Will the labor shortage now end? Millions of Americans Set to Lose Pandemic Unemployment Benefits Next Week, No Signs of States Extending

Most of the made in China stuff is no longer being manufactured outside of Asia. You don't have a choice in clothing, and low end toys or electronics.

Because the American consumer chose those products over the more expensive US products and it's still going on today. Vendors do not keep stock of low selling items. They keep stock of products that are selling well.

Come on man. You are being disingenuous. You know that for every dollar in deduction you reduce your net income by a dollar. And you also know that the government doesn't reimburse shit. I mean now you are just being silly.

Of course I know government doesn't reimburse shit, that's why people who claim tax write-offs were the key to companies getting filthy rich do not understand write-offs. I use them every year and have been for nearly 30 years now. And you do not reduce your income by a dollar for every dollar you spend, you just don't pay taxes on that dollar which like I said, doesn't amount to all that much. Your write-offs are deductions that create your adjusted gross income. You only pay taxes on that adjusted gross income. Your actual income doesn't really change.

Oh quit reading those commie sites like American Progress. They want to try and talk down anything good taking place under a Republican administration. If things were going so bad, we wouldn't have had the economy we did. Yet we had the best economy in 50 years with women and every minority group seeing record low unemployment since records were kept. Everybody benefited from those tax cuts.

View attachment 534658
Did Obama cut the corporate tax rate? Looks like wage growth was higher under Obama. And 3.1%? Wage growth in 2020, the year of the pandemic, was higher. at 4.0%.

Lol, you're economic knowledge fits in a thimble

I'll leave Ray to learn ya
You ain't got the sense of a retarded gnat. Ray is a rank amateur with no formal training. What do you know about the Philip's curve? How about the Cobweb theorem? Weighted average cost of capital? Monaco stimulations? How about Georgism? Ah hell, try this one on opportunity cost, some Economics professors fail it.

"You won a free ticket to see an Eric Clapton concert (which has no resale value). Bob Dylan is performing on the same night and is your next-best alternative activity. Tickets to see Dylan cost $40. On any given day, you would be willing to pay up to $50 to see Dylan (because he's so cool!). Assume there are no other costs of seeing either performer. Based on this information, what is the opportunity cost of seeing Eric Clapton? A. $0 B. $10 C. $40 D. $50"

I know that businesses worth working for have zero issues finding people. Those that are bad to work for are struggling...rightfully so.

You ain't got the sense of a retarded gnat. Ray is a rank amateur with no formal training. What do you know about the Philip's curve? How about the Cobweb theorem? Weighted average cost of capital? Monaco stimulations? How about Georgism? Ah hell, try this one on opportunity cost, some Economics professors fail it.

"You won a free ticket to see an Eric Clapton concert (which has no resale value). Bob Dylan is performing on the same night and is your next-best alternative activity. Tickets to see Dylan cost $40. On any given day, you would be willing to pay up to $50 to see Dylan (because he's so cool!). Assume there are no other costs of seeing either performer. Based on this information, what is the opportunity cost of seeing Eric Clapton? A. $0 B. $10 C. $40 D. $50"

He's eating you alive, I don't know Ray personally but I admire his economic knowledge, labor knowledge and most of all his common sense

You? You're a nut

Describe how my post is wrong. Do you think that employers should just assume they will find workers? If so, how? Why?

Nothing wrong with working. More pay work harder less pay....slow it down. Win for all

Did Obama cut the corporate tax rate? Looks like wage growth was higher under Obama. And 3.1%? Wage growth in 2020, the year of the pandemic, was higher. at 4.0%.

Which is as ignorant remark as when the left claims he added all these jobs. When wages are low due to a lot of people not working, it's only got one direction it can go when things improve. It's not going to get much lower. When a lot of people are working, wage growth decreases under normal circumstance. It's just as stupid as saying President Trump decreased unemployment by 7%. Well no shit. When covid hit it went up to 14%. It was not about to go any higher. It could only go one way and that is down which it did in a matter of a few months.

These vaccines have been under development since 2003, after the SARS outbreak and have been researched and tested for nearly 20 years. Searchers simply lacked a large group of test subjects to do mass testing on. The Covid epidemic has provided the large groups for mass testing required at the end of the process.

We had absolutely no idea of the long-term effects of the polio vaccine when I took it, nor any of the other vaccines that I was given in the 50s and 60s. The long term of the effect of these vaccines and drugs isn’t known for years after they’re administered in large numbers.

The rollout of these covid vaccines has been one of the safest and most effective in history, and with the fewest side effects.

But in order to make $400 a week at McD's, you'd have to work for 62 hours per week @ $7.50 per hour, to take home that amount, and you'd have child care and transportation expenses to pay off the top. And therein lies the problem. You really can't afford to work for $7.50 per hour, and the economy cannot afford to continue to subsidize McDonald's wages with Food Stamps and Section 8 vouchers, as well as Medicaid.

It is better and cheaper for the economy for McDonalds to pay front line workers first, and corporate last, instead of the other way around.

It is time for corporations such as McDonalds, to pay their employees $400 per week for a 40 hour week
Let's compare the Polio vaccine to the vaccines developed to fight Covid! The first Polio vaccine was developed in 1935 but it turned out to the cause of death for dozens of the children it was administered to and they stopped it's use! Jonus Salk developed the next Polio vaccine starting his research into it in 1947 and finally developing a safe vaccine six YEARS later in 1953! That's almost 20 years of searching for a vaccine that was safe.

Your claim that these current vaccines have been tested for nearly 20 years is a flat out lie, Dragonlady!

Which is as ignorant remark as when the left claims he added all these jobs. When wages are low due to a lot of people not working, it's only got one direction it can go when things improve. It's not going to get much lower. When a lot of people are working, wage growth decreases under normal circumstance. It's just as stupid as saying President Trump decreased unemployment by 7%. Well no shit. When covid hit it went up to 14%. It was not about to go any higher. It could only go one way and that is down which it did in a matter of a few months.
See there, that is where the lack of formal training shows up. No, the relationship between wages and unemployment is inverse. That is to say, when the unemployment rate is low, a lot of people working, wage growth increases. When the unemployment rate is high, a lot of people not working, wage growth slows or could even go negative.

But focusing on the unemployment rate itself can sometimes be misleading. The labor participation rate is the number that should be examined when it comes to wage growth. Remember that number? During the Obama administration you Republicans were all the time crowing about how low the labor participation rate was, wanting to focus on that instead of the low unemployment numbers. But during Trump's tenure, where the labor participation rate continued to decline, you Republicans suddenly forgot about it.

The labor participation rate has been declining for the last two decades. Now, there are some reasons that have nothing to do with wages that have contributed to that decline. First and foremost, the ACA, what you guys like to call Obamacare. And from my perspective, a low labor participation rate is a good thing, not a bad thing. But interestingly enough, another big factor is video games. Economists attribute up to two percentage points of the low participation rate directly to young males, less than 25, that would rather live in the parent's basement and play video games than work.

But here is the deal, wage growth was higher under Obama than Trump, and the labor participation rate was higher under Obama than Trump. That is counter intuitive, and speaks volumes to the ineffectiveness of Trump's economic policies, at least when it comes to Joe Sixpack, a demographic that Trump has been able to con quite effectively. Don't take it personal. You are one of my favorite posters here. But you are a clear example of the effectiveness of Trump's con game.

Today, we are at a come to Jesus moment for American business. The labor participation rate is at historical lows. Companies are going to have to increase their wages. They are going to have to increase their wages to get those young males out of the basement, away from Fortnite, and in the labor force. They are going to have to increase wages to get those individuals that previously worked just for health insurance, to reenter the labor force because they have the ACA. They are going have to increase wages to get individuals to stop working side hustles, perusing yard sales and selling on Ebay, driving for Uber, delivering groceries. Or even standing at busy intersections with a sign.

And yes, that is going to drive inflation. Which brings us to the Philip's curve which I mentioned in the post to the ever so dingy Irish girl. As inflation increases unemployment decreases. While a standard for most of the 20th century, the stagflation of the 70's called the Philip's curve into question. But that is another story. But there is a thread here talking about Chipotle increasing prices by four percent because of increased wages. But those increased wages are far higher than four percent. Walmart has just increased the minimum for warehouse workers to $20 an hour. Target is already there. That is from $15. I will take a 4% inflation rate in order to attain a 33% increase in wages every damn day.

Maybe, just maybe, Covid was God's way of leveling the playing field. For decades corporations have had the upper hand. Since Reagan to be blunt. But the ACA, Obamacare if you will, combined with the Covid pandemic, and supplemented with Fortnite, has suddenly changed the dynamics of the labor market, Honestly, I don't give two shits about who is president or who controls Congress. The rich have been getting richer and the poor poorer for too long. In the end, that doesn't speak well for any of us, regardless of your income or social status. We have reached a turning point, and from my perspective, it has been a long time coming.

See there, that is where the lack of formal training shows up. No, the relationship between wages and unemployment is inverse. That is to say, when the unemployment rate is low, a lot of people working, wage growth increases. When the unemployment rate is high, a lot of people not working, wage growth slows or could even go negative.

But focusing on the unemployment rate itself can sometimes be misleading. The labor participation rate is the number that should be examined when it comes to wage growth. Remember that number? During the Obama administration you Republicans were all the time crowing about how low the labor participation rate was, wanting to focus on that instead of the low unemployment numbers. But during Trump's tenure, where the labor participation rate continued to decline, you Republicans suddenly forgot about it.

The labor participation rate has been declining for the last two decades. Now, there are some reasons that have nothing to do with wages that have contributed to that decline. First and foremost, the ACA, what you guys like to call Obamacare. And from my perspective, a low labor participation rate is a good thing, not a bad thing. But interestingly enough, another big factor is video games. Economists attribute up to two percentage points of the low participation rate directly to young males, less than 25, that would rather live in the parent's basement and play video games than work.

But here is the deal, wage growth was higher under Obama than Trump, and the labor participation rate was higher under Obama than Trump. That is counter intuitive, and speaks volumes to the ineffectiveness of Trump's economic policies, at least when it comes to Joe Sixpack, a demographic that Trump has been able to con quite effectively. Don't take it personal. You are one of my favorite posters here. But you are a clear example of the effectiveness of Trump's con game.

Today, we are at a come to Jesus moment for American business. The labor participation rate is at historical lows. Companies are going to have to increase their wages. They are going to have to increase their wages to get those young males out of the basement, away from Fortnite, and in the labor force. They are going to have to increase wages to get those individuals that previously worked just for health insurance, to reenter the labor force because they have the ACA. They are going have to increase wages to get individuals to stop working side hustles, perusing yard sales and selling on Ebay, driving for Uber, delivering groceries. Or even standing at busy intersections with a sign.

And yes, that is going to drive inflation. Which brings us to the Philip's curve which I mentioned in the post to the ever so dingy Irish girl. As inflation increases unemployment decreases. While a standard for most of the 20th century, the stagflation of the 70's called the Philip's curve into question. But that is another story. But there is a thread here talking about Chipotle increasing prices by four percent because of increased wages. But those increased wages are far higher than four percent. Walmart has just increased the minimum for warehouse workers to $20 an hour. Target is already there. That is from $15. I will take a 4% inflation rate in order to attain a 33% increase in wages every damn day.

Maybe, just maybe, Covid was God's way of leveling the playing field. For decades corporations have had the upper hand. Since Reagan to be blunt. But the ACA, Obamacare if you will, combined with the Covid pandemic, and supplemented with Fortnite, has suddenly changed the dynamics of the labor market, Honestly, I don't give two shits about who is president or who controls Congress. The rich have been getting richer and the poor poorer for too long. In the end, that doesn't speak well for any of us, regardless of your income or social status. We have reached a turning point, and from my perspective, it has been a long time coming.

I made a typo when I said wages go down during strong economic times. My sugar was a little low when I was typing. In any case, this is not a normal situation as we've had in the past. Now government is competing against industry to keep workers home which they've been very successful at. See the jobs report for August? Not very impressive at all. So wages are going to increase which is also increasing inflation which is not a good thing for anybody.......well, perhaps a good thing for me since I'll get a hell of a cost of living increase on my SS in January if this keeps up.

Video games are a small part of weak labor participation rate. Besides us baby boomers retiring, we have a major drug problem in this country. Better jobs drug test in effort to get cheaper Workman's Compensation rates, and a lot of Americans can't get those jobs. When things were great under Trump, several of our customers were asking us if we knew anybody sober that's looking for a job. When they get people to answer their ad and tell them random drug tests are required to get and keep the job, the applicants leave the room. The tandem problem is that parents allow their kids to live with them until their 30's and even 40's. It wasn't like when I was a kid where the parents kicked you out after a time. You'd learn how to get off the dope real quick when you're out on the street, hungry and nowhere to go, so parents who accommodate this problem are just as responsible. Stay on dope, continue to work at the car wash, and give your parents some of that money for room and board.

0219c1.png

So true. Every fast food joint in my city closes early now because no one will work. It's about time.
They had to replace the adult deadweight...with high school kids here. The kids do a much much better job.....kick the adults off the government handouts but don't hire them back. I like being to get my unsweet teas with lemon right at McDonalds.

Forum List

Back