Why is the Gov't Telling Americans How We Can (and Can't) Build Our Homes?

Should all regulations regarding the construction of private homes be eliminated?

• Total voters

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
Everyone knows that there are too many regulations, right?

Well, WHY is the gov't at all levels telling Americans how and where we can build our homes? There are requirements when it comes to the structure, and the distance between floor joists, and the wiring, and electrical outlets, and plumbing, and toilets, and drywall, and concrete/cement mixtures, and SO many other things.

Why shouldn't someone be able to build a home wherever he pleases however he pleases?

So, should all regulations regarding the construction of private homes be eliminated?

Please explain your vote if you choose to vote in the poll.

That's a rather conservative viewpoint! Congrats!

I will amend that to add that is a conservative view point if you're not being sarcastic, difficult to tell.

And yes, there are way too many regulations, and they do it so they can tax you, it's always about money and power, this is no different.

Should you be able to build a fire trap in the middle of a neighborhood? How about raw sewage from your toilet into your front yard? How about never cutting your grass, which allows for all kinds of vermin to live in it and become disease carrying pests for your neighbors?

I'm not thrilled with federal regulations on the subject, but I can see the need for state fire codes and local codes, simply because people suck and there is always a lowest common denominator in the neighborhood who won't do the right thing until forced to.

Everyone knows that there are too many regulations, right?

Well, WHY is the gov't at all levels telling Americans how and where we can build our homes? There are requirements when it comes to the structure, and the distance between floor joists, and the wiring, and electrical outlets, and plumbing, and toilets, and drywall, and concrete/cement mixtures, and SO many other things.

Why shouldn't someone be able to build a home wherever he pleases however he pleases?

So, should all regulations regarding the construction of private homes be eliminated?

Please explain your vote if you choose to vote in the poll.
Hey, you can't build your house on the beach or in a flood zone, and expect the taxpayers to rebuild it time and time again.

There are hundreds of reason why we regulate things, though not all are good of course.

Standardization is a good thing too.

Right now, I live in one of those totally hand built, unregulated homes you dream of.

The guy who built it is long dead, and every electrical and water connection is a baffling mystery.

But in general, I agree with your drift that there are many burdensome and silly regulations.

I had my dream home built about ten years ago. If there weren't standards, the builders could have had a field day with providing me with substandard work but charging me premium prices.

Regulations are fine for they protect the consumer from shoddy work. Codes are there to check that the work meets specifications that are continually being updated for our safety.

And I am thankful for those codes.

Of course I want regulation. Everyone does, whether they know it or not. How would you like it if someone situated their personal landfill right next to your bedroom window? Get serious . . .

Without building codes you'd have no idea what you're getting when you buy a house. For example, you want to trust the electrical work burried in walls by an electriction who didn't have to adhere to any building codes? I wouldn't.

Have a friend with an older home that predates some of the local codes. At the time it was built there were no requirements to have hot and cold shutoff valves under the kitchen or bathroom sinks, and ditto for all the H and C water pipes throughout the house. Thus if he wants to try to fix a leaky bathroom faucet he has to shut off water to the entire house.

I don't think anyone would argue for no regulations, but there are many that are unnecessary and only line the pockets of the local regulators and suppliers/builders.

I will amend that to add that is a conservative view point if you're not being sarcastic, difficult to tell.

And yes, there are way too many regulations, and they do it so they can tax you, it's always about money and power, this is no different.
The reason there are building codes is not so the government can further tax the owner/occupant. That's more than cynical, but less than conspiratorial. But it is in the wheelhouse of lunacy.

Which codes/regs would you like to see eliminated? Be specific.

Well, if a government shouldn't be allowed to tell us how to build our homes, they shouldn't be able to tell us how or when to fly the flag. Moreover, they should just stay out of our lives completely. But as far as this is concerned, building codes are there for a reason, they actually do protect you. So no. Keep them.

The reason there are building codes is not so the government can further tax the owner/occupant. That's more than cynical, but less than conspiratorial. But it is in the wheelhouse of lunacy.

It's not cynical or conspiratorial, it's fact.

Should you be able to build a fire trap in the middle of a neighborhood? How about raw sewage from your toilet into your front yard? How about never cutting your grass, which allows for all kinds of vermin to live in it and become disease carrying pests for your neighbors?

I'm not thrilled with federal regulations on the subject, but I can see the need for state fire codes and local codes, simply because people suck and there is always a lowest common denominator in the neighborhood who won't do the right thing until forced to.

The key is "state and local" codes.

It's not cynical or conspiratorial, it's fact.
I know that this is not true. But, you said we could do with fewer building regulations. Which regs should go? Be specific.

Local zoning works

again, the key being "local"
why? why do you find local intrusion and infringement on your freedoms more palatable than a federal law doing the same thing?
Would you then favor the elimination of all building codes and regulations?
not my argument at all. i'm just confused why a local edict is more acceptable than a federal one. the end result is the same.

Without building codes you'd have no idea what you're getting when you buy a house. For example, you want to trust the electrical work burried in walls by an electriction who didn't have to adhere to any building codes? I wouldn't.

Have a friend with an older home that predates some of the local codes. At the time it was built there were no requirements to have hot and cold shutoff valves under the kitchen or bathroom sinks, and ditto for all the H and C water pipes throughout the house. Thus if he wants to try to fix a leaky bathroom faucet he has to shut off water to the entire house.
My house was built by a highway engineer who could not even construct a driveway that didn't flood the garage in a heavy rain.

It is a mess, and the answer to all the mysteries went with him when he died.

It's comfortable and roomy though, and the deer hunting is pretty good too.

Forum List

Back