Why the Need for "Safe Zones" at Universities?

What is the underlying rationale? It seems that students of all ethnicities are already able to associate in whatever groups they want, so what is the actual need for official "safe zones" where they can exclude other students? Even if it confers a feeling of empowerment on these students, what does it ultimately accomplish within an educational context? Will it improve academic performance, or does it provide an excuse for lack thereof?

I wonder if it is a result of overly aggressive diversity goals in admissions which place less prepared students in competition with better prepared students? This type of mismatch can result in hostility and resentment that fuels a self-defeating belief in one's victimization. Why not let students proceed at their own pace?
Pretty simple. From what i can gather people need a break from the constant microaggressions of whites and white males.
Meh. Conservative students deal with that constantly. I don't see anyone setting up safe zones for them.
Thats not really my concern. if they need safe zones then they are free to set one up.
Safe zones are a crock. I guess we could go back to the old days, where you could legally tell people you didn't want to hang out with to stay on "their side of the tracks".
You can still tell people that today. Of course someone such as yourself would get your ass beat but its still legal.
Why would I get beat up? I oppose that, as clearly demonstrated by my posts. Perhaps you're looking at your reflection?

What is the underlying rationale? It seems that students of all ethnicities are already able to associate in whatever groups they want, so what is the actual need for official "safe zones" where they can exclude other students? Even if it confers a feeling of empowerment on these students, what does it ultimately accomplish within an educational context? Will it improve academic performance, or does it provide an excuse for lack thereof?

I wonder if it is a result of overly aggressive diversity goals in admissions which place less prepared students in competition with better prepared students? This type of mismatch can result in hostility and resentment that fuels a self-defeating belief in one's victimization. Why not let students proceed at their own pace?
Pretty simple. From what i can gather people need a break from the constant microaggressions of male chauvinists, homophobes, whites, and white males.
Well Jefferson one could argue the Negro at least most are AFRAID to compete in an open world.
Do you really think capitalizing the word afraid gives you more credibility?
Well Jefferson there is no other reason.

The GOP obsession with "safe spaces" is ridiculous. Wtf do you care? Don't like a "safe space," then don't GO TO a safe space. Problem solved.
They care because it violates the spirit of the 1st Amendment by creating areas within a government entity in which political speech is restricted. Could a state university set up a safe zone for Christian students in which only church approved speech could be heard? And would the response be, "If you don't like it, don't go there"?
Wtf? You don't even know what a "safe zone" is. If a Christian group gets together, and people aren't allowed to go in and disrupt it... guess what - that's a safe space. Happens all the time.
Officially sanctioned by the state run school, on school grounds? Where is this happening?
On literally every single college campus in America.
Examples, please. Give evidence that state run universities in America are setting up safe zones for Christian students where they don't have to hear offensive things.

Pretty simple. From what i can gather people need a break from the constant microaggressions of whites and white males.
Meh. Conservative students deal with that constantly. I don't see anyone setting up safe zones for them.
Thats not really my concern. if they need safe zones then they are free to set one up.
Safe zones are a crock. I guess we could go back to the old days, where you could legally tell people you didn't want to hang out with to stay on "their side of the tracks".
You can still tell people that today. Of course someone such as yourself would get your ass beat but its still legal.
Why would I get beat up? I oppose that, as clearly demonstrated by my posts. Perhaps you're looking at your reflection?
You would get your ass beat for being disrespectful enough to tell someone that assuming you didnt pick an old lady. Are you deflecting because I hurt your feelings or because you were embarrassed you didnt realize it was legal?

Pretty simple. From what i can gather people need a break from the constant microaggressions of male chauvinists, homophobes, whites, and white males.
Well Jefferson one could argue the Negro at least most are AFRAID to compete in an open world.
Do you really think capitalizing the word afraid gives you more credibility?
Well Jefferson there is no other reason.
Well Opi the reason is you are afraid to compete.

The GOP obsession with "safe spaces" is ridiculous. Wtf do you care? Don't like a "safe space," then don't GO TO a safe space. Problem solved.
They care because it violates the spirit of the 1st Amendment by creating areas within a government entity in which political speech is restricted. Could a state university set up a safe zone for Christian students in which only church approved speech could be heard? And would the response be, "If you don't like it, don't go there"?
Wtf? You don't even know what a "safe zone" is. If a Christian group gets together, and people aren't allowed to go in and disrupt it... guess what - that's a safe space. Happens all the time.
Officially sanctioned by the state run school, on school grounds? Where is this happening?
Examples, please. Give evidence that state run universities in America are setting up safe zones for Christian students where they don't have to hear offensive things.
What do you want a link to? Bible studies? Christian clubs?

Maybe it would be easier for you to provide a link where a college has banned Christianity.

:rolleyes:

12512335_1121180267941104_156665267978067973_n.jpg

You would get your ass beat for being disrespectful enough to tell someone that assuming you didnt pick an old lady. Are you deflecting because I hurt your feelings or because you were embarrassed you didnt realize it was legal?
I'm not deflecting because I would not tell people to stay on their side of the tracks. That's something segregationists would say, and I'm not a segregationist. As for being legal, try telling a black home buyer that he should not bother to make an offer on a house because it's on the wrong side of the tracks. I'll wait.

What do you want a link to? Bible studies? Christian clubs?

Maybe it would be easier for you to provide a link where a college has banned Christianity.

:rolleyes:
Give evidence that a state run university is setting up safe zones for Christian students where they don't have to hear things they don't like. Private Bible studies and clubs not sponsored by or affiliated with the university don't count.

I'm not deflecting because I would not tell people to stay on their side of the tracks. That's something segregationists would say, and I'm not a segregationist. As for being legal, try telling a black home buyer that he should not bother to make an offer on a house because it's on the wrong side of the tracks. I'll wait.
Are you trying to equate telling a Black person to stay on their side of the tracks to discriminating against a Black home buyer? Someone should knock on your door and then knee your little ass in the throat for that obvious deflection. :laugh:

Undergraduate SafeZones is a student run organization at Washington University in St. Louis established in 2005. We are dedicated to promoting awareness and discussion about lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual, and ally (LGBTQIA*) issues. Through educational programs, we hope to provide a means for students of all identities to confront the issues they face and to educate the community. We have trained a variety of groups and communities on campus, including Freshmen Floors, RAs, Greek Life organizations, Sports teams, Pre-Orientation programs, and student groups.
Faculty/Staff SafeZones: The primary aim of the Faculty/Staff SafeZones Training Program is to promote safer and more secure living, learning, and research environments for Washington University’s LGBTQIA* students. We offer peer-to-peer trainings for Faculty, Staff, and Graduate Teaching Assistants across all Washington University campuses.

SafeZones at Washington University in St. Louis | Washington University's LGBTQIA* Peer Facilitation Groups (Undergraduate and Faculty/Staff)

Safe Zones are training programs to raise awareness on LGBT issues and they are not particular locations or rooms, where gay students can segregate themselves from other students.

Are you trying to equate telling a Black person to stay on their side of the tracks to discriminating against a Black home buyer? Someone should knock on your door and then knee your little ass in the throat for that obvious deflection. :laugh:
Awwww, look at you, wishing violence on me. How sad and predictably juvenile. Anyway, none of what you have attempted to do has detracted in any way from my original statement, namely, that safe zones are a crock.

Awwww, look at you, wishing violence on me. How sad and predictably juvenile. Anyway, none of what you have attempted to do has detracted in any way from my original statement, namely, that safe zones are a crock.
Detracted? Your opinion was already without value. No need to detract from it any further than you did by saying it.

Forum List

Back