Alabama uses controversial method for executions using nitrogen asphyxiation

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
Scheduled execution by asphyxiation using pure nitrogen of Kenneth Smith in Atmore

Alabama will help bring nitrogen asphyxiation executions to other states.
Scheduled execution by asphyxiation using pure nitrogen of Kenneth Smith in Atmore
By Jonathan Allen
(Reuters) - Alabama offered assistance on Friday to other U.S. states seeking to carry out executions using asphyxiation by nitrogen gas, a few hours after pioneering the new method to successfully kill Kenneth Smith, a prisoner condemned for a 1988 murder.
The state also promised more to come in Alabama: Attorney General Steve Marshall said that 43 other people on death row had chosen asphyxiation over lethal injections since lawmakers approved the method in 2018.

Alabama called the new method "humane," while human rights groups condemned it as cruel and torturous.
"I've got a remedy for the human rights group" said Marshall, a Republican, told reporters on Friday. "I suggest instead of using nitrogen, we use helium. That way, when the prisoner hears himself talk as if he was Alvin the Chipmunk, he will break down laughing hysterically as he breaths his last breath. It's a win/win. Roll Tide!!".

No word yet from the Human society on the new suggested method of execution.

Alabama will help bring nitrogen asphyxiation executions to other states.
By Jonathan Allen
(Reuters) - Alabama offered assistance on Friday to other U.S. states seeking to carry out executions using asphyxiation by nitrogen gas, a few hours after pioneering the new method to successfully kill Kenneth Smith, a prisoner condemned for a 1988 murder.
The state also promised more to come in Alabama: Attorney General Steve Marshall said that 43 other people on death row had chosen asphyxiation over lethal injections since lawmakers approved the method in 2018.

Alabama called the new method "humane," while human rights groups condemned it as cruel and torturous.
"I've got a remedy for the human rights group" said Marshall, a Republican, told reporters on Friday. "I suggest instead of using nitrogen, we use helium. That way, when the prisoner hears himself talk as if he was Alvin the Chipmunk, he will break down laughing hysterically as he breaths his last breath. It's a win/win. Roll Tide!!".

No word yet from the Human society on the new suggested method of execution.
KIlling people is bad. Even the bad ones.

I think sounding this would be more in line with helium overdose...and I remember seeing something somewhere that we just sold a big chunk of our helium reserve? :)

Well China needs it for their spy balloons. :laughing0301:

They should us an altitude chamber.
They would not have to use a gas.
And they would not have to use a mask.
It's painless.
They would just fall asleep.

Forum List

Back