Women, Do You Make Your Husbands Do Their Own Laundry?

Should The Husband Be Expected To Do Chores?

• Total voters
Yes, it is a bad thing to be going into a marriage with that mindset already in place. Going into such an intimate and long-term relationship with that sort of potentially-adversarial, "determined to maintain individuality" attitude is a recipe for failure. Marriage isn't like just moving in with a new roommate. You're supposed to be a team, becoming a fused unit.
Exactly.... like doing each others laundry

Yes, it is a bad thing to be going into a marriage with that mindset already in place. Going into such an intimate and long-term relationship with that sort of potentially-adversarial, "determined to maintain individuality" attitude is a recipe for failure. Marriage isn't like just moving in with a new roommate. You're supposed to be a team, becoming a fused unit.

With all due respect maybe you should have the mindset of the fact you don't know us so maybe you shouldn't be the one to judge us when we feel like we're being respectful towards one another.

Exactly.... like doing each others laundry

How many times now have I took back what I said in the OP by saying that we will be taking turns? At least three times maybe somewhere in-between the five to six ratio.

Never gone to bed angry in 48 years.
OMG... that brings memories.
My Grandfather, on mothers side, died in 1980. I remember their relationship as a kid. There was such love in that house.
At his funeral, my Grandmother in a little speech said, when asked "what was their secret".. she said "to never go to bed angry"
In all these years I never forgot that.
Awesome to hear someone else say those words.

OMG... that brings memories.
My Grandfather, on mothers side, died in 1980. I remember their relationship as a kid. There was such love in that house.
At his funeral, my Grandmother in a little speech said, when asked "what was their secret".. she said "to never go to bed angry"
In all these years I never forgot that.
Awesome to hear someone else say those words.
There might have been a case of being up for days from time to time though. LOL JK

Not only do I do laundry, if the washer breaks, I fix it.

Like a Man!
Broken washers have been very good to me.

If I see a washer, dryer, or stove on the side of the road I stop and throw it in the back of my pickup truck, fix it and sell it. Or just scavenge the parts if the body is all rusty.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. One sees a piece of junk, I see a $100 bill, cash, after I spend 20 minutes to fix it.

Usually there is only one bad part on them. And I've got all kinds of major appliance parts.

Last edited:
With all due respect maybe you should have the mindset of the fact you don't know us so maybe you shouldn't be the one to judge us when we feel like we're being respectful towards one another.

With all due respect, don't ask people's opinions and then get pissy when they disagree with what you wanted to hear.

I'll clean a toilet every once and awhile just because I cant stand a dirty toilet.
And I clean my sink and countertop. Our sinks are about 20 foot apart in the Master Bath and we both have our own counter,of course her countertop is three times the size of mine and she uses every friggen square inch of it.
There are two hanging caddys in my shower, with two shelves each, both full.

Those are for my wife. I get the little shelf in the shower.

With the exception of bedding which is done separately ... Laundry around here is usually done by whoever says,
"I'm doing a load of such and such ... You got anything that needs to go in with it?"

This. My wife's exercise clothes and thermal base layers get washed separately (they need to be washed differently-cold wash, gentle cycle, and dry on low, I think), otherwise, this is pretty much it. There is actually a load in the washer now (towels) that I started about 10 minutes ago.

I was so proud when we moved last summer. My husband and oldest son did the majority of the furniture, but then the hubby had to get back to work because he only had a couple of days off available to use. The rest of the moving fell largely to me and the boys. In 120-degree heat. I overheard my boys talking to each other about how they needed to work together to take most of the work on themselves so I wouldn't have to. My older son explained to his little brother that "that's what men do, protect their women." Those two worked like Trojans, lifting and toting so that I could concentrate on cleaning the old house to get the deposit back.

My wife and her father (in his 60s) moved our bedroom set-including the big, heavy dresser, with drawers still full-down from the second floor on their own. I had no say in it...I came home from work to the bedroom set (among other things) on the front porch and waiting to go into a truck. They did wait for me to get home to move her Nautilus machine, though. (Gee, thanks.)

I am currently engaged and this topic came up today when I was sorting laundry. Now, I believe in the idea that if somebody is able to do their own laundry then they should, so that's why I'm not going to do my man's laundry for him unless he's sick or he's busy doing other chores and asks me nicely to do it for him. Generally speaking I will expect him to pull his weight and do half of the work since it's the twenty-first century. Same with dishes and what not. What do you guys think?
How did you go from not being able to get a date to being engaged?

I use whatever is in the shower caddy.
Unless of course the Wife says not to use Her expensive super secret shampoo with 9 billion moisturizers and special herbs.

My husband and I use completely different products, because we have very different hair and skin issues. Obviously, as a woman, I have a lot more personal products than he does, but I try to make sure he has an ample amount of storage space for what he needs. He, on the other hand, uses up more closet space than I do, simply because he uses it for storage of his comic book collection and game stuff. It's a very careful balancing act, given how little storage space our current home has, and I'm looking forward to buying a house in the next couple of years so we have more room to work with.

With all due respect, don't ask people's opinions and then get pissy when they disagree with what you wanted to hear.
Someone said something like that to me once ---- If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!

Only smart thing the turkey ever said.

My husband and I use completely different products, because we have very different hair and skin issues. Obviously, as a woman, I have a lot more personal products than he does, but I try to make sure he has an ample amount of storage space for what he needs. He, on the other hand, uses up more closet space than I do, simply because he uses it for storage of his comic book collection and game stuff. It's a very careful balancing act, given how little storage space our current home has, and I'm looking forward to buying a house in the next couple of years so we have more room to work with.

The Wife's been talking a lot about decluttering and she wants to start with the closets.
Once I started thinking about I could get rid of 80% of my clothes easily since I only wear shorts,t shirts,flip flops,hiking boots and tennis shoes.
The only exception would be my hunting attire.

The Wife's been talking a lot about decluttering and she wants to start with the closets.
Once I started thinking about I could get rid of 80% of my clothes easily since I only wear shorts,t shirts,flip flops,hiking boots and tennis shoes.
The only exception would be my hunting attire.

Joe doesn't have a whole lot of clothes, because he really doesn't care that much about them, so he has a small section of shelves with storage boxes that he keeps them in. I have far more clothes, but not a lot of them really require hanging up, so the closet division wasn't the problem it could have been. And I do respect that he's been carefully collecting the comic books he loves since before we met, and they're important to him, and have specific storage requirements. Still, I will be happy when we have more room to work with.

Forum List

Back