Will the labor shortage now end? Millions of Americans Set to Lose Pandemic Unemployment Benefits Next Week, No Signs of States Extending

ColonelAngus

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2015
This should HELP the economy SOME. The federal unemployment supplement has DESTROYED many small businesses.

Once again, the FED fucks up nearly everything it touches.

So true. Every fast food joint in my city closes early now because no one will work. It's about time.

Time to get back to work instead of coddle and become addicted to the government role.
We all have to admit that if it were us, we'd stay home for free too for as long as we could. And I don't even think the bonus money was still being given. That ended months ago. So these people are just getting the usual $. I think the max is $750 every 2 weeks. $10 x 80 hours is $800. You have to admit, you wouldn't go back to work for $50 if you didn't have to right?

It is absolutely fucked. And Biden should have NEVER extended it in March.
It is destroying whole industries and private businesses everywhere.
It took me over a month to get my truck fixed... short workers.
It took me a week and a half to het my HVAC looked at - short workers.
Many raw materials are in allocation... short workers.
Restaraunts closed/limited hours/limited menus - short workers.
The list never stops
It is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY pats time to get back to work

This should HELP the economy SOME. The federal unemployment supplement has DESTROYED many small businesses.

Once again, the FED fucks up nearly everything it touches.

Quoting from linked article,

While that may indicate the withdrawal of benefits is having some of the impact intended by the governors who cut off the stipend, and causing more people to seek employment, the numbers are small in a national labor force of 161 million and come with a cautionary note: Job gains in both groups of states were roughly the same.

I agree, it is time for this benefit to end. But don't look for any significant change in employment. You see companies complaining, and blaming that stipend, for their inability to attain labor. But the real problem is lack of wage growth. In an economy where increasing number of people are attaining income through side hustles, like Uber, Ebay, or Amazon delivery, there is no way in hell they are going back to the grind without a significant increase in pay. Even $15 an hour is not enough. Supply and demand, at current market wages there is little supply, eliminating that stipend is not going to change that dynamic.

It is absolutely fucked. And Biden should have NEVER extended it in March.
It is destroying whole industries and private businesses everywhere.
It took me over a month to get my truck fixed... short workers.
It took me a week and a half to het my HVAC looked at - short workers.
Many raw materials are in allocation... short workers.
Restaraunts closed/limited hours/limited menus - short workers.
The list never stops
It is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY pats time to get back to work
It almost makes me want illegals to come back.

We all have to admit that if it were us, we'd stay home for free too for as long as we could. And I don't even think the bonus money was still being given. That ended months ago. So these people are just getting the usual $. I think the max is $750 every 2 weeks. $10 x 80 hours is $800. You have to admit, you wouldn't go back to work for $50 if you didn't have to right?
You see the problem with your numbers don't you? Ten dollars, that is the problem. Hell, I would stand at a busy intersection with a sign before I would work for ten dollars an hour.

No I have a work ethic that was instilled in me at an early age and created my “go for it” nature that required lots of work and reaped lots of benefits
It’s a and maybe The core difference between me and your type who think sitting on their ass and “getting over” is a cool way to live

Quoting from linked article,

While that may indicate the withdrawal of benefits is having some of the impact intended by the governors who cut off the stipend, and causing more people to seek employment, the numbers are small in a national labor force of 161 million and come with a cautionary note: Job gains in both groups of states were roughly the same.

I agree, it is time for this benefit to end. But don't look for any significant change in employment. You see companies complaining, and blaming that stipend, for their inability to attain labor. But the real problem is lack of wage growth. In an economy where increasing number of people are attaining income through side hustles, like Uber, Ebay, or Amazon delivery, there is no way in hell they are going back to the grind without a significant increase in pay. Even $15 an hour is not enough. Supply and demand, at current market wages there is little supply, eliminating that stipend is not going to change that dynamic.
This. :yes_text12:

No I have a work ethic that was instilled in me at an early age and created my “go for it” nature that required lots of work and reaped lots of benefits
It’s a and maybe The core difference between me and your type who think sitting on their ass and “getting over” is a cool way to live
Oh, I love to work. And I work at full throttle. But I expect to get paid at least close to what I am worth.
sealybobo
Same where I live. Everyone is hiring but people are being paid big bucks to sit on their ass. Why work??

Glad that's coming to an end.
Yes, everyone is hiring, but a the low end of the wage scale, and there are no takers. In contrast, college graduates seeking entry level positions with salaries above fifty grand, good luck. Companies are highly selective. Like I said, in today's economy there are other ways to make money besides working for a W-2, and the people have figured that out. Until entry level wages are increased significantly companies will continue to struggle to meet staffing goals.

You see the problem with your numbers don't you? Ten dollars, that is the problem. Hell, I would stand at a busy intersection with a sign before I would work for ten dollars an hour.
That's what Auto workers said just before they organized. Only back then it was $2 hr.

Forum List

Back