Why should government be kept smaller, and restricted to only certain tasks?

Wealthy, exclusive communities or built up by a business entity for profit.

The challenge was to provide examples of communities where the infrastructure was not built by the government. I succeeded, and all the "Government is great" crowd can do is whinge about how I cheated.

Anyone who even THINKS all government is great is lacking a great deal of information.
Anyone who thinks we need minimal government and yet supports a global military usually only cares about their stock portfolio.

Anyone who posts drivel like that in response to one of my posts is an idiot.

The challenge was to provide examples of communities where the infrastructure was not built by the government. I succeeded, and all the "Government is great" crowd can do is whinge about how I cheated.

Anyone who even THINKS all government is great is lacking a great deal of information.
Anyone who thinks we need minimal government and yet supports a global military usually only cares about their stock portfolio.

Anyone who posts drivel like that in response to one of my posts is an idiot.

Resorting to an ad hominem...interesting.

Don't confuse him with facts.

Developers are required to build all the infrastructure when they build, out of their own pocket, but he wants to give the government all the credit.

Then the cost is written-off which is unrealized revenue. Unrealized revenue has to be made up somewhere, namely taxpayers.

Unrealized revenue?

When I took accounting a few decades ago I was told that accrued revenue was an asset. Did they change the rules at some point, or are you just full of shit?

Accrued revenue will be realized at some point. Unrealized will NEVER be realized.

Off the top of my head? Lake Buena Vista, Bay Lake, and the Reedy Creek Improvement District in Florida. If you want more examples of what is colloquially known as a company town, let me know.

Not even close.

A GATED community; are you for real?
How about a NON-Gated community?

What about it? Yes, gate communities are for real. The argument BottomOnePercenter is trying to make is that only government builds infrastructure. I just proved him wrong.

Gated communities are PRIVATE; as in NOT used by the general public.
They are for profit and good for the developer.
And once again, are purely for profit and NOT for public access.
Next!

That they are PRIVATE is the whole point, isn't it? For all intents and purposes, the streets in a typical neighborhood serve the local residents in exactly the same fashion as the streets in a gated community. There is very little difference in the profile of the users. Furthermore, there are many communities that aren't gated where the developer has built and paid for all the streets. Typically, the developer builds the streets in a housing or commercial development.

When I was a construction worker, I helped to build an elementary school in a new housing development. The developer designed and built the school and paid for it. Also, I worked on the construction of a number of office parks, and in those cases the developer built and paid for all the local streets. The developer built the streets, the fire hidrands, the water and sewage, the fire stations, and even the freeway overpass that allowed drivers to get off the freeway and enter the development.

The liberal belief that government builds local infrastructure is almost entirely a myth.

The fact that it's for profit is precisely the point. You and the other knucklehead are trying to prove that the profit motive doesn't work when it comes to infrastructure.

Built by, but paid for by the government. Even private streets.

Off the top of my head? Lake Buena Vista, Bay Lake, and the Reedy Creek Improvement District in Florida. If you want more examples of what is colloquially known as a company town, let me know.

All were written-off by the developers.

The entire development is "written off." You obviously think that is some kind of magic which means the developer doesn't have to pay for it.

Which community in the US hasn't had infrastructure provided by private companies?

Name an infrastructure built by a private company.
The overwhelming number of "Walmarts" will not only NOT build the infrastructure necessary to build their store, they make deals to avoid taxes for x number of years; THEN they teach their underpaid employees how to go on welfare and food stamps.

This is called CORPORATE welfare.

And, for those tax breaks, they pay for improvements to the surrounding roads, any upgrades that are required to control traffic, all the new sewer and other utilities they will need, and still have to throw in open green spaces.

They aren't "tax breaks." They are ordinary business costs, just as labor and materials is a business cost.

Built by, but paid for by the government. Even private streets.

Every community is built by a business entity for profit. Do you think the company that built the house you live in didn't make a profit on it? That developer also built the street in front of your house.

Nope. The streets in the gated community where I lived were built and paid for by the developer. So was the community pool and the tennis courts.

Developers are required to build all the infrastructure when they build, out of their own pocket, but he wants to give the government all the credit.

Then the cost is written-off which is unrealized revenue. Unrealized revenue has to be made up somewhere, namely taxpayers.

It's not revenue. It's a business expense, just as putting the sod on the lawns in the development is a business expense.

Unrealized revenue?

When I took accounting a few decades ago I was told that accrued revenue was an asset. Did they change the rules at some point, or are you just full of shit?

He obviously doesn't know the first thing about business accounting or taxation.

What about it? Yes, gate communities are for real. The argument BottomOnePercenter is trying to make is that only government builds infrastructure. I just proved him wrong.

Gated communities are PRIVATE; as in NOT used by the general public.
They are for profit and good for the developer.
And once again, are purely for profit and NOT for public access.
Next!

That they are PRIVATE is the whole point, isn't it? For all intents and purposes, the streets in a typical neighborhood serve the local residents in exactly the same fashion as the streets in a gated community. There is very little difference in the profile of the users. Furthermore, there are many communities that aren't gated where the developer has built and paid for all the streets. Typically, the developer builds the streets in a housing or commercial development.

When I was a construction worker, I helped to build an elementary school in a new housing development. The developer designed and built the school and paid for it. Also, I worked on the construction of a number of office parks, and in those cases the developer built and paid for all the local streets. The developer built the streets, the fire hidrands, the water and sewage, the fire stations, and even the freeway overpass that allowed drivers to get off the freeway and enter the development.

The liberal belief that government builds local infrastructure is almost entirely a myth.

The fact that it's for profit is precisely the point. You and the other knucklehead are trying to prove that the profit motive doesn't work when it comes to infrastructure.

Another one resorting to ad hominem...Interesting.

The overwhelming majority of roads today have LOTS of cars from lots of DIFFERENT neighborhoods traveling on them.
To equate PRIVATE areas with non-private areas is ridiculous.
I deal with construction all the time and every developer gets INCREDIBLE tax breaks considering that the infrastructure surrounding and APART from the developers construction IS REQUIRED in order to access the developers property.

Municipal, State and Federal Government builds local infrastructure; whether YOU want to accept that reality is YOUR business.

So you would turn the world over to the terrorists, the Chinese and the Russians to run?

Unrealized revenue?

He obviously doesn't know the first thing about business accounting or taxation.

I'm always fascinated by the fact that Conservatives use Accounting Rules for themselves but dismiss those same rules when they collide with their ideology.

Unrealized revenue?

Accrued revenue will be realized at some point. Unrealized will NEVER be realized.

There is no "revenue accrued" when the developer builds a local street. It's an expense. There is no revenue.

Unrealized revenue?

I'm always fascinated by the fact that Conservatives use Accounting Rules for themselves but dismiss those same rules when they collide with their ideology.

Where do they collide with my ideology?

Unrealized revenue?

There is no "revenue accrued" when the developer builds a local street. It's an expense. There is no revenue.

That's not really the issue.
Ask your local Assembly person if the developer is exempt from certain utilities (Gas, Electric, Water) for a certain period of time; perhaps 10 years or so.
It could be that your locality doesn't deal like that; many do.
That utility payment has to come from somewhere.

Forum List

Back