Zone1 Why is There a Klan Symbol on Government Property?

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015

West Point is displaying a Ku Klux Klan plaque at entrance to Science building, Congressional Naming Commission finds​

West Point, the United States Military Academy, has a plaque with the name Ku Klux Klan written out and a hooded figure displayed at the entrance to Bartlett Hall, the science center on the military academy’s campus, according to a new report from the Congressional Naming Commission.

1662058692374.png

After reading the full article I would be against it's removal. The reason given for it being there is legitimate and makes sense . In general I am against censorship including historical references.

West Point is displaying a Ku Klux Klan plaque at entrance to Science building, Congressional Naming Commission finds​

West Point, the United States Military Academy, has a plaque with the name Ku Klux Klan written out and a hooded figure displayed at the entrance to Bartlett Hall, the science center on the military academy’s campus, according to a new report from the Congressional Naming Commission.

So..who is the sculptor? Laura Gardin Fraser--she died in 1966...months after completing this lil gem. It would appear that she had a soft spot for those traitors we call the Confederacy and apparently for those who fought Reconstruction reform..and basically won. How we can celebrate traitors at our military academy astounds me.

Although recognized principally for her medallic contributions,[4] Laura won outstanding commissions for heroic-size sculpture. Of these, the most notable was her winning the competition for a double equestrian statue of Generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson in Baltimore. The competition was held in 1936 and six eminent American sculptors, Lee Lawrie, Paul Manship, Edward McCartan, Hans Schuler, Frederick William Sievers and Laura Fraser were invited to submit designs.[5] Fraser was the only woman sculptor invited to enter the competition.[6] Her work was also part of the art competitions at the 1928 Summer Olympics and the 1932 Summer Olympics.[7]
In January 2016 a task force looking into Confederate monuments in Baltimore recommended that the monument to Jackson and Lee, along with a statue of Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Roger B. Taney, be removed. The commissioners recommended that the sculpture of Jackson and Lee be offered to the U.S. Park Service for installation in Chancellorsville, Virginia. The two Confederate generals last met in person shortly before the Battle of Chancellorsville in 1863.[8] The sculpture was removed in the early hours of August 16, 2017 by the City of Baltimore, in reaction to the unrest in Charlottesville, Virginia a few days prior. The future of this sculpture is undecided as the city tries to find a new home for it.

Last edited:
Evidently teaching to ignorance is prevalent in government agencies. This is right up there with niggardly being a racial slur. Long before the Ku Klux Klan was adopted by southerners after the Civil War the Ku Klux Klan was Greek.
Its name derives from Ancient Greek Κύκλος Ἀδελφών, meaning "Circle of Brothers." The organization quickly expanded throuhout the Southern United States, not only on college campuses but also cities where alumni settled. The reason it is on a West Point building is because it belongs there.

I guess you need to burn down the building to teach West Point a lesson. Free tuition for all Black West Point applicants would help in the healing process as well.

Evidently teaching to ignorance is prevalent in government agencies. This is right up there with niggardly being a racial slur. Long before the Ku Klux Klan was adopted by southerners after the Civil War the Ku Klux Klan was Greek.
Its name derives from Ancient Greek Κύκλος Ἀδελφών, meaning "Circle of Brothers." The organization quickly expanded throuhout the Southern United States, not only on college campuses but also cities where alumni settled. The reason it is on a West Point building is because it belongs there.
Damn....pretty stupid, I got ta say. I suppose that the hoods and all were Greek as well, right?

For your edification..God knows you could use some:

The 19th-century Klan was originally organized as a social club by Confederate veterans in Pulaski, Tennessee, in 1866. They apparently derived the name from the Greek word kyklos, from which comes the English “circle”; “Klan” was added for the sake of alliteration and Ku Klux Klan emerged. The organization quickly became a vehicle for Southern white underground resistance to Radical Reconstruction. Klan members sought the restoration of white supremacy through intimidation and violence aimed at the newly enfranchised Black freedmen. A similar organization, the Knights of the White Camelia, began in Louisiana in 1867.
In the summer of 1867, the Klan was structured into the “Invisible Empire of the South” at a convention in Nashville, Tennessee, attended by delegates from former Confederate states. The group was presided over by a grand wizard (Confederate cavalry general Nathan Bedford Forrest is believed to have been the first grand wizard) and a descending hierarchy of grand dragons, grand titans, and grand cyclopses. Dressed in robes and sheets designed to frighten superstitious Blacks and to prevent identification by the occupying federal troops, Klansmen whipped and killed freedmen and their white supporters in nighttime raids.

Damn....pretty stupid, I got ta say. I suppose that the hoods and all were Greek as well, right?

For your edification..God knows you could use some:

The 19th-century Klan was originally organized as a social club by Confederate veterans in Pulaski, Tennessee, in 1866. They apparently derived the name from the Greek word kyklos, from which comes the English “circle”; “Klan” was added for the sake of alliteration and Ku Klux Klan emerged. The organization quickly became a vehicle for Southern white underground resistance to Radical Reconstruction. Klan members sought the restoration of white supremacy through intimidation and violence aimed at the newly enfranchised Black freedmen. A similar organization, the Knights of the White Camelia, began in Louisiana in 1867.
In the summer of 1867, the Klan was structured into the “Invisible Empire of the South” at a convention in Nashville, Tennessee, attended by delegates from former Confederate states. The group was presided over by a grand wizard (Confederate cavalry general Nathan Bedford Forrest is believed to have been the first grand wizard) and a descending hierarchy of grand dragons, grand titans, and grand cyclopses. Dressed in robes and sheets designed to frighten superstitious Blacks and to prevent identification by the occupying federal troops, Klansmen whipped and killed freedmen and their white supporters in nighttime raids.
You are aware that West Point predates the Confederacy by a good many years, right? The northern generals and the southern generals were classmates at West Point.

The Ku Klux Klan existed as the Circle of Brothers long before the title was adopted by antebellum southerners. All explanations of the Klan as white supremacy are meaningless in the examination of historical meanings.

The word gay used to mean happy. "Don we now our gay apparel, did not mean dressing in drag when Deck The Halls was written.

You are aware that West Point predates the Confederacy by a good many years, right? The northern generals and the southern generals were classmates at West Point.

The Ku Klux Klan existed as the Circle of Brothers long before the title was adopted by antebellum southerners. All explanations of the Klan as white supremacy are meaningless in the examination of historical meanings.

The word gay used to mean happy. "Don we now our gay apparel, did not mean dressing in drag when Deck The Halls was written.
Do provide a link for the bolded...bet ya can't...at least, not one that's not Stormfront approved. Best you could do is a college frat--Kuklos Adelphon--one that did not exist at West Point at any time.

Given that in 1965...the year the triptych was installed..the Ku Klux Klan had one meaning and one meaning only--the hood and rifle say it all.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
After reading the full article I would be against it's removal. The reason given for it being there is legitimate and makes sense . In general I am against censorship including historical references.
No, it doesn't make sense. But I am sure you don't mind teaching CRT.

All references or symbols regarding the KKK need to go.

There is no explaining the KKK.

Do provide a link for the bolded...bet ya can't...at least, not one that's not Stormfront approved. Best you could do is a college frat--Kuklos Adelphon--one that did not exist at West Point at any time.

Given that in 1965...the year the triptych was installed..the Ku Klux Klan had one meaning and one meaning only--the hood and rifle say it all.
In 1965 the Ku Klux Klan had one meaning only. It just didn't start out that way.

I guess you need to burn down the building to teach West Point a lesson. Free tuition for all Black West Point applicants would help in the healing process as well.
More expected ignorance.

The KKK is an old and respected group. We would be much better off today if they still had their power.
I just LOVE Jerking your chain and seeing you twitch.
I don't twitch and the KKK is not respected. We are better off today because they are where they are now. I started this thread and you came in. So it appears I got you and it's funny to see how ignorant some people still are.

I don't twitch and the KKK is not respected. We are better off today because they are where they are now. I started this thread and you came in. So it appears I got you and it's funny to see how ignorant some people still are.
You never fail to disappoint.

I understand how it could give offense. But seriously, how hard are some folks straining to find little minutiae to be offended over?

Does that historical (albeit offensive) little engraved blob of metal say anything about West Point today? Do they have a Klass on the Kulture of the Konfederacy? Is anything preached by the degenerate shithead members of the KKK taught or endorsed by anyone at West Point? Is the science taught at West Point somehow infested by some ideological crap like the beliefs of the KKK?

I understand how it could give offense. But seriously, how hard are some folks straining to find little minutiae to be offended over?

Does that historical (albeit offensive) little engraved blob of metal say anything about West Point today? Do they have a Klass on the Kulture of the Konfederacy? Is anything preached by the degenerate shithead members of the KKK taught or endorsed by anyone at West Point? Is the science taught at West Point somehow infested by some ideological crap like the beliefs of the KKK?
In a word...yes. We are influenced by our environment..unconscious cues and arch-typical images inform our sub-conscious. A hooded man carrying a rifle..dubbed KKK. Seen everyday, by every cadet who has taken classes at the Science hall..which is to say all of them. Is it any wonder the racism pervaded the office corps for decades after?

Also, our country has a shameful past as regards racism and arguably the most egregious example of that is the KKK. For our military academy to represent that as OK..even in something as seemingly innocuous as a piece of art..is unacceptable.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Forum List

Back