Why is tobacco legal? Because politicians do not care

Bassman007

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2015
Tobacco kills 1315 Americans EVERY SINGLE DAY, why is this legal

CDC - Fact Sheet - Fast Facts - Smoking & Tobacco Use
Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death.
  • Worldwide, tobacco use causes nearly 6 million deaths per year, and current trends show that tobacco use will cause more than 8 million deaths annually by 2030.2
  • Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including nearly 42,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.1
  • On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.3
  • If smoking continues at the current rate among U.S. youth, 5.6 million of today’s Americans younger than 18 years of age are expected to die prematurely from a smoking-related illness. This represents about one in every 13 Americans aged 17 years or younger who are alive today.1

Let people do what they want as long as they can pay for the consequences.

Texting/cell phone, no seat belt, baby not in a seat, etc in a car
Smoking
Carrying a gun

Those are all things that are likely to cause illness or harm to oneself or others. Carry insurance so others don't have to pay for your stupidity. And require that these dangerous behaviors are not allowed near others.

• Banned
Let people do what they want as long as they can pay for the consequences.

Texting/cell phone, no seat belt, baby not in a seat, etc in a car
Smoking
Carrying a gun

Those are all things that are likely to cause illness or harm to oneself or others. Carry insurance so others don't have to pay for your stupidity. And require that these dangerous behaviors are not allowed near others.
We all pay for smokers choices though

• Worldwide, tobacco use causes nearly 6 million deaths per year, and current trends show that tobacco use will cause more than 8 million deaths annually by 2030.2
  • Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including nearly 42,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.1
  • If smoking continues at the current rate among U.S. youth, 5.6 million of today’s Americans younger than 18 years of age are expected to die prematurely from a smoking-related illness. This represents about one in every 13 Americans aged 17 years or younger who are alive today.1

Yes it's government's job to take care of us and make our decisions for us when we make bad decisions. Grow a pair, Phyllis, and make your own choices

• Banned

Yes it's government's job to take care of us and make our decisions for us when we make bad decisions. Grow a pair, Phyllis, and make your own choices
What brand of death do you smoke

I average about a cigar a week. But I only smoke outside in nice weather when I have time to enjoy it, so my potential to smoke more cigars is severely limited.

And what a stupid comment. My choices are that I smoke cigs or I want them illegal? I don't get the option of saying what I smoke is up to me and what other's smoke is up to them? What a load ...

I average about a cigar a week. But I only smoke outside in nice weather when I have time to enjoy it, so my potential to smoke more cigars is severely limited.

And what a stupid comment. My choices are that I smoke cigs or I want them illegal? I don't get the option of saying what I smoke is up to me and what other's smoke is up to them? What a load ...

Why do other people have to pay for smokers choices?

Life kills 151,600 people in the world every day.

Life kills 151,600 people in the world every day.
Nothing kills more people than tobacco, it's not up for debate.

can't babyproof the world.
Heroin if legal would kill less people

I'm now supporting a complete decriminalisation of all drugs, I never used to support this, but I am now.

I've been reading about this situation for a while and when all drugs were pretty much legal, there were less deaths due to those drugs and in the specific case of Heroin, there were less actual Junkies, once the latter was made illegal, the number of actual Junkies jumped significantly, along with the number of deaths due to crap the Black Market cuts Heroin with to sell on the streets.

Prohibition never works, it didn't work with alcohol, it's not worked with drugs.

I disagree with making drugs illegal... and that's because you can't make the world stupid proof. It's not the government's job to protect us from ourselves, that's our own responsibility.

Also because if they were legal, you can put a massive tax on them, and it would destroy the illegal drug industry.

Maybe because a huge part of the cost of these babies is taxes.
Does anyone think the government can turn down that huge $$$$ revenue....

I smoke myself, I smoke Gauloises Blondes, although because of my condition I can't smoke for a while.

So my main cigarette holder sits alone in it's case, until it and I can reunite with a lovely Gauloises Blonde.

My cigarette case also remains empty until that wonderful day.

HG0000290.jpg

I've got about 40 cigarette holders, all short, I can't stand the long holders, they look ridiculous. I've bought all of the below short holders.

Denicotea_Holder_Black_Tip_(md).jpg

cigrattee%20holder.jpg

39-wooden-short-cigarette-holder-for-slim-cigarettes.jpg

I smoke myself, I smoke Gauloises Blondes, although because of my condition I can't smoke for a while.

So my main cigarette holder sits alone in it's case, until it and I can reunite with a lovely Gauloises Blonde.

HG0000290.jpg

I've got about 40 cigarette holders, all short, I can't stand the long holders, they look ridiculous. I've bought all of the below short holders.

cigrattee%20holder.jpg

Those work well with joints also..

HG0000290.jpg

cigrattee%20holder.jpg

When I was in Texas, I would purchase Camel Turkish Gold, so those are what I smoked during my time in the great State of Texas, I love the Texans, we got along very well with each other, all Texans I met, we liked each other :smile:

CamelTurkishGold-20fUS2006.jpg

Forum List

Back