Without Obamacare "I'd have lost the farm," says Alabama farmer.

Again, Obamacare fail and it still impacted me with increased premiums and out of pocket cost

-Geaux

The majority of the satisfied are non-working losers who have never paid for anything themselves.

:lmao: Well, that didn't take long!

Please explain how the farmer in the OP fits that category. Or supply data proving your monotonous and unoriginal talking point.

We both know you can't.

The rest of us, that is, the middle class and the working poor, are the ones that are getting the shaft.

You're getting the shaft because you can't be arsed to change insurers.

I'm middle class. I'm also an independent contractor. No sucking Daddy Employer teat for me. I have paid for my own insurance for almost 20 years. The difference between you and me is that one of us found a policy that's an excellent fit for my needs, while the other just keeps parroting bullshit.

Now, tell us again how a hard-working man losing his hands in a farming accident is "fluff" and "propaganda."

My bad...once more with content:

Without Obamacare 'I'd have lost the farm,' says Alabama farmer

Sometimes it helps to put a human face on the reasons why access to health insurance and affordable care is important.

Hank Adcock of Nectar lost half his right hand in a farming accident in June – but he'll tell anybody who will listen that he would have lost a lot more if it weren't for Obamacare.

"I'd a lost the farm, I guess," said Adcock.

The farm has been in his family for three generations, and Adcock has been working it for most of his 62 years. In June, both hands got caught in a hay baler while Adcock worked alone on Straight Mountain.

The machine yanked off his right ring and pinkie fingers, along with most of the muscle and bones connecting them to his wrist. He pulled the right hand out with his left, which then got caught, crushed and cut in the machine.

Adcock estimates that it took nearly 10 minutes to free himself from the machine. Then he wrapped up his mangled right hand and drove his truck – a stick shift – to the nearest house.

"Us country folk are tough," he said.

But they aren't particularly rich, which is why the Adcocks didn't have health coverage since the late 1980s. The family couldn't afford to pay nearly $1,200 a month for a policy.

The Obamacare policy they signed up for last year cost $102 a month, and it completely covered Hank's $63,000 hospital bill. Without it, the family could have been financially ruined.

"I tell everyone I can about Obamacare, but some people don't want nothing to do with it." Adcock said.

This year, even fewer people may be open to hearing his story. Experts are predicting slower enrollment in Alabama and across the nation in 2016. Open enrollment begins on Sunday.

Officials at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released estimates earlier this month that only about 1 million to 1.5 million people would gain health insurance through the marketplace this year. About 9 million gained coverage during the first two enrollment periods.

Marketplace coverage in Alabama has grown more slowly than the national average in the first two years of the program. Only 28 percent of eligible Alabamians have purchased coverage on the insurance exchange, compared to 36 percent nationwide, according to data from the Kaiser Family Foundation.

The uninsured rate in Alabama has fallen from 17.7 percent to 14.5 percent since the launch of Obamacare, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

In Alabama, about 160,000 people who haven't enrolled are eligible for tax credits that would offset the costs of healthcare coverage through the marketplace, according to Kaiser.

Those tax credits made it possible for the Adcocks to afford their Blue Cross health plan.

"I tell everyone I can about Obamacare, but some people don't want nothing to do with it." Adcock said.

An analysis of premium changes in 50 U.S. cities for 2016 shows that the benchmark silver plan – which is the most popular, will cost approximately 9 percent more next year in Birmingham, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. But customers eligible for tax credits could end up paying much less.

"While you are seeing premiums going up in Alabama, it's pretty much on par with the average you're seeing across the country," said Cynthia Cox, associate director of the Program for Study of Health Reform and Private Insurance at the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Growth has been slower in many of the states that didn't expand Medicaid. In many cases, people who would qualify for tax credits under Obamacare may not want to get coverage because they don't trust it, said Doug Hoffman, a navigator for Enroll Alabama.

Hank Adcock was wary of Obamacare coverage when he first spoke to Hoffman. His suspicions weren't driven by politics, but by concerns about the legitimacy of the coverage.

"There are just so many con artists out there these days," he said.

Although there is still distrust in Alabama, cost is not as big an obstacle as it is in parts of Tennessee, where premiums are expected to increase by more than 38 percent.

Many states with low enrollment are experiencing bigger increases in cost than Alabama, Cox said. One of the reasons that costs aren't increasing more may be due to the participation of the state's young people. Only about 28 percent of those enrolled nationwide are young, but in Alabama, it's 32 percent.

"Despite the relatively few people enrolled, Alabama has a large number of young adults," Cox said.

Many Alabamians who already have Obamacare coverage will be shopping for new policies this year. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama – which dominates the insurance market in the state – announced that it would discontinue its only platinum plan and one of its gold offerings. The more expensive plans are less popular with consumers than bronze and silver plans, and the insurer sought hefty premium increases in the summer.

The good news for customers who are reenrolling and looking for a different plan is that shopping on the marketplace seems to save customers money, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. In Alabama, customers who changed plans between 2014 and 2015 saved an average of $16 a month according to the department.

Hoffman said the state still struggles with a large number of people who fall into the "Medicaid gap." Since the state opted out of expanding Medicaid, many of its lowest-income residents who would have been covered by the program do not qualify for tax subsidies that would help them afford private insurance on the exchange. In Alabama, 185,000 people fall into the Medicaid gap.

"About half of them are working," Hoffman said.

The Adcocks could fall into that gap starting next year, with the decrease in income resulting from Hank's injury.

He and his wife Sharon will do whatever it takes to keep their income above the level required to qualify for tax credits. They are considering selling a couple cows.

"It's the best thing that ever happened to us," Adcock said. "We'll do anything to keep it."

The myth that "the only people benefiting from this are leeches who don't work and expect something for nothing" is just that.

So, I looked up the claim and interestingly enough it seems that the farm was only established in 2010. So, I am wondering how his family could have been "farming it for 3 generations" when it has only been around for a few years. Same guy as the one in the picture, so I am beginning to think there might just be a problem with this story.

That being said, of course some people are going to benefit. That was never in doubt. What is also not in doubt is that MORE people are being screwed, than helped.

Adcock Farms
Hank Adcock
2025 Joy Road
Hayden, AL 35079 - View Map
Phone: (205) 559-7579
Adcock Farms

A privately held company in Hayden, AL. Is this your business? Claim This Profile

More Details for Adcock Farms
Categorized under Farms. Our records show it was established in 2010 and incorporated in Alabama. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $1 to 2.5 million and employs a staff of approximately 1 to 4.

Company Contacts
Is this your business? Claim This Profile

http://www.manta.com/c/mr5vxws/adcock-farms

Sometimes it helps to put a human face on the reasons why access to health insurance and affordable care is important.

Hank Adcock of Nectar lost half his right hand in a farming accident in June – but he'll tell anybody who will listen that he would have lost a lot more if it weren't for Obamacare.

The farm has been in his family for three generations, and Adcock has been working it for most of his 62 years. In June, both hands got caught in a hay baler while Adcock worked alone on Straight Mountain.

The machine yanked off his right ring and pinkie fingers, along with most of the muscle and bones connecting them to his wrist. He pulled the right hand out with his left, which then got caught, crushed and cut in the machine.

Adcock estimates that it took nearly 10 minutes to free himself from the machine. Then he wrapped up his mangled right hand and drove his truck – a stick shift – to the nearest house.

But they aren't particularly rich, which is why the Adcocks didn't have health coverage since the late 1980s. The family couldn't afford to pay nearly $1,200 a month for a policy.

The Obamacare policy they signed up for last year cost $102 a month, and it completely covered Hank's $63,000 hospital bill. Without it, the family could have been financially ruined.

This year, even fewer people may be open to hearing his story. Experts are predicting slower enrollment in Alabama and across the nation in 2016. Open enrollment begins on Sunday.

Officials at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released estimates earlier this month that only about 1 million to 1.5 million people would gain health insurance through the marketplace this year. About 9 million gained coverage during the first two enrollment periods.

Marketplace coverage in Alabama has grown more slowly than the national average in the first two years of the program. Only 28 percent of eligible Alabamians have purchased coverage on the insurance exchange, compared to 36 percent nationwide, according to data from the Kaiser Family Foundation.

The uninsured rate in Alabama has fallen from 17.7 percent to 14.5 percent since the launch of Obamacare, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

In Alabama, about 160,000 people who haven't enrolled are eligible for tax credits that would offset the costs of healthcare coverage through the marketplace, according to Kaiser.

Those tax credits made it possible for the Adcocks to afford their Blue Cross health plan.

An analysis of premium changes in 50 U.S. cities for 2016 shows that the benchmark silver plan – which is the most popular, will cost approximately 9 percent more next year in Birmingham, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. But customers eligible for tax credits could end up paying much less.

"While you are seeing premiums going up in Alabama, it's pretty much on par with the average you're seeing across the country," said Cynthia Cox, associate director of the Program for Study of Health Reform and Private Insurance at the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Growth has been slower in many of the states that didn't expand Medicaid. In many cases, people who would qualify for tax credits under Obamacare may not want to get coverage because they don't trust it, said Doug Hoffman, a navigator for Enroll Alabama.

Hank Adcock was wary of Obamacare coverage when he first spoke to Hoffman. His suspicions weren't driven by politics, but by concerns about the legitimacy of the coverage.

Although there is still distrust in Alabama, cost is not as big an obstacle as it is in parts of Tennessee, where premiums are expected to increase by more than 38 percent.

Many states with low enrollment are experiencing bigger increases in cost than Alabama, Cox said. One of the reasons that costs aren't increasing more may be due to the participation of the state's young people. Only about 28 percent of those enrolled nationwide are young, but in Alabama, it's 32 percent.

"Despite the relatively few people enrolled, Alabama has a large number of young adults," Cox said.

Many Alabamians who already have Obamacare coverage will be shopping for new policies this year. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama – which dominates the insurance market in the state – announced that it would discontinue its only platinum plan and one of its gold offerings. The more expensive plans are less popular with consumers than bronze and silver plans, and the insurer sought hefty premium increases in the summer.

The good news for customers who are reenrolling and looking for a different plan is that shopping on the marketplace seems to save customers money, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. In Alabama, customers who changed plans between 2014 and 2015 saved an average of $16 a month according to the department.

Hoffman said the state still struggles with a large number of people who fall into the "Medicaid gap." Since the state opted out of expanding Medicaid, many of its lowest-income residents who would have been covered by the program do not qualify for tax subsidies that would help them afford private insurance on the exchange. In Alabama, 185,000 people fall into the Medicaid gap.

The Adcocks could fall into that gap starting next year, with the decrease in income resulting from Hank's injury.

He and his wife Sharon will do whatever it takes to keep their income above the level required to qualify for tax credits. They are considering selling a couple cows.

"It's the best thing that ever happened to us," Adcock said. "We'll do anything to keep it."

The myth that "the only people benefiting from this are leeches who don't work and expect something for nothing" is just that.

So, I looked up the claim and interestingly enough it seems that the farm was only established in 2010. So, I am wondering how his family could have been "farming it for 3 generations" when it has only been around for a few years. Same guy as the one in the picture, so I am beginning to think there might just be a problem with this story.

That being said, of course some people are going to benefit. That was never in doubt. What is also not in doubt is that MORE people are being screwed, than helped.

Adcock Farms
Hank Adcock
2025 Joy Road
Adcock Farms

A privately held company in Hayden, AL. Is this your business? Claim This Profile

Categorized under Farms. Our records show it was established in 2010 and incorporated in Alabama. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $1 to 2.5 million and employs a staff of approximately 1 to 4.

Company Contacts

So unless you see the bloody stumps of his hands you won't believe?

The majority of the satisfied are non-working losers who have never paid for anything themselves.

:lmao: Well, that didn't take long!

Please explain how the farmer in the OP fits that category. Or supply data proving your monotonous and unoriginal talking point.

We both know you can't.

The rest of us, that is, the middle class and the working poor, are the ones that are getting the shaft.

You're getting the shaft because you can't be arsed to change insurers.

I'm middle class. I'm also an independent contractor. No sucking Daddy Employer teat for me. I have paid for my own insurance for almost 20 years. The difference between you and me is that one of us found a policy that's an excellent fit for my needs, while the other just keeps parroting bullshit.

Now, tell us again how a hard-working man losing his hands in a farming accident is "fluff" and "propaganda."

When did I say the farmer fit in that category? I was talking about the stupid comment that "the majority creams themselves over the thought of free insurance".

What would medicare cover for the man? I'm sorry, you can't afford insurance, than medicaid is for you. Not my fucking problem and just because I planned my life to support myself, again, fuck everyone else problems....

They're not mine!

-Geaux

Do you have any idea how many "independent contractors" I have met who are exactly what you claim not to be...lazy, shiftless losers who don't pay their child support, can't support themselves..but who think that saying "I'm an independent contractor!" makes them look less like the losers they are?

When did I say the farmer fit in that category? I was talking about the stupid comment that "the majority creams themselves over the thought of free insurance".

Yes, you were. You'll talk about lots of things In an effort to avoid responding to Post 10. Do it again.

What would medicare cover for the man? I'm sorry, you can't afford insurance, than medicaid is for you. Not my fucking problem and just because I planned my life to support myself, again, fuck everyone else problems....

They're not mine!

-Geaux

They're yours if you understand that Medicaid is paid for by the taxpayer. Generally that's all you people care about. Don't let down the side now!

They're not mine!

-Geaux

They're yours if you understand that Medicaid is paid for by the taxpayer. Generally that's all you people care about. Don't let down the side now!

What did you miss about my earlier comments? I was paying taxes before, and my insurance was just fine thank you. However, as a result of Obamacare, that all changed so we still pay high taxes plus pay for deadbeats healthcare

-Geaux

Adcock Farms
Hank Adcock
2025 Joy Road
Adcock Farms

Company Contacts

There is a very old saying "Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus" which means a falsehood about one thing, means a falsehood about everything. The fact that the claim for a farm of three generations is false leads me to believe the whole thing is made up. Don't you? Or are you so invested in disseminating your propaganda that a clear case of false claims will be ignored by you?

Republicans always attack the poor and middle class workers. They want people to work but only want this so they work for the super rich...That is all that is all that matters to republicans.

Good to see Obamacare helping people.

Indeed? It actually is the Democrats who hurt the poor and working folks:

The Top 5 Ways Liberal Policies Hurt The Poor

Articles: Admitted: The Democratic Party Does Not Represent the Middle Class

Be strong and resolute: Democrat policies HURT the poor, minorities, middle class, our future

If Democrats want to appeal to the working class, they really need some policies that benefit the working class

But you idiots carry on anyway.

You know............I clicked on those links, and ALL of them are right wing opinion pieces and blogs.

Nice try.

Now why am I not surprised some Liberal wingnut would claim that? Not dispute the content mind you, but claim because it's from a sensible source, it has no value.
Here's some content for you: What do you think would have happened to Mr. Adcock if he'd had to have both hands amputated, couldn't pay the bill, and lost his farm?

To put it in terms that the Rightists understand: He'd end up on public assistance and adding to your tax burden.

Refute that.

Actually, I didn't read the article. There's too much on the news about Obamacare insurers going out of the business. Too many people losing their coverage.

Republicans always attack the poor and middle class workers. They want people to work but only want this so they work for the super rich...That is all that is all that matters to republicans.

Good to see Obamacare helping people.

Indeed? It actually is the Democrats who hurt the poor and working folks:

The Top 5 Ways Liberal Policies Hurt The Poor

Articles: Admitted: The Democratic Party Does Not Represent the Middle Class

Be strong and resolute: Democrat policies HURT the poor, minorities, middle class, our future

If Democrats want to appeal to the working class, they really need some policies that benefit the working class

But you idiots carry on anyway.

You know............I clicked on those links, and ALL of them are right wing opinion pieces and blogs.

Nice try.

Now why am I not surprised some Liberal wingnut would claim that? Not dispute the content mind you, but claim because it's from a sensible source, it has no value.
Here's some content for you: What do you think would have happened to Mr. Adcock if he'd had to have both hands amputated, couldn't pay the bill, and lost his farm?

To put it in terms that the Rightists understand: He'd end up on public assistance and adding to your tax burden.

Refute that.

So what? I was paying it before (taxes) yet had lower premiums for my healthcare plan. With O-Tardcare, my plan went up with no increase in coverage.

-Geaux

Me too. I've had my present policy for 20 years now. Obamacare changed nothing for me.

Adcock Farms
Hank Adcock
2025 Joy Road
Adcock Farms

Company Contacts

There is a very old saying "Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus" which means a falsehood about one thing, means a falsehood about everything. The fact that the claim for a farm of three generations is false leads me to believe the whole thing is made up. Don't you? Or are you so invested in disseminating your propaganda that a clear case of false claims will be ignored by you?

I'll commend you for your research into the provenance of the farm. I think the deception is a shame, because it'll be used as a baby/bathwater scenario. I very much doubt that he faked the injury, but I'm sure there are posters here who will claim he did.

Any added information you come across would be appreciated.

Adcock Farms
Hank Adcock
2025 Joy Road
Adcock Farms

Company Contacts

Insurers are dropping out of the Exchanges everyday. Folks who signed on just a year ago are having to look elsewhere for coverage. It's a total train wreck.

If Obamacare is suppose to relieve the burden on Medicaid, then how come since the abortion known as O-tardcare came along, there has been no tax relief considering the demand on Medicaid is suppose to be reduced?

-Geaux

Adcock Farms
Hank Adcock
2025 Joy Road
Adcock Farms

Company Contacts

I'll commend you for your research into the provenance of the farm. I think the deception is a shame, because it'll be used as a baby/bathwater scenario. I very much doubt that he faked the injury, but I'm sure there are posters here who will claim he did.

Any added information you come across would be appreciated.

A shame? That's the best you can muster? In a court of law everything this man said would be tossed out and he would have been tossed in the grey bar Hilton and the best you can come up with is "it's a shame"?

Here's the deal, when the propagandists must resort to outright lies, like this, to support what they are selling, they are losing. The PEOPLE of this country despise individuals who lie to them in this manner and they don't forget. Nor do they forgive.

You had best remember that...

Forum List

Back