WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange will be punished for embarrassing the DC establishment

This attempt by the US government to bring Assange to trial is more an attempt to get him found guilty to scare the media into never publishing any kind of classified information, ever. Assange is just the pawn.
Bullshit.

"The indictment alleges that in March 2010, Assange engaged in a conspiracy with Chelsea Manning, a former intelligence analyst in the U.S. Army, to assist Manning in cracking a password stored on U.S. Department of Defense computers connected to the Secret Internet Protocol Network (SIPRNet), a US government network used for classified documents and communications.

"Manning, who had access to the computers in connection with her duties as an intelligence analyst, was using the computers to download classified records to transmit to WikiLeaks.

"Cracking the password would have allowed Manning to log on to the computers under a username that did not belong to her. Such a deceptive measure would have made it more difficult for investigators to determine the source of the illegal disclosures.

"During the conspiracy, Manning and Assange engaged in real-time discussions regarding Manning's transmission of classified records to Assange. The discussions also reflect Assange actively encouraging Manning to provide more information.

"During an exchange, Manning told Assange that 'after this upload, that's all I really have got left.' To which Assange replied, 'curious eyes never run dry in my experience'.

"Assange is charged with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion and is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

"If convicted, he faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison. Actual sentences for federal crimes are typically less than the maximum penalties. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after taking into account the US Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors."

Being accused is not being guilty. After this much time I find it ludicrous to be going to all this effort when the max penalty is 5 years in a federal pen. Ergo, the government is teaching the media a lesson IMHO. But, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
It has nothing to do with publishing classified information so it cannot be a warning to the media.
It does not explicitly have to be about to activity they want to send a warning about

Manning was the thief and ultimately pardoned by Obama. Should we have prosecuted the NY Times for publishing the (stolen) "Ellsberg papers" during the Vietnam War?
Ellsberg had this to say about how Assange's arrest may play out over the next few months:

Daniel Ellsberg On Assange Arrest: The Beginning of the End For Press Freedom
DLY041119_ellsberg_assange.jpg

"It’s a very serious assault on the First Amendment. A clear attempt to rescind the freedom of the press, essentially.

"Up till now we’ve had a dozen or so indictments of sources, of which my prosecution is the very first prosecution of an American for disclosing information to the American public. And that was ended a couple of years later by governmental misconduct.

"There were two others before President Obama, and nine or so under President Obama, of sources, none of these having been tested in the Supreme Court yet as to their relation to the First Amendment. Hasn’t gone to them.

"This is the first indictment of a journalist and editor or publisher, Julian Assange.

"And if it’s successful it will not be the last.

"This is clearly is a part of President Trump’s war on the press, what he calls the enemy of the state. And if he succeeds in putting Julian Assange in prison, where I think he’ll be for life, if he goes there at all, probably the first charge against him is only a few years.

"But that’s probably just the first of many.

"In my own case, my first indictment was for three counts, felony counts. That was later expanded to 12 felony counts by the end of the year, for a possible 115-year sentence. So I think this is a warning shot across the bow of every editor and publisher in the country."

Calling Assange a journalist is like calling a drug dealer a retailer

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Manning was the thief and ultimately pardoned by Obama. Should we have prosecuted the NY Times for publishing the (stolen) "Ellsberg papers" during the Vietnam War?
Ellsberg had this to say about how Assange's arrest may play out over the next few months:

"It’s a very serious assault on the First Amendment. A clear attempt to rescind the freedom of the press, essentially.

"Up till now we’ve had a dozen or so indictments of sources, of which my prosecution is the very first prosecution of an American for disclosing information to the American public. And that was ended a couple of years later by governmental misconduct.

"There were two others before President Obama, and nine or so under President Obama, of sources, none of these having been tested in the Supreme Court yet as to their relation to the First Amendment. Hasn’t gone to them.

"This is the first indictment of a journalist and editor or publisher, Julian Assange.

"This is clearly is a part of President Trump’s war on the press, what he calls the enemy of the state. And if he succeeds in putting Julian Assange in prison, where I think he’ll be for life, if he goes there at all, probably the first charge against him is only a few years.

"In my own case, my first indictment was for three counts, felony counts. That was later expanded to 12 felony counts by the end of the year, for a possible 115-year sentence. So I think this is a warning shot across the bow of every editor and publisher in the country."

Would you consider him a publisher?

I consider him a fence, a person who deals in stolen merchandise.

You clearly are one violent ignorant dumb f**ker.

This from the fuck that worships a traitor to this nation.

Yeah we shouldn’t be told of the crimes our government commits against us. We need to be kept in the dark. So thinks the kooky statists.
Gipper you should read Gator again. He said: "Snowden is a traitor. He did a good thing exposing the NSA spying." He approved of exposing the NSA. Then he continued with the BUT as follows: "But he also stole more than 100,000 classified documents that he then used to trade for sanctuary in Russia. Giving them and China our secrets."

It is the second part of this paragraph you have overlooked. It is the trading of American secrets to our enemies that is the issue that set his anger into the red zone. And in addition I'd bet the ranch you'd scream to high heaven over the Pentagon papers, Iran-Contra, Watergate and a current President's business increases while in office. So you accusing Gator of wanting to keep government crimes in the dark rings a tad hollow at my house.
It’s that second half that is inaccurate. Everything was given to Greenwald before leaving Hong Kong. Snowden was in the airport in Moscow, transiting to S. America when his passport was cancelled and he was stranded. The Russian government granted him asylum as a thumb in the eye of the US government. The information was already outed.

Everything was not given to Greenwald, only a portion.

It doesn’t matter. The materials Snowden had belong to the people. The stinking lying criminal government you so dutifully obey, has no right to withhold their criminal actions from the people. Wake up dummy.

Yeah we shouldn’t be told of the crimes our government commits against us. We need to be kept in the dark. So thinks the kooky statists.
Gipper you should read Gator again. He said: "Snowden is a traitor. He did a good thing exposing the NSA spying." He approved of exposing the NSA. Then he continued with the BUT as follows: "But he also stole more than 100,000 classified documents that he then used to trade for sanctuary in Russia. Giving them and China our secrets."

It is the second part of this paragraph you have overlooked. It is the trading of American secrets to our enemies that is the issue that set his anger into the red zone. And in addition I'd bet the ranch you'd scream to high heaven over the Pentagon papers, Iran-Contra, Watergate and a current President's business increases while in office. So you accusing Gator of wanting to keep government crimes in the dark rings a tad hollow at my house.
It’s that second half that is inaccurate. Everything was given to Greenwald before leaving Hong Kong. Snowden was in the airport in Moscow, transiting to S. America when his passport was cancelled and he was stranded. The Russian government granted him asylum as a thumb in the eye of the US government. The information was already outed.

It doesn’t matter. The materials Snowden had belong to the people. The stinking lying criminal government you so dutifully obey, has no right to withhold their criminal actions from the people. Wake up dummy.

That is fucking bull shit. Should the “people” have been privy to the secrets of Operation Overlord prior to the invasion at Normandy?

Not all of what Snowden took dealt with their criminal actions. That is the problem, he took far more than he needed to to expose the NSA spying, and that is when he went from whistle blower to traitor.

I'm sure that what Assange did wasn't nearly as bad as his hard core detractors are claiming. His prosecution will be the result of exposing some of our government big boys to be the incompetent, corrupt buffoons they are.

That is fucking bull shit. Should the “people” have been privy to the secrets of Operation Overlord prior to the invasion at Normandy?

Not all of what Snowden took dealt with their criminal actions. That is the problem, he took far more than he needed to to expose the NSA spying, and that is when he went from whistle blower to traitor.

You aren’t really this dense, are you?

A government that operates in secret can never be trusted. This is evident to anyone with a brain.

You aren’t really this dense, are you?

A government that operates in secret can never be trusted. This is evident to anyone with a brain.

You are such a child. You think the military should publish its war plans prior to implementing them, and our spies should all be named in the paper along with the county they operate in.

Which stinking lying criminal government are you talking about? The one we have now seems to surpass all that came before it.

How funny to use “backbone” and Snowden in the same sentence. That fuck fled to our biggest rival taking more than 100,000 classified documents with him that he traded for sanctuary.

I would volunteer to put a bullet in that fucks head

You’re crazy, but maybe you know that.

To people like you, the truth is always crazy

You clearly are one violent ignorant dumb f**ker.
Jarhead mentality. Blind deference to the masters.

That jarhead mentality that gives you the freedom to be a pussy behind your computer worshiping a traitor

the only threat to freedom and liberty emanates from the governments in DC and state capitals and the glorified gate guards are it’s praetorian guard

This attempt by the US government to bring Assange to trial is more an attempt to get him found guilty to scare the media into never publishing any kind of classified information, ever. Assange is just the pawn.
Bullshit.

"The indictment alleges that in March 2010, Assange engaged in a conspiracy with Chelsea Manning, a former intelligence analyst in the U.S. Army, to assist Manning in cracking a password stored on U.S. Department of Defense computers connected to the Secret Internet Protocol Network (SIPRNet), a US government network used for classified documents and communications.

"Manning, who had access to the computers in connection with her duties as an intelligence analyst, was using the computers to download classified records to transmit to WikiLeaks.

"Cracking the password would have allowed Manning to log on to the computers under a username that did not belong to her. Such a deceptive measure would have made it more difficult for investigators to determine the source of the illegal disclosures.

"During the conspiracy, Manning and Assange engaged in real-time discussions regarding Manning's transmission of classified records to Assange. The discussions also reflect Assange actively encouraging Manning to provide more information.

"During an exchange, Manning told Assange that 'after this upload, that's all I really have got left.' To which Assange replied, 'curious eyes never run dry in my experience'.

"Assange is charged with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion and is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

"If convicted, he faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison. Actual sentences for federal crimes are typically less than the maximum penalties. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after taking into account the US Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors."

Being accused is not being guilty. After this much time I find it ludicrous to be going to all this effort when the max penalty is 5 years in a federal pen. Ergo, the government is teaching the media a lesson IMHO. But, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
It has nothing to do with publishing classified information so it cannot be a warning to the media.
It does not explicitly have to be about to activity they want to send a warning about
He is charged with conspiring to hack a government computer. Please explain how that is a warning to the media about what to publish.

They did, it was published in a cross word puzzle before the invasion took place

Which stinking lying criminal government are you talking about? The one we have now seems to surpass all that came before it.
The same government we have had for decades.

Bullshit.

He is charged with conspiring to hack a government computer. Please explain how that is a warning to the media about what to publish.
Anything that career politicians do not want you to know

consider him a fence, a person who deals in stolen merchandise.
Apparently, Assange is a difficult person to be around, but he may be more of a sacrificial goat in this particular instance, at least that's Daniel Ellsberg's opinion:

"So journalists in general, I think, should rally around this case, whatever they think of Julian himself. There’s a lot of people who don’t like Julian personally. I am not one of those. I do like him.

"There’s a lot of people who are very critical of his actions in the election of 2016, on various grounds. I’m not happy with the result to the extent that it in any way aided President Trump to become president.

"And Trump did, of course, state his love for Julian at one point. He said 'I love WikiLeaks' when it seemed to be helping him.

"But of course a promise of love from Donald Trump is not terribly reliable. We knew that already. So he’s willing to make him the sacrificial goat here, I think, for journalists in general."

Apparently, Assange is a difficult person to be around, but he may be more of a sacrificial goat in this particular instance, at least that's Daniel Ellsberg's opinion:

"So journalists in general, I think, should rally around this case, whatever they think of Julian himself. There’s a lot of people who don’t like Julian personally. I am not one of those. I do like him.

"There’s a lot of people who are very critical of his actions in the election of 2016, on various grounds. I’m not happy with the result to the extent that it in any way aided President Trump to become president.

"And Trump did, of course, state his love for Julian at one point. He said 'I love WikiLeaks' when it seemed to be helping him.

"But of course a promise of love from Donald Trump is not terribly reliable. We knew that already. So he’s willing to make him the sacrificial goat here, I think, for journalists in general."

Why do people keep calling Assange a journalists? A journalists writes stories and tells the news, all Assange does is publish stolen information.

That is like calling someone who post revenge porn against their Ex a "filmmaker".

Why do people keep calling Assange a journalists? A journalists writes stories and tells the news, all Assange does is publish stolen information.

That is like calling someone who post revenge porn against their Ex a "filmmaker".
Imho, it's a huge stretch to call Assange a journalist; however, he probably does qualify as a publisher.

"April 11, 2019

"This is the first indictment of a journalist and editor or publisher...And if it's successful it will not be the last."

I don't think Daniel Ellsberg qualified as a journalist, in fact he was a US military analyst in 1971 when released a top-secret Pentagon study on Vietnam War policy to the New York Times and other papers.

Had it not been for government misconduct, he would have spent the rest of his life in prison for making that information available to the American public.

Daniel Ellsberg - Wikipedia

Forum List

Back