor may a nun touch a man. The revered Thai monk Ajaan Fuang (1915-1986) said, "The reason the Buddha didn't allow monks to touch women is not that there's anything wrong with women. It's because there's something wrong with the monks: They still have mental defilements, which is why they have to be kept under control." Mahayana celibate orders generally are not quite so strict about not touching.

Good God of Abraham people, stop seeing Muslims in every thread...

I'm very familiar with Buddhist monks and nuns as well as Buddhism in general and I assure you there is absolutely NOTHING in their doctrine that inspires or commands violence against the unbeliever. Unlike Muhammad, Buddha was not a terrorist.

Again -- news identifies them as "monks".. If you can find a reference making them Muslims -- THEN you can take out your bias and sling it around.
What religion are they?

I'm assuming a Christian Sect in Pakistan. Because they are identified as monks. Islam doesn't HAVE monks.
When I get time I'll look into it.

Either that -- or the incident was reported in some "politically correct" way and lied about their affiliation..

The MSM would never do that, who am I kidding, I'm surprised they were not described as Hispanic looking

Jew, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim or whatever when people who fly on commercial flights they either need to make sure their preference and personal issues religious or otherwise can be dealt with before entering onto the plane or get whatever the flight attendants had out in the way of seating arrangements. That same theory should apply to buying services, products and accommodations. The local in state CAT and Komatsu dealers refused to return my phone calls for buying equipment or renting when I needed a piece of equipment larger and a little different than the one we owned I made a call south to the next state down and leased equipment from someone who did not mind doing business with a woman. One of the dealers in the state south of us remedied the situation in less than a day over the phone with a brand new machine that still had the plastic wrap on the seat. Some sects hate women. Its a personal problem they have.

Absolute bullshit, if 2 Pakistani monks did not not want to be seated next to a woman they should have bought 3 tickets.
This is not Pakistan and that is not the way it works here.

The more I think about it, the more I do not understand, and can't believe the airline did that.

Lots of times I've voluntarily changed seats to accommodate people. Even to a crappier seat. I think the problem is DEMANDING the seat change rather than asking for it.

Exactly. They should have given her the choice. You voluntarily gave up your seat. Whole different ball of wax there.

Hell NO. The airline should have never even burdened the woman with the question. The men should have paid for a new seat if one were available or taken another flight and risk the same issue, or just purchase the whole row. The airline, or any business, should not accommodate discrimination. And certainly the airline should not ask questions of there customers based in discrimination.

In Theravada Buddhism monks are not permitted to so much as shake hands with a woman; nor may a nun touch a man. The revered Thai monk Ajaan Fuang (1915-1986) said, "The reason the Buddha didn't allow monks to touch women is not that there's anything wrong with women. It's because there's something wrong with the monks: They still have mental defilements, which is why they have to be kept under control." Mahayana celibate orders generally are not quite so strict about not touching.

I'm very familiar with Buddhist monks and nuns as well as Buddhism in general and I assure you there is absolutely NOTHING in their doctrine that inspires or commands violence against the unbeliever. Unlike Muhammad, Buddha was not a terrorist.

Are we talking about VIOLENCE here? And what makes you think I didn't know the difference? And why is that relevant to being in the PROXIMITY of a woman stranger?

Are we talking about VIOLENCE here? And what makes you think I didn't know the difference? And why is that relevant to being in the PROXIMITY of a woman stranger?
We may have rabies and bite?

I wish you guys on the left would get over your accusations of " Islamaphobia" if Muslims have a PR problem it is of their own making. It really does not matter what religion or culture we are talking about, the airline discriminated against a person because of her sex. She should sue the shit out of the airline and the Pakastani men!

Interesting story today about a woman who was bumped from her seat, because 2 Pakistani monks did not not want to be seated next to a woman. This is the type of "religious accommodation" that is dangerous when it conflicts with American values about equality. Not serious if handled quietly and VOLUNTARILY. Plenty of room on a airliner to make these adjustments. But to bump a Million Mile flyer because a couple of guys are no fun and don't want to adhere to OUR culture --- is a bit disturbing.

For all you Liberal fools who claim there is no Sharia in America - welcome to Sharia.
How is that Sharia?

Some people apparently lose interest in
why didn't the Paki just buy the seats next to him?

For all these people with weird phobia's that's what they do... forcing a woman off the flight is just wrong. I didn't really fly United before but I certainly won't now.

you need to read the OP. She was not "forced off the flight". She was asked to trade seats.

She wasn't asked to trade seats. They just moved her. They should have told the paki's to take another flight that was less crowded.

Too many people under the impression that this is EXCLUSIVELY a "Muslim Issue". Read the damned OP -- BOTH LINKS...

Yeah I saw you carefully placed the Orthodox Jews in the same boat. Nice attempt to cover up for the Muslims.

We all can deal with little issues from Orthodox Jews from time to time because they don't bother anyone. Nor do they oppress, kill, or rape women and children. And yell from the roof tops about their blood lust for anyone not in their religion.

Do they even know these paki's were monks? Or was that just the ladies account? Based on what the gate agent told her?

Are we judging this off a quick judgement by a gate agent who was probably being yelled at in Arabic.

That poor woman losing her airline seat to some third world Islamic shithole people for religious purposes, versus the possible loss of her reproductive rights to Christians over here suggests that women have a long ways to go before they can claim some kind of equality with that of a man. Or corporate America.

That poor woman losing her airline seat to some third world Islamic shithole people for religious purposes, versus the possible loss of her reproductive rights to Christians over here suggests that women have a long ways to go before they can claim some kind of equality with that of a man. Or corporate America.
What reproductive rights do they have the possibility of losing exactly?

You can't possibly be that stupid.

You can't possibly be that stupid.
But you are!

Forum List

Back