With Obama too busy, the GOP tackles the REALLY big problems...

House panel passes college football playoff bill | Richmond Times-Dispatch

WASHINGTON -- A House subcommittee has approved legislation aimed at forcing college football to switch to a playoff system to determine a national champion.

The bill would ban the promotion of a postseason NCAA Division I football game as a national championship unless that title contest is the result of a playoff.

The measure passed by a voice vote today by a House Energy and Commerce Committee subcommittee.

The sponsor, GOP Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, said the current Bowl Championship Series is unfair and won't change unless prompted by Congress.

But some lawmakers on the subcommittee said Congress has better things to do than legislating on college football.

-- The Associated Press

Are you fucking kidding me?:eek:

This isn't surprising that government is trying to overstep it's authority. For years they have been trying to expand....but in College football? College football, for the love of God!
Not like they have any other issues on their plate. Nothing is immune from these bastards.

Between this legislation and their newly introduced Christmas legislation, how can anyone take these buffoons seriously?

From the LRC blog (emphasis mine):
The Evil Joe Barton, Conservative Texas Republican

Posted by Lew Rockwell on December 9, 2009 05:54 PM
I am watching this lizard on the progressive Ed Show on MSNBC. Like Obama, they both love the bill to force college football into a basketball-style playoff. But perhaps it is a useful reminder that in the united state of America, the government sees absolutely nothing beyond its command and control.
itsnotfascism-1.jpg

JohnRandolphSouthronPartisan

Last edited:
Why is it that most people act as though only Republicans bring up these needless and stupid arguments or whatever you want to call them in congress? How soon we forget the resolution by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) for the US Congress to Honor Micheal Jackson. Sorry folks but the stupidity runs rampant in Washington from both sides of the aisle.

Why is it that most people act as though only Republicans bring up these needless and stupid arguments or whatever you want to call them in congress? How soon we forget the resolution by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) for the US Congress to Honor Micheal Jackson. Sorry folks but the stupidity runs rampant in Washington from both sides of the aisle.

exactly....i have no doubt that there are dems in support of this bill as well....but many partisan hacks on this board fail to mention that and act as if only the GOP supports or that only the GOP is putting up stupid bills....

With Obama too busy, the GOP tackles the REALLY big problems.. House panel passes college football playoff bill | Richmond Times-Dispatch
First off, the schedule of the President has nothing to do with that of Congress. The President can be busy or not busy, makes no difference at all to the Congress.

Secondly, this bill was co-sponsored by Bobby Rush, (D-IL) so obviously it's not just the GOP who's taking this up.

Third, it would be a different story if it were the NFL, who actually got Congress in its business by petitioning for and having been granted Congressional antitrust protection. Therefore Congress has every right to monitor them and hold hearings, even make legislation regarding. However I have no earthly idea if there are any such protections or favors granted to the NCAA by Congress which would preface such action.

Fourth, I'm often amused by the fact that the NCAA has football playoffs for division 2 and 3, but not for division 1. They fail to realize, I guess, how much more revenue they could generate over the outdated and antiquated mostly political bowl system.

Clearly some constituents finally got the ear of these congressmen who sponsored this bill, and this is the result. Hearings before a subcommittee.

That's what Congress does. Didn't you see the "I'm just a bill" cartoon?

I agree 110%!

With Obama too busy, the GOP tackles the REALLY big problems.. House panel passes college football playoff bill | Richmond Times-Dispatch
First off, the schedule of the President has nothing to do with that of Congress. The President can be busy or not busy, makes no difference at all to the Congress.

Secondly, this bill was co-sponsored by Bobby Rush, (D-IL) so obviously it's not just the GOP who's taking this up.

Third, it would be a different story if it were the NFL, who actually got Congress in its business by petitioning for and having been granted Congressional antitrust protection. Therefore Congress has every right to monitor them and hold hearings, even make legislation regarding. However I have no earthly idea if there are any such protections or favors granted to the NCAA by Congress which would preface such action.

Fourth, I'm often amused by the fact that the NCAA has football playoffs for division 2 and 3, but not for division 1. They fail to realize, I guess, how much more revenue they could generate over the outdated and antiquated mostly political bowl system.

Clearly some constituents finally got the ear of these congressmen who sponsored this bill, and this is the result. Hearings before a subcommittee.

Do they still show that?

exactly....i have no doubt that there are dems in support of this bill as well....but many partisan hacks on this board fail to mention that and act as if only the GOP supports or that only the GOP is putting up stupid bills....

Members of the GOP DID in fact write and sponsor the Christmas legislation as well as the BCS legislation. Sorry.

I've looked and I can't find the article of the Constitution that says Congress has the authority to mess with college football. I guess since they go across state lines to play each other it must be the interstate commerce clause.

Do they still show that?
YouTube is your Huckleberry.

Members of the GOP DID in fact write and sponsor the Christmas legislation as well as the BCS legislation. Sorry.

And Democrats have never supported or written or co-sponsored any such BS right? :cuckoo::cuckoo:

House panel passes college football playoff bill | Richmond Times-Dispatch

WASHINGTON -- A House subcommittee has approved legislation aimed at forcing college football to switch to a playoff system to determine a national champion.

The bill would ban the promotion of a postseason NCAA Division I football game as a national championship unless that title contest is the result of a playoff.

The measure passed by a voice vote today by a House Energy and Commerce Committee subcommittee.

The sponsor, GOP Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, said the current Bowl Championship Series is unfair and won't change unless prompted by Congress.

But some lawmakers on the subcommittee said Congress has better things to do than legislating on college football.

-- The Associated Press

Are you fucking kidding me?:eek:

I believe Obama himself promoted the idea of forcing the BCS to change.

I bet it will get alot more support than Obama-care.

The BCS legislation was CO-SPONSORED and was one of the first bills introduced this session, way back on January 9.

I've looked and I can't find the article of the Constitution that says Congress has the authority to mess with college football. I guess since they go across state lines to play each other it must be the interstate commerce clause.
1/9/2009--Introduced.
College Football Playoff Act of 2009 - Prohibits promoting, marketing, or advertising a post-season National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) game as a championship or national championship game (or any merchandise that refers to the game as a championship or national championship game) unless such game is the final game of a single elimination post-season playoff system for which all NCAA Division I FBS conferences and unaffiliated Division I FBS teams are eligible. Treats a violation as an unfair or deceptive act or practice under the Federal Trade Commission Act. Makes this Act applicable to any game that occurs after January 31, 2011.
Unfair or deceptive trade practices.

1/9/2009--Introduced.
College Football Playoff Act of 2009 - Prohibits promoting, marketing, or advertising a post-season National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) game as a championship or national championship game (or any merchandise that refers to the game as a championship or national championship game) unless such game is the final game of a single elimination post-season playoff system for which all NCAA Division I FBS conferences and unaffiliated Division I FBS teams are eligible. Treats a violation as an unfair or deceptive act or practice under the Federal Trade Commission Act. Makes this Act applicable to any game that occurs after January 31, 2011.

Which doesn't answer the question of where they derive their authority to do this in the Constitution.

1/9/2009--Introduced.

Which doesn't answer the question of where they derive their authority to do this in the Constitution.
The Constitution does not enumerate Congress' authority, only specifically limits it.

Forum List

Back